natural 4A/4B

YuNg

why am i the only one who just gets greasy hair with no moisture using products? My hair felt like a greasy broom after i put tea tree oil and jojoba oil by ORS in my hair. My only look of changing the feel of my hair is through vitamins. You guys think im lying especially nonie but i have the worst hair texture on the planet.

Shinka

you should try the no oil method. granted I only being doing for a day ( hair feels soft and great with carefree curl 99% oil free leave in), but I have had the same problem with my hair not absorbing oils ( unless with heat...hot oil treatment). Try using emollients and humectants. Check out this article for the no oil routine.

http://www.ourhair.net/ go to SNIPS Q&A link, then go the the article about do yo uneed oil in our hair.

Hope this helps

Nonie

I don't doubt you about the oily scalp/hair coz that's how come you have sebhorric dermatitis. But I don't believe you have the worst hair texture in the world.

Yung, I missed it if you already shared, but what's your hair care regimen? Please tell us from pre-shampoo treatment - if you do one (what you use) - to shampooing, conditioning, etc. Please name each product and how you use it. Perhaps someone might see what you need to change.

YuNg

i use prescription Nizoral shampoo and then use lekair cholesterol. I have no problem with breakage. I have no curl definition that i would like. Just zig zags thick strands.

soulchild

Are you sure you're not experiencing any breakage? I could be wrong but I could have sworn that you have complained of breakage before? Or is the problem resolved now? Holla back. And my advice to you,stop using the ORS products

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
why am i the only one who just gets greasy hair with no moisture using products? My hair felt like a greasy broom after i put tea tree oil and jojoba oil by ORS in my hair. My only look of changing the feel of my hair is through vitamins. You guys think im lying especially nonie but i have the worst hair texture on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oil does not moisturize your hair. Oils can act as a protectant or give shine but oils do not add moisture because they do not contain water. Check the ingredients on the back of your hair moisturizer. Does it have water listed as one of the first ingredients? Water must be listed as an ingredient if it is a moisturizer.

My favorite hair moisturizer is ORS Olive oil in the jar. Water is the first ingredient. It is a little greasy. It does contain bad ingredients like cones, parabens and mineral oil - but I love the stuff.

YuNg,
You have got to learn to love and accept your hair texture because your hair is always going to be that way. Curls will never grow from your scalp and there is nothing wrong with that. You could take 2,000,000 mg of MSM a day and your hair texture will not change! MSM & other supplements may make your hair softer and thicker but they do not change the natural shape of your hair follicle. Nappy 4a, 4b, 5q, whatever type hair is just as beautiful as Andre's 1,2 & 3's.

This nappy hair hatred has got to stop. Thick coarse hair is not a disease it's a blessing. Be happy that you have hair. You could have bald spots from your severe dermatitis. I know...I used to have balding & thinning areas & scalp burns from severe dermatitis and relaxer damage.

Shinka is right. If ORS is not working for you try using emollients and humctants.

Look at the label...Know what you are buying.

Try looking for these ingredients to for moisture: Water, infused water, Cetearyl Alcohol, glycerin, aloe vera, honey extract, honeysuckle extract

Keep in mind that my suggestions may not work for you. If one product doesn't work try another one. I am not trying to encourage product junkism but learning how to deal with natural hair is trial and error.

Good Luck!

Tara

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember but have you tried any glycerin based products (not on the scalp but the hair) like Sta-Sof-Fro or Curl Activator?

Try that if you haven't.

YuNg

well whats all this talk about relaxer free from msm success? I cant use any products my hair will soak it up and just be dry and flaky again

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
Nappy 4a, 4b, 5q, whatever type hair is just as beautiful as Andre's 1,2 & 3's.

This nappy hair hatred has got to stop. Thick coarse hair is not a disease it's a blessing. Be happy that you have hair. You could have bald spots from your severe dermatitis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, not laughing at what you said, but how you said it. Go on and keep it real.
That being said, I totally agree. The self hate thing is entirely played out.

Anyway, yung, re MSM, while some people's hair texture has slightly loosened from MSM use, there are also a number of other members who have not (that is not to say that it doesn't have other benefits). If you do a search on the supplement, you will find people on both sides of the fence. Anyway, good luck with everything. It looks like you got some great suggestions, and I hope you're successful with them.

skegeesmb

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Oil does not moisturize your hair. Oils can act as a protectant or give shine but oils do not add moisture because they do not contain water. Check the ingredients on the back of your hair moisturizer. Does it have water listed as one of the first ingredients? Water must be listed as an ingredient if it is a moisturizer.

My favorite hair moisturizer is ORS Olive oil in the jar. Water is the first ingredient. It is a little greasy. It does contain bad ingredients like cones, parabens and mineral oil - but I love the stuff.

YuNg,
You have got to learn to love and accept your hair texture because your hair is always going to be that way. Curls will never grow from your scalp and there is nothing wrong with that. You could take 2,000,000 mg of MSM a day and your hair texture will not change! MSM & other supplements may make your hair softer and thicker but they do not change the natural shape of your hair follicle. Nappy 4a, 4b, 5q, whatever type hair is just as beautiful as Andre's 1,2 & 3's.

This nappy hair hatred has got to stop. Thick coarse hair is not a disease it's a blessing. Be happy that you have hair. You could have bald spots from your severe dermatitis. I know...I used to have balding & thinning areas & scalp burns from severe dermatitis and relaxer damage.

Shinka is right. If ORS is not working for you try using emollients and humctants.

Try looking for these ingredients to for moisture: Water, infused water, Cetearyl Alcohol, glycerin, aloe vera, honey extract, honeysuckle extract

Keep in mind that my suggestions may not work for you. If one product doesn't work try another one. I am not trying to encourage product junkism but learning how to deal with natural hair is trial and error.

Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Omigoodness, you must be reading my mind. YuNg, you HAVE to stop talking about your 4a/4b hair like that. Ok your hair is never going to be like bizzybone, SO WHAT! All you have spewed is negativity and hate about yourself, it is so sad to read. Give your hair a chance. I just can't believe that your hair can't grow. Look at people like Jimi Hendrix, look at people like the Jackson's (before they went texturized) they all had 4b hair and it grew grew grew.

Your negativity and stress can definately play a role in your stunted growth. Stress causes breakage and hair loss. If you get out of the mindset that your hair can't grow and relax a bit you just might surprise yourself. You need to visit boards like www.ourhair.net, and www.nappturality.com (which is down at the moment) to see that 4b hair that is natural can grow.

YuNg, you are not the only one in the world with 4a/b hair. There are many of us that do have. I have parts of my hair that are 4a and you better believe it grows just as fast as the rest of my hair. These women on this board should prove to you that 4a/b hair does grow, there are many with past shoulderlength and longer hair. My hair is past shoulderlength and the 4a did nothing to hinder that. Please try to accept your hair as it is, and treat it with care. That at least, is the first step.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
well whats all this talk about relaxer free from msm success? I cant use any products my hair will soak it up and just be dry and flaky again

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think that people are bringing up MSM because you said that supplements are the only thing that has changed the feel of your hair. The positive talk about being relaxer free was brought up because you said that you have the worst hair texture in the world.

I see that you have already made up your mind that you can't use products on your hair because your hair will soak it up and it will be dry and flaky again. The ladies on this board have given you a lot of good suggestions on dealing with your hair. All you have to do now is open your mind up a little and keep trying until you find a product that is right for you...and If you don't find a good product you don't have to use one. There are a lot of naturals that no-poo and use no products on their natural hair.

Like I said before learning how to deal with your hair is a lot of trial and error. Keep researching & eventually you will come up with a hair routine that works for you.

YuNg

but everybody who is 4A/4B seems to have better texture than mine like den1 for example. My afro looks so weird because it sticks straight up with them thick zig zag strands. when i say thick i mean dog wisker thick

Nonie

Denise's hair (Den1) is long and that's one reason it doesn't stick up. Secondly, Denise has perfected her hair-care regimen so that she can have her hair looking its best, while you're still in the discovering stages of your regimen. Thirdly, Denise braids her hair, which is a wonderful way to grow and care for natural hair; you've yet to do that. So that's an unfair comparison.

Yung, hun, you need to stop comparing yourself with people. Admire them, yes but don't look at them and then look at your hair. That'll only make you despair. By all means, find out their secret. Something in it might work for you. If it doesn't, then perhaps someone else holds the secret you seek. Remember, many of these people didn't just start having nice hair after they joined the board. Hair-care is something they have taken seriously for most of their lives and something they've educated themselves on for ages. Granted, there are those born with Rapunzel genes who just sleep and their hair just grows nice and shiny with no effort on their part. But for the majority of us, we have to work hard to achieve good results. And if you ask me, I think I like the idea that I will be able to take credit for when my hair looks like Denise's; it'll be from hard work, not an inheritance.

