Natural 4a/b ladies... Need Advice PICS

Iluvsmuhgrass

For those of you that are 4a/b with different textures I have to ask.... how do you style your hair? I tried a modified shingling method today and I'm not sure how I feel about it. My hair is relatively fine..... soooo when I put a medium to heavy product on it the ends straighten out in some places. It's not heat damage or relaxed hair.... it's just what my grass does. The crown has an odd wave pattern that straightens out on the end but it's VERY coarse. The back is coily (some places are tighter than others) and it's very soft at my nape. The sides.....cottony. I love my hair when it's in a fro but when I try to do something like this... I just feel it looks... odd. I'm still loving the shrinkage though. :yep: Shrinkage is amazing! The hair in the front when stretched, comes down to my eyebrows.

So should I just give up the ghost when it comes to semi-uniform curl definition? What do you guys do when shingling or doing wng's?

Sorry about the shiny face. BTW My hair looks coated but it's not. It's actually feeling pretty grand. The last pic was from when I was transitioning. Notice how it is coily at the top then turns into a wavy straight ....thing. :sad: Anyways, any advice?

3 months post BC - 36 weeks post relaxer

Attachments

• P1010085.jpg
    P1010085.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010090.jpg
    P1010090.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 180
  • texture1.JPG
    texture1.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 166

Addy3010

That last picture you posted is how the back of my head looks...I have every texture, and some fine, some thick. There is no such thing as uniformity on my head. Ok anyway those straighter pieces do get weighed down with gel but when they dry they are a little less noticeable. I have long given up on frizz free uniform hair. Advice no...but i were in the same boat.

Creatividual

I feel you. I have different textures on my hair as well. The hair in the front and sides are finer/silkier than the rest of my hair which is coily and doesn't hold styles as well. I like twist outs and braid outs and usually to ensure that the front and sides get and keep definition, I have to twist or braid those areas in smaller sections. Sometimes I have to use slightly different and lighter "styling" products on them also.

ALWAYZL8

I, too, have different textures. I used to be so worried about it. One day I was so over it. The more it gows out, the less concerned you'll be with the different textures. Just keep the routine simple and it will all balance itself out.

Truth

For those of you that are 4a/b with different textures I have to ask.... how do you style your hair? I tried a modified shingling method today and I'm not sure how I feel about it. My hair is relatively fine..... soooo when I put a medium to heavy product on it the ends straighten out in some places. It's not heat damage or relaxed hair.... it's just what my grass does. The crown has an odd wave pattern that straightens out on the end but it's VERY coarse. The back is coily (some places are tighter than others) and it's very soft at my nape. The sides.....cottony. I love my hair when it's in a fro but when I try to do something like this... I just feel it looks... odd. I'm still loving the shrinkage though. :yep: Shrinkage is amazing! The hair in the front when stretched, comes down to my eyebrows.

So should I just give up the ghost when it comes to semi-uniform curl definition? What do you guys do when shingling or doing wng's?

Sorry about the shiny face. BTW My hair looks coated but it's not. It's actually feeling pretty grand. The last pic was from when I was transitioning. Notice how it is coily at the top then turns into a wavy straight ....thing. :sad: Anyways, any advice?

3 months post BC - 36 weeks post relaxer

Dont give up yet! Have you tried the curly girl method?? www.tightlycurly.com this may work for you, maybe some finger coils will help. For me I really didn't start to see serious definition until my hair got longer. Now for a wash n go if I have time i'll do a rake n shake with some ecostyler and call it a day. Other then that I would wash it add leave ns and let it do it's own thing.

I think it looks good in those pics tho :yep:

virtuenow

shingling really seems like a joke unless you have loose type 3 hair that basically shingles itself anyway. Terri at tightlycurly.com has a great technique that appears to work for type 3 and silky 4a hair. Its called "twirling" or "curly primer". It works with your hairs natural clumping and defines each clump piece by piece. This is rather than the large, wide rows of the shingling technique. That way you can deal w/the natural pattern of your different textures

JustSimplyTish

I have all kinds of textures in my head......I finger coil, twirl or whatever it is called and it leaves me with great ringlets and curls

EDIT: OOOps...sorry I am not 4a/4b.....I just be responding

Last edited:

Soliel185

It's never really bothered me...

I have at least 3 textures on my head...maybe 4 :scratchch:

I've never truly shingled, but I rake gel through my hair after washing/conditioning. and I wear wng's almost exclusively. I do use different amounts of product for the different parts of my head though. The front is more wavy than curly, so too much product would weigh it down.

I plop after applying my products, and that gives me the best definition. :lick:

I have tons of pics in my fotki also. :yep:

Nonie

I have 4B hair and I just love my hair combed out. I don't have different textures so I probably should've stayed out of this thread, but just wanted to say shingling/WNGs aren't the only things you can do with your hair for a change. Braidouts/twistouts/bantu knotouts, strawsets...are examples of things you can do with your hair when you want a change from afros. If it doesn't look good to you, it probably isn't meant to be.

WNGs on 4B hair looked like uncombed/unkempt hair to me. I think they look great on 4A and 3's though.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I have 4B hair and I just love my hair combed out. I don't have different textures so I probably should've stayed out of this thread, but just wanted to say shingling/WNGs aren't the only things you can do with your hair for a change. Braidouts/twistouts/bantu knotouts, strawsets...are examples of things you can do with your hair when you want a change from afros. If it doesn't look good to you, it probably isn't meant to be.

WNGs on 4B hair looked like uncombed/unkempt hair to me. I think they look great on 4A and 3's though.

Girl stoppit. You know I'm always up for and open to good advice. :yep:

I've done a few knotouts and it came out ok but right now I'm still at a twa stage so I think that limits with what I can do. I think it looks odd but future hubby got home and played in it so I don't know if it looks horrendous or if it's just me.

I usually just rock a fro but I decided to go for something different. When I fro it, you can't tell... but I like to change up from time to time and was experimenting with this technique. It was actually a blend of shingling and the curly nikki method.

Nonie

I think comb coils look cute and neat/orderly. Now this mess some crazy stylist did on my hair is just gag-inducing; I hate how it looks pieces of poo going every which way. Makes you imagine it smells too. :barf:

I think cornrows with a combed out afro puff in the back look so cute, even though I do say so myself.

I think Curlformers would also be great even w/o heat. I know I loved how they looked on my mom's TWA. This was it afterward. This (on the left) was her hair before.

Sianna

My hair is relatively fine..... soooo when I put a medium to heavy product on it the ends straighten out in some places. It's not heat damage or relaxed hair.... it's just what my grass does. The crown has an odd wave pattern that straightens out on the end but it's VERY coarse. The back is coily (some places are tighter than others) and it's very soft at my nape. The sides.....cottony.

I think you might be my hair twin!!! This describes my hair almost EXACTLY!!

I don't mind my different textures terribly much, but I have found a way to define my curls in a way that looks mostly uniformed. The wavy parts in the top are a little annoying though.

On the second pic, you can really see the spiky pieces in the top. That's where my hair is that weird wavy texture.:ohwell:

Anyway, the technique I used to define my curls is as follows.

1. Co-wash and and towel dry

2. Moisturize with Care Free Curl Gold (to prevent hair from drying out)

3. Go through hair section by section with gel.(shingling?) I did small areas to make sure I really saturated my hair with gel. I used Organic Root Stimulator's Twist and Lock gel. It is lighter than most gels so it might not weigh your hair down as much. Though it will add enough weight to give a slightly more elongated curl! :yep:

4. I carefully massaged my scalp to break up the clumps of hair. (It looked a MESS at this stage!! :lachen:)

5. I sprayed it with water. LOTS AND LOTS of water!

6. Finally, I went into the shower and shook my head like a crazy woman! This did wonders to separate the coils while also elongating them as well. The parts in the top remained elongated as well, even when they dried. They did coil a bit though, and did not look quite as spiky.

Hope that helps!!

Iluvsmuhgrass

^^^ GIRL YES!!!! ^^^ I'm so glad somebody else feels my pain. It bugs me when I try to define it, but at least it's healthy. When I was relaxed that was so temperamental.

Sianna

^^^ GIRL YES!!!! ^^^ I'm so glad somebody else feels my pain. It bugs me when I try to define it, but at least it's healthy. When I was relaxed that was so temperamental.

You know what this means right??? If you try this method, you MUST POST PICS!!! I want to see the results!!! :grin::yep::grin:

For me, Organic Root Stimulator Twist and Lock Gel (gotta find a way to shorten this!) is the TRUTH for curl definition!!! I tried this with Eco styling gel too, but it didn't work as well. The ORS gel just has a completely different feel to it. It works great for twists too, and the twist outs are AMAZING!!

It dries with a nice hold too. Not too crunchy, but there is definitely a nice hold there. I don't know if you use glycerin moisturizers, but if you want to keep the style for a few days, you can rewet it the next day with water and/or a glycerin moisturizer. (I use both) And it will maintain its hold, but not be as hard. :yep:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Have you tried the smoothing method of gel application? I've noticed that I get better results from my hair by smoothing product over instead of raking. Raking may work for my nape and areas around my ears, but the crown and back seem to respond better to smoothing. Of course this may change as my hair gets longer.

virtuenow

Yeah, Nonie, they call it a wash-n-NO 'round these parts. I don't even speak wash-n-go language. It is quite foreign.

Iluvsmuhgrass

UPDATE: It fluffed up after I slept on it and I :love: it. The longer I go, the bigger it gets. I moisturize, do a few finger coils if needed, and keep it moving.

As far as wng's.... right now my 4a/b hair doesn't mind them at all. I may not look like I stepped off of the cover of Vogue :lol: but I have very little shedding, virtually no breakage, and I'm getting good growth so I guess I must be doing something right. Low maintenance is key for me. I don't even really comb my hair much except for a little detangling. At this stage it doesn't require alot of manipulation. I primarily use my fingers and I don't have a problem with detangling at all. That will probably change as it gets longer.... I shall see.

I'm learning my hair and listening to it... if that makes sense. I take lessons for hair like I do lessons on life. I pay attention, take note, and what I feel I may not be able to use at that time, I just file away for later use.... and I just toss that which serves no purpose whatsoever.