Natural 4a needs help! Dry hair galore -_-

Ms Lala

I've been natural my whole life and I've always had dry hair. My ends break and my hair snaps and pops when I rub my hand through it. I've been deep conditioning weekly but I think it might be because there is protein in my conditioners? This week I deep conditioned with a homemade conditioner with avocado, banana, olive oil and coconut oil. Surprisingly, my hair felt DRIER after that. Afterwards I moisturized with Shea butter and coconut oil, and sealed with Vaseline(a technique i found on the board.) braided to sleep and wore a braidout today, I just feels dry and greasy. Dont know what I'm doing wrong.

Protein can definitely leave some people's hair feeling brittle. I would suggest trying a new conditioner as well as applying a leave in after rinsing it out then adding an oil. I would also leave the vaseline alone. If you are using heat regularly I would cut that out as well until your hair is moisturized properly because the heat is just drying it out further.

sillygirl82

I've been deep conditioning with honey, evoo, and one of my conditioners. I mix it all together, apply it, and let it stay on my hair for a few hours under plastic cap. That is helping a lot of my dryness.

Niapb

Alright last night I did SOMETHING, not sure what but my hair feels much better. My hair was all greasy and disgusting from the vaseline, but before I washed I basically drenched my head in EVOO. Let that sit for about an hour, washed with a clarifying shampoo, did an oil rinse (used EVOO again), rinsed that out with my Mane n Tail moisturizing conditioner, Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenshing conditioner, and Organix Coconut Milk conditioner (I like to mix them up), and immediately after that my hair felt softer. I was running my hair under the water for at least 5 extra minutes because my hair felt so smooth I swore there was still product in it. When I got out I moisturized my hair with Shea butter, braided it up, spritzed each braid with water and sealed with vaseline. (I'm doing the Seven Day Vaseline Challenge for breaking ends, which is why I keep using it.) WELL, this morning I took the braids out and my hair feels GREAT. Soft and not dry or snapping at all. My ends feel really soft because of the vaseline and I think that oil rinse really helped. I'm not sure what exactly made the huge difference but something did it.

virtuenow

Alright last night I did SOMETHING, not sure what but my hair feels much better. My hair was all greasy and disgusting from the vaseline, but before I washed I basically drenched my head in EVOO. Let that sit for about an hour, washed with a clarifying shampoo, did an oil rinse (used EVOO again), rinsed that out with my Mane n Tail moisturizing conditioner, Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenshing conditioner, and Organix Coconut Milk conditioner (I like to mix them up), and immediately after that my hair felt softer. I was running my hair under the water for at least 5 extra minutes because my hair felt so smooth I swore there was still product in it. When I got out I moisturized my hair with Shea butter, braided it up, spritzed each braid with water and sealed with vaseline. (I'm doing the Seven Day Vaseline Challenge for breaking ends, which is why I keep using it.) WELL, this morning I took the braids out and my hair feels GREAT. Soft and not dry or snapping at all. My ends feel really soft because of the vaseline and I think that oil rinse really helped. I'm not sure what exactly made the huge difference but something did it.

Very good! Now, all you have to do is try the oil rinsing out a few more times to get a feel for the level of "rinsing" you need...and you should notice the rinsing having more of an effect on your hairs moisture levels. I don't think you need to buy any new conditioners, but you should notice your hair actually respond to the conditioners you already have.

I do my oil rinses w/castor oil. So you may tweak it to also see what oil takes the best on your hair. Listen to me, I've only been doing this for about 2 1/2weeks and I think I'm a pro! But I've had hard, dry hair my whole natural journey-- until trying this. I even straightened my hair after doing it my 3rd time- and it gave my hair shine and weight I never had before-- I didn't need to moisturize the whole week (never before has this happened!)

Side note: Your pre poo will also take better if you coat your hair with aloe vera juice (avj)--the oil goes on top of the juice once its soaked into your hair (you'll notice the difference from just putting oil on your dry hair)

yardyspice

You are so right about the oil rinses. I pre-poo with oil if I am washing my hair but everyday between my shikakai cowash and my condish I use mustard oil. I then use my homemade leave in of Cantu Shea and aloe juice and my hair feels soft the next morning which is usually NOT the case for me.

Two words: oil rinse! In my five years as a natural, ihad only just been introduced to this and the aloe juice/coconut oil pre poo. Before that, my hair always felt hard. It even felt very stripped under water. No conditioner or deep conditioner ever helped Me. And trust me, I started threads just like this-asking the same question. Then I went out & bought every conditioner under the sun. Used heat/steam, overnight...etc.

Some people w/4ab hair just don't respond to market conditioners. If u are one of those ppl like me then try searching for the thread: "don't sleep on oil rinses". I will try & link u to the 2 threads when I get to a computer. Shea butter & mango butter & coconut oil on ur dry hair only temporarily soften. So ur gonna need something to lock in moisturize while Your hair is wet (i prefer castor oil rinses) and something to prevent the shampoo from strippiing any moisture (search for thread titled "moisture drenched pre poo"). These oil rinses should help your hair respond to the conditioners everyone mentioned alot better.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

virtuenow

You are so right about the oil rinses. I pre-poo with oil if I am washing my hair but everyday between my shikakai cowash and my condish I use mustard oil. I then use my homemade leave in of Cantu Shea and aloe juice and my hair feels soft the next morning which is usually NOT the case for me.

Thank you, I was wondering if I still need to pre-poo if I am just co-washing. But I didin't fully understand the rest of your post. You use a brand called Shikakai conditioner (?) and you oil rinse with mustard oil then you do another conditioner wash? Is that what you meant? Why 2 co washes?

yardyspice

The shikakai co-wash is from Long Hair Dont' Care. My mix isn't as involved as hers because I use it everyday. I just mix in some shikakai powder into my Vo5 and squirt in some oil. I use a bottle of Vo5 with about 1/4 of a box of shikakai powder and a squirt or two of oil which can be olive or coconut oil.

I do two co-washes because the shikakai leaves my hair strong but dry almost like a good shampoo. Perhaps the second conditioner is not really a co-wash as much as it is just a condish.

Here's some info on shikakai. I learned about it when I used to be a hard core lurker from a lady on here who grew her hair to waist length using ayurveda.

Last edited:

Kiki0130

Isn't it amazing how your hair feels after oil rinsing!! :drunk:I'm so glad that
you gave it a try. Before I began oil rinsing, my ends always felt
rough. I know I needed a trim so I just tried to ignore it until I was
ready to do that. After the very first time I immediately noticed how
smooth my ends felt. The only time I had that feeling since needing
a trim, I think, was when I used AfroDetangler. Well, I don't always
have AfroDetangler around but I always ALWAYS have olive oil here.

When people say their hair is dry and breaking I get so sad. There
are so many simple methods to get soft touchable hair and, if you're
like me, buying treatments and specialized conditioners is a luxury that
would displace paying for something important. Plus there is no
guarantee any treatment will work. I always defer to the least
expensive option first. :yep: