Flat Ironing Natural Hair...

Chimma

So I bought the fhi RVI 307 iron, and I tried to flat iron my hair. The iron gets my hair straight but definitely not silky and soft. My natural hair is silky when stretched and soft, but my flat ironed hair feels and looks drier and it doesn't have movement.
I had better results last year with a press. I've heard great reviews on this type of iron so I know that it isn't a problem with my ceramic ionic iron - how do you all with natural hair get a beautiful result with a flat iron? Do you need the same stuff that you use with a press?

Ericka

You should try using a light oil on each section of your hair when you flat iron (that's if your not doing this already).

Chimma

I think that I had my leave in conditioner, coconut milk, olive and avocado oil.

Should I start with clean hair and just apply a leave-in conditioenr and add a little oil before I flat iron and nothing else?

Chamber

Seems that I can only get silky hair when I rollerset first-I wash with Aveda- use Salerm 21 leave in and add CDHHB- I then use my chi iron with wonderful results.

NGC

[ QUOTE ]
Chamber said:
Seems that I can only get silky hair when I rollerset first-I wash with Aveda- use Salerm 21 leave in and add CDHHB- I then use my chi iron with wonderful results.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Chamber - you might get better results by rollersetting first.

Good Luck!

Carefree

[ QUOTE ]
Chamber said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! Rollersetting first works better for me too.

ChocoKitty

With ceramic flatirons your hair has to be completely dry. That means no applying oils and etc and then immediately flatironing. IMO you should apply all your products while still damp and let them dry into your hair. Dry as you normally would (air, blow dry, etc.) After your has completely dried --flatiron. Your hair should come out completely silky. Hopefully my explaination made sense...