The Only Setback I have about being Natural is...

MissMeWithThatIsh

Shrinkage.

I love how my looks wet, heavy, and full of conditioner... I like playing with it, and I like washing it all the time.

Last night, it was a big thick mop of funky fun when I went to the movies. (Tropic Thunder is hilarious BTW!). When we got home, it was like 80% smaller IMO. Went to sleep and and the curls have shrunken to ridiculously tiny proportions.

Shrinkage is a part of natchal life, I know. But, this shrinkage is keeping me from enjoying my hair out in it's natural state. I am not against my hair type, but I don't want to flaunt SL if it's just a TWA. It doesn't flatter my features the way I wish it would.

I've tried the Conditioner method, I've tried heavy gels, I'm tried shingling, but I think I might have to explore more options. I have done thebaking soda thing and my hair is softer and silkier but the shrinkage is not stopping.

ajargon02

Well it probably never will. I have apl in the back clavicle length on the sides and chin length for my bangs, with 70-80% shrinkage. When I wash my hair it shrinks WAYYYY up. I don't mind it though, it took a while to get there but I do like it. Now if you KNOW that you can't deal with shrinkage and you aren't into protective styles that have been stretched, maybe try texturizing..................or just wait till your hair grows out and hope the weight along with the right products will help it not to shrink up as much. I know that probably wasn't really helpful, but hey, I am sure that others will come in and offer you some suggestions :)

Southernbella.

There are lots of ways to stretch out your hair. Warm blowdryer, diffuser, banding, braidout/twistouts, flat ironing (if you don't mind heat). Yeah, shrinkage is a part of natchal life, but you don't have to be a slave to it.:grin:

Starr1

My only suggestion is to grow your hair out incredibly long so it'll at least look like it's sort of long. . . my hair is at tailbone but depending on the conditions it can shrink up to BSL!

MissMeWithThatIsh

Well it probably never will. I have apl in the back clavicle length on the sides and chin length for my bangs, with 70-80% shrinkage. When I wash my hair it shrinks WAYYYY up. I don't mind it though, it took a while to get there but I do like it. Now if you KNOW that you can't deal with shrinkage and you aren't into protective styles that have been stretched, maybe try texturizing..................or just wait till your hair grows out and hope the weight along with the right products will help it not to shrink up as much. I know that probably wasn't really helpful, but hey, I am sure that others will come in and offer you some suggestions :)

It wasn't helpful but... :rolleyes:

Nah, I'm just playing. Any response is helpful.
I'm a former tex head, and my hair's too many textures for me to feel comfy texlaxing. I'm scared. Sareca and vinDieselswifey are inspiring for me... but I feel like I'm giving up on myself and my hair by texlaxing right now without exhausting all options.

It's been dancing in my head though. :lachen:

MissMeWithThatIsh

There are lots of ways to stretch out your hair. Warm blowdryer, diffuser, banding, braidout/twistouts, flat ironing (if you don't mind heat). Yeah, shrinkage is a part of natchal life, but you don't have to be a slave to it.:grin:

I've never heard of banding.
Thank you.
I don't want to be a slave to it, its scary... lol...
I look like corbin bleu when it's wet, and like a scarecrow when it dries.

I also think I owe it to myself to know how to deal with my hair for the sake of my children. I want them to love their hair and know chemicals aren't the 'only' way.

Nonie

Why do you sleep with your hair out? Why don't you put it in plaits for the night. If I went to bed with my hair not plaited, I'd have to shave it off the next day coz it'd go flat like a door mat and I'd not be able to get a comb through. Try plaiting it at night. Not only will this keep tangles at bay, it will also help reduce the shrinkage a little. Here's the difference in the size of my puff when I didn't plait my hair for the night vs when I did.

This first pic shows the puff I get when I don't plait my hair. I had twisted it instead, following the advice of another natural and then baggied. As you can see, shrinkage galore!

In this second photo, I returned to my usual regimen of plaiting at night then baggying. Even with the wetness from baggying, I still had a fairly good sized puff--bigger than the one above anyway:

MissMeWithThatIsh

Thanks... well yesterday was a RARE experience for me. My hair is usually tied up in braids and covered under my wig. I was just nto feeling too good and went right to sleep.

Nice puff tho!

Whimsy

I love shrinkage. I'm sorry you don't. Maybe just do braidouts/twistouts till your hair gets super long so that it'll be weighed down enough so shrinkage isn't a factor?

200AndOne

I don't love shrinkage either lauryn, i feel you. but you hair is bea-u-ti-ful!, stretched or shrunken. I hate that i must agree w/ the tenet of 'grow it until your unstretched length is where u want it' but that's basically what it is IMHO, and at your rate, u'll be there in no time. keep on inspiring!

SEMO

My only suggestion is to grow your hair out incredibly long so it'll at least look like it's sort of long. . . my hair is at tailbone but depending on the conditions it can shrink up to BSL!
I agree. My hair is BSL stretched but usually shrinks up to shoulder length. If I sleep with it loose it's even more shrunken the next day. I think I need to get to MBL for my hair to hang how I want it too w/ shrinkage.

MissMeWithThatIsh

I don't love shrinkage either lauryn, i feel you. but you hair is bea-u-ti-ful!, stretched or shrunken. I hate that i must agree w/ the tenet of 'grow it until your unstretched length is where u want it' but that's basically what it is IMHO, and at your rate, u'll be there in no time. keep on inspiring!

Aww thanks girl.
That reminds me my Fotki needs an update. :lachen:

MrsQueeny

Yeah even with a braid out, my hair is only about shoulder length even though it is mbl stretched. It is just something I've come to accept. Q

SouthernTease

I don't mind shrinkage... as long as my hair gets to MBL stretched I'm good...
plus... this banding thing works for me too... even on my NL hair

Leeda.the.Paladin

Some days I hate, but I know it's just a part of being natural. And like someone else said, without it, I wouldn't have my texture. I'm waiting for my hair to grow out so it won't matter as much. Once it gets SL or BSL unstretched. I'll be happy with my shrinkage.

Until then I occasionally do things like dry twist/twist outs to help show some length. On a positive note, it is nice in this humid weather not to have hair all on my neck and shoulders.

NigerianGirl

time to keep the natural styles up.....I am noticing that to keep natural heair requires alot of time, I love the shrinkage but the time is a BIG factor for me. Dc, rinse, part, oil, massage scalp, rinse, co-wash, part, and style---:sad:UGH!!! thress hours have already passed and I am STILL not finished:nono:. Puffs always leave bulbs on the end or pepprcorn strands:perplexed