Natural Pressers: How do you get your hair to swing?

AstroQueen77

I'm wondering if it is possible. I hear that Paul Mitchell Super Skinny has that effect. Do you have any techniques or products that you use to get movement?

I'm wondering if it is possible. I hear that Paul Mitchell Super Skinny has that effect. Do you have any techniques or products that you use to get movement?

I dont use too much product before blow drying and I don't use pressing grease with the pressing comb.
But I do want to try that super skinny

Last edited:
The key for my hair is a good deep condition and minimal product before the press.
After the press, to keep the bounce I only apply coconut oil to the ends as needed. To help my edges lay, I may use castor oil under Hicks Edge control if I want to get fancy.

Also I get the best results when I let my TRUSTED professional stylist press it. I don't even own a flat iron or blow dryer. I leave chemicals (hair color) and heat up to my stylist.

I got my hair pressed last Tuesday & and it's still bouncy as ever.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of what it looks like today

ETA: I think your initial thought to try the PM serum would be good....just try to use a small amount.

Last edited:
Ditto on getting the best results with a trusted professional. I get a silk press and my hair swings for weeks. The key is not using too much product and doing a thorough blow dry and press. Natural hair can tolerate considerably more heat than relaxed hair so you can't be afraid of the heat. I'm not saying you should use it everyday or go crazy but recognize that if your goal is to straighten and get swinging hair then you'll need more than a low heat setting and don't seriously think about air drying unless your hair is either fine or not coarse.

Also, jojoba oil works well for shine but don't be heavy handed. Any heavy oil on your hair will weigh it down and eventually attract dirt. My stylist is against all oil and recommends Proclaim Glossing Polish. That works well too but I was using jojoba oil before I met her and just stuck with it.

ETA: OP, what is your reggie?

I don't think you have to go to a professional to get good results. It's all about good technique and not weighing the hair down with too much product. It's all about the initial blow dry, and using a lease in that makes the hair smooth. Using this method I am able to get my hair straighter and bouncer than any salon I've ever gone to.

mz.rae What products do you use and what is your technique? I will flat iron my daughter's spongy/cottony 4b/c hair soon.

ForumRunner_20131006_100049.jpg

The left picture is when I did my hair, and the right was when I went to the salon. Wasn't really happy with the salon results as I thought it could have straighter. Looking for another salon though, will try one that was recommended on here. My regimen I wash my hair with a Shampoo that's going to get all the old hair product out. Like Suave Daily Clarifying or Lush Shampoo can't remember the name. Then deep condition the hair for an hour with Silicon Bambu or Redken Silk Lock. After washing out and detangling I apply Lacio Lacio and Gvp Silk Infusion and braid up my hair. When my hair is slightly damp I unbraid apply heat Protectant and blow dry with my hot and silky blow dryer or the conair yellow bird. I use comb attachments on both. I mostly use the hot and silky dryer cause the hatchet dryer is easier to control for me. I then flat iron and pincurl.

View attachment 228209

The left picture is when I did my hair, and the right was when I went to the salon. Wasn't really happy with the salon results as I thought it could have straighter. Looking for another salon though, will try one that was recommended on here. My regimen I wash my hair with a Shampoo that's going to get all the old hair product out. Like Suave Daily Clarifying or Lush Shampoo can't remember the name. Then deep condition the hair for an hour with Silicon Bambu or Redken Silk Lock. After washing out and detangling I apply Lacio Lacio and Gvp Silk Infusion and braid up my hair. When my hair is slightly damp I unbraid apply heat Protectant and blow dry with my hot and silky blow dryer or the conair yellow bird. I use comb attachments on both. I mostly use the hot and silky dryer cause the hatchet dryer is easier to control for me. I then flat iron and pincurl.

Hmm...from the picture, it actually looks straighter and more polished/sleek on the right. Nice.

I don't think you have to go to a professional to get good results. It's all about good technique and not weighing the hair down with too much product. It's all about the initial blow dry, and using a lease in that makes the hair smooth. Using this method I am able to get my hair straighter and bouncer than any salon I've ever gone to.

I've seen some beautiful hair where people pressed it themselves. Matter of fact, when we moved to a new state and I was in between stylists...I did straighten my own hair before and got pretty good results. However my BEST results came from a stylist. More swing, more bounce just better. I know what I'm good at and getting that swing ain't one of them. Now it would be a different story if we were talking roller sets. I haven't met a stylist alive that can come close to my own roller sets. lol

Also keep in mind that I'm not a stylist hopper. Had 3 my entire life and the change was only because of moving around due to military orders. So trusted stylist is the foundation and knowing what they are good at as well is important.
If you can achieve that swang at home then keep on swanging girl. My stylist is natural and specializes in pressing natural hair.

Last edited:
I agree that you don't have to go to a salon to get good results. I have a lot of hair and it takes almost an hour to dry so its easier to let a professional do it because she is faster and it looks great. I can do it when money is tight but I consider salon visits to be pampering so I don't mind.

Having said all that, are you sure about the daily clarifying shampoo? Obviously its intended for daily use but I've never had a good experience using clarifying shampoos on a regular basis. Also, how much heat are you using?

I've seen some beautiful hair where people pressed it themselves. Matter of fact, when we moved to a new state and I was in between stylists...I did straighten my own hair before and got pretty good results. However my BEST results came from a stylist. More swing, more bounce just better. I know what I'm good at and getting that swing ain't one of them. Now it would be a different story if we were talking roller sets. I haven't met a stylist alive that can come close to my own roller sets. lol

Also keep in mind that I'm not a stylist hopper. Had 3 my entire life and the change was only because of moving around due to military orders. So trusted stylist is the foundation and knowing what they are good at as well is important.
If you can achieve that swang at home then keep on swanging girl. My stylist is natural and specializes in pressing natural hair.

Thanks and good for you! Yeah the stylist I go to I have been going to her since the 6th grade and have gone to her aunt. I was natural when I went to her a lot, and then went to her for relaxer touch ups when I got relaxed. Now that I'm natural again I've only went to her once (the picture above) and she has changed her technique. Plus I prefer to wear my hair straight and don't feel like spending all day in a salon to do so.

I agree that you don't have to go to a salon to get good results. I have a lot of hair and it takes almost an hour to dry so its easier to let a professional do it because she is faster and it looks great. I can do it when money is tight but I consider salon visits to be pampering so I don't mind.

Having said all that, are you sure about the daily clarifying shampoo? Obviously its intended for daily use but I've never had a good experience using clarifying shampoos on a regular basis. Also, how much heat are you using?

Yes I'm sure, I straighten my hair every two weeks on 320 with a Sedu flat iron.

Yes I'm sure, I straighten my hair every two weeks on 320 with a Sedu flat iron.

But wouldn't this be considered a flat iron and not a press? I'm confused, I thought we were talking about a pressing comb. Pressing results and flat iron results are totally different. Sorry not trying to hijack this thread...just want to make sure I'm using these terms right. lol

But wouldn't this be considered a flat iron and not a press? I'm confused, I thought we were talking about a pressing comb. Pressing results and flat iron results are totally different. Sorry not trying to hijack this thread...just want to make sure I'm using these terms right. lol

How so? lulu97

Sumra To me a pressing comb gets the hair straighter....at least for my hair it does. Also doesn't require small sections. She normally divides it into about 8 sections and runs the comb down once. Probably takes about 10 minutes tops.

For example: Last November, my stylist dropped her pressing comb and broke the handle the day of my appt and used a flat iron instead. My hair looked noticeably different and I was not satisfied because it was not what I was used to seeing when I leave the salon. It was pretty but just not the results I was looking for. All I kept thinking was dang I coulda did this myself! I have no problem voicing my opinion so needless to say, my next hair style was free. lol

Last edited:
Thanks lulu97. Good on you for getting the next one free:lol:

I get confused. I want my hair to have a bit of volume/texture because I have somewhat thin hair. Not sure pressing is for if it goes stick straight and flat to the head.

Sumra To me a pressing comb gets the hair straighter....at least for my hair it does. Also doesn't require small sections. She normally divides it into about 8 sections and runs the comb down once. Probably takes about 10 minutes tops.

For example: Last November, my stylist dropped her pressing comb and broke the handle the day of my appt and used a flat iron instead. My hair looked noticeably different and I was not satisfied because it was not what I was used to seeing when I leave the salon. It was pretty but just not the results I was looking for. All I kept thinking was dang I coulda did this myself! I have no problem voicing my opinion so needless to say, my next hair style was free. lol

I wish I can find a salon like yours where I live. Though I've known and gone to this lady forever, for some reason now that I'm older I want to try someone else. I do want to apologize to you and the other ladies in this thread if I came across snappy or having an attitude in my responses.

I wish I can find a salon like yours where I live. Though I've known and gone to this lady forever, for some reason now that I'm older I want to try someone else. I do want to apologize to you and the other ladies in this thread if I came across snappy or having an attitude in my responses.

I didn't think you were being snappy at all. Matter of fact, I knew exactly where you were coming from. I'm glad you responded and gave examples of your experience. :)

I agree the keys are:

Healthy hair to begin with

Use an appropriate amount of hear to get the hair straight

Deep condition to seal in moisture and strength

Use minimal prods after you wash and condition your hair.

My best in home result has been with no leave in and using heat protectant only.

Here are pics from salon and home press done with flat iron. The first is salon during my transition the second is a few weeks ago fully natural.

Attachments

• image-4130042099.jpg
    image-4130042099.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image-596242877.jpg
    image-596242877.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 73
abioni

Do you mean prevent wetness from showering or perspiration? To prevent the nape edges from getting wet in the shower, I wrapped my hair in the old school style, tied with my satin scarf, then placed 2 shower caps over that, making sure the edges are covered completely. As for perspiration, that was only prevented by wearing my hair up in a bun or chignon on hot days. Hair on my back makes me sweat.

When I was natural, I got the best swing by shampooing and conditioning with a volumizing set of products, and using a very light heat protectant, like a spray (i.e. CHI). Also if I wanted that light bounciness, I had to do a very hard press, i.e. High heat to get it very straight. Then, I would wrap it without putting any oils or serums on it. I also left my scalp completely clean, no oils or pomades, because when you wrap it, those oils on the scalp will seep into the hair.

Those tend to weigh your hair down if it is fine like mine, and it combs out stiff and oily from the wrap, and has no movement. The least amount of product used yielded the best results for me, but the great thing was that I had absolutely no heat damage from using only a tiny bit of product. Flat-ironing or pressing in small 1/2"-1" sections also gives good body and swing.

If your technique is right, you dont need a fancy $150 flat-iron and blow dryer. In fact, I would always air-dry my hair and stretch it while drying into banded ponytails. The blow-dryer = the death of my hair, so I stopped using them many years ago. To speed up drying time if you need to style but plain air-drying takes too long, you can stretch your hair however you like and sit under a hooded dryer.

I agree with havilland . Healthy hair is a must, and ragged ends will not allow for the swing and movement one desires...A good trim, if needed, always allows the hair better movement and it falls easier into place.

I too prefer a good pressing comb to a flat-iron. I find I have to use a small 1/2" flat iron with teeth for my edges, and it's easier to use a jumbo 2" wide flat-iron for the rest. But the old school pressing comb you use on the range/stove top or inside a stove for marcel irons give me the best, longest lasting results. The same is true for my daughter's 4a natural hair. Electric pressing combs just don't get it for me, and I have a ceramic electric one.

Last edited:
Ladies how do you prevent your edges, especially the back from getting wet?

I tie my hair up with a silk scarf then a cotton one over it. Then shower cap or turban.

For my edges so far I found a dab of good old pressing grease followed by Edge Control keeps them from reverting. But I HAVE to be careful and use just a DAB of grease ONLY on the edge hair. I can't let that grease get on the length of my hair At all.

The grease repels the natural perspiration I always get. I'm hot and sweat. So during a flat iron/press styling week no exercise for me.

This is all a pain in the "but" to me and that's why I don't do it often.

I use a small amount of bees wax all around the perimeter of my head. I brush my edges and then tie them up with a silk scarf to lay them down. The bees wax coats my edges but keeps them soft and it lasts for a few days at a time. I may have to do this twice a week while my hair is pressed or flat ironed, since they do get wet when I shower and wash my face.

I know you alternate but I think you'll have better results using more heat with a pressing comb. Obviously this depends on your hair as not everybody can take very high temperatures. My hair is mostly 4a and 4b and its thick. I use temps as high as 450 or 500 degrees when I'm straightening my hair. My hair can get straight with a lower setting but its more likely to revert and it won't have that lightness that is typical with bouncy, swinging hair. If I were you, I'd try gradually increasing the temperature on a small section of hair to see if that makes a difference.

I know you alternate but I think you'll have better results using more heat with a pressing comb. Obviously this depends on your hair as not everybody can take very high temperatures. My hair is mostly 4a and 4b and its thick. I use temps as high as 450 or 500 degrees when I'm straightening my hair. My hair can get straight with a lower setting but its more likely to revert and it won't have that lightness that is typical with bouncy, swinging hair. If I were you, I'd try gradually increasing the temperature on a small section of hair to see if that makes a difference.

Do you use an electric pressing comb? Or the old school kind?

Back