I am still learning and haven't fine-tuned a regimen. But I am so confident and focused on that, such that length rarely crosses my mind. I wish you'd be positive too and measure your success not by what you haven't got, but by what you have achieved thus far. The fact that you've learnt not to apply creams to your scalp is a step forward. You also know what doesn't work for you...from trial and error. That in itself is a major achievement. There is still a wealth of info out there. I know you use Nizarol.... Is that working? If not, have you considered using a natural shampoo like Emu Oils Shampoo which not only helps with dandruff/oily scalp but also stimulates hair follicles?

It might help us help you better if you tried one thing only for a few weeks and then reported back the results. Your experiences might match someone else's who will then be able to recommend a solution that worked better for him/her.

YuNg

i told you cant braid my hair because my girfriend cant grip my crown hair or my sides. My crown is about 1/4th long the front top is about an inch the sides are about 3/4ths and the very back is about 3/4ths. I would love to have my hair braided.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
but everybody who is 4A/4B seems to have better texture than mine like den1 for example. My afro looks so weird because it sticks straight up with them thick zig zag strands. when i say thick i mean dog wisker thick

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I am talking about. You need to stop comparing your hair to others. First of all den1 has been working with her natural hair for years and her hair is in great condition. You also need to stop comparing your hair to Bone Thugs in Harmony because you have no idea what they do to their hair. They may all have texturizers for all you know.

NOBODY HERE HAS A BETTER TEXTURE THAN YOU DO!
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD OR BAD HAIR!

You need to retrain your thinking about nappy hair & just get over it because your hair is always going to be coarse. Even if you had a relaxer your new growth will always be coarse.

You just have to learn how to accept & work with your natural hair texture because your dermatologist told you not to perm anymore.

What products have you tried?
How long has it been since you last used a relaxer? If it has been less than 6 months scab hair may be the culprit of your dry hair.

Severe dermatitis can cause a lot of problems with your hair. When your scalp is in bad condition chances are you hair will be in bad condition also. I am not making this up. I am speaking from experience. I have had severe Dermatitis. I have even had to go through the healing of a nasty oozing scalp. When my scalp was in bad condition my hair was in bad condition also.

You need to have some patience, toughen up a little, and stop complaining about your natural hair texture. You just started your hair care journey & you have a long way to go. Results do not come overnight.

There is nothing wrong with your hair texture…God does not make mistakes.

I know that I am being very blunt with you. I am not very good at sugar coating what comes out of my mouth or keyboard. I’m apologize in advance if you take offence to anything that I just posted – but you know that I am speaking the truth.

I REPEAT: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR NATURAL HAIR TEXTURE!!!

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
NOBODY HERE HAS A BETTER TEXTURE THAN YOU DO!
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GOOD OR BAD HAIR!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please take heed to what she's saying.

Nonie

I wasn't suggesting you braid your hair. I was just pointing out to you why you shouldn't compare yourself with Denise. And the fact that you can't brings me back to this point: not everyone's secret will work for you. Denise's secret includes braiding. But if braiding doesn't work for you, then hers isn't the regimen you seek.

Have you asked people with TWAs or hair too short to braid how they maintain their hair? That might be a start. Have you ever asked for help at Nappturality.com? I believe it's replete with experts on natural hair. People with relaxed hair seek the advice of those with relaxed hair and try to emulate their regimen in the hope that it will work for them. So do likewise; seek people with your hair texture and even length. Their advice may be more useful to you now than that of people whose regimen works for long hair, like Denise. Just a thought.

YuNg

i wasnt comparing myself to bone thugs n harmony i know i'll never have hair like that. I havent had a perm in almost four years. I havent done nothing to my hair but try to let it recover trying doo gro mega thick for months no results. ORS for months no results. Profectiv for months no results. Nioxin for months No results. The doctors said nothing was wrong with my scalp before i got dermatitis.

skegeesmb

What I meant YuNg, is that it doesn't matter if you don't have that 3b/c texture. Just be glad you don't have patches of obvious bald hair. If you still have dermatitis you hair might not do much of anything until that condition is cured. How long was your hair when you had the relaxer in it?

YuNg

i didnt have a relaxer i had and S-curl texturizing kit. My hair wasnt any longer than it currently is.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:
i wasnt comparing myself to bone thugs n harmony i know i'll never have hair like that. I havent had a perm in almost four years. I havent done nothing to my hair but try to let it recover trying doo gro mega thick for months no results. ORS for months no results. Profectiv for months no results. Nioxin for months No results. The doctors said nothing was wrong with my scalp before i got dermatitis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried no-poo? A no-poo routines have worked wonders for other naturals with dry hair and dry scalps. It can't hurt.

Nonie

AFashionSlave,

YuNg's problem is overactive sebaceous glands that release too much oil. Can a no-poo method help with the overproduction of oil? Is there something out there that can help that isn't necessarily a shampoo?

cutebajangirl

[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:
[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:

[/ QUOTE ]

YuNg,

Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Omigoodness, you must be reading my mind. YuNg, you HAVE to stop talking about your 4a/4b hair like that. Ok your hair is never going to be like bizzybone, SO WHAT! All you have spewed is negativity and hate about yourself, it is so sad to read. Give your hair a chance. I just can't believe that your hair can't grow. Look at people like Jimi Hendrix, look at people like the Jackson's (before they went texturized) they all had 4b hair and it grew grew grew.

Your negativity and stress can definately play a role in your stunted growth. Stress causes breakage and hair loss. If you get out of the mindset that your hair can't grow and relax a bit you just might surprise yourself. You need to visit boards like www.ourhair.net, and www.nappturality.com (which is down at the moment) to see that 4b hair that is natural can grow.

YuNg, you are not the only one in the world with 4a/b hair. There are many of us that do have. I have parts of my hair that are 4a and you better believe it grows just as fast as the rest of my hair. These women on this board should prove to you that 4a/b hair does grow, there are many with past shoulderlength and longer hair. My hair is past shoulderlength and the 4a did nothing to hinder that. Please try to accept your hair as it is, and treat it with care. That at least, is the first step.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoot!!! the 4b part of my hair grows faster than the 2a.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
AFashionSlave,

YuNg's problem is overactive sebaceous glands that release too much oil. Can a no-poo method help with the overproduction of oil? Is there something out there that can help that isn't necessarily a shampoo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question nonie!
Because he said that his scalp was flaky I assumed that he had seborrheic dermatitis like I had. I figured that a no-poo routine would help to stop the flaking. I always thought that seborrhea dermatitis was caused by overactive sebaceous glands & didn't flake off of the skin? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nonie

I didn't know much about Seborrhea until YuNg mentioned it. So I looked it up in my nutritional bible to see natural remedies from it. This is what it says:

[ QUOTE ]
Sebhorrea is a disorder of the sebaceous glands, the glands that secrete oil. Seborrhea occurs on the scalp, face, and chest most often but can appear on other parts of the body. It is characterized by greasy patches on the body that form scales and crusts. Seborrhic skin is prone to such conditions as alopecia, seborrhic dermatitis, and acne.

There are several types of sebhorrea:
<ul type="square"> Cap'itis - Located on the scalp
Congestive (See Lupus in Part two [of the book])
Corporis - Located on the trunk
Facier - Located on the face
Nigra or Nigricans - Dark-colored seborrhea
Oliosa - Seborrhea with an oily content
Rosacea - Middle-age seborrhea that reappears
Sicca - Dry form of seborrhea with scales *
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]
Source: Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F Balch, MD and Phyllis A Balch, MD

Maybe you, AFashionSlave, had the dry form - Sicca while from YuNg's description, I am inclined to think he has the oily kind...

I had suggested he try Emu Oil Shampoo since I'd heard it's good for seborrhic dermatitis but after revisiting the website I suggested he check out www.emusingsecrets.com (which BTW has Emu Oil products for hairloss also), I now realize that Emu Oil might be better for dry seborrhea. &lt;Sigh&gt;
(I must've spelled that darn word a thousand different ways.
)

I know he uses Nizarol shampoo but if it's meant for dry scalp dandruff (and I don't know), it can't be doing him any good. I don't know how long he's used Tea Tree Oil Shampoo but it's what comes to mind as being non-oily. I wonder if anyone else has the problem of excessively oily scalp...

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
I didn't know much about Seborrhea until YuNg mentioned it. So I looked it up in my nutritional bible to see natural remedies from it. This is what it says:

[ QUOTE ]
Sebhorrea is a disorder of the sebaceous glands, the glands that secrete oil. Seborrhea occurs on the scalp, face, and chest most often but can appear on other parts of the body. It is characterized by greasy patches on the body that form scales and crusts. Seborrhic skin is prone to such conditions as alopecia, seborrhic dermatitis, and acne.

There are several types of sebhorrea:
<ul type="square"> Cap'itis - Located on the scalp
Congestive (See Lupus in Part two [of the book])
Corporis - Located on the trunk
Facier - Located on the face
Nigra or Nigricans - Dark-colored seborrhea
Oliosa - Seborrhea with an oily content
Rosacea - Middle-age seborrhea that reappears
Sicca - Dry form of seborrhea with scales *
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]
Source: Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F Balch, MD and Phyllis A Balch, MD

Maybe you, AFashionSlave, had the dry form - Sicca while from YuNg's description, I am inclined to think he has the oily kind...

I had suggested he try Emu Oil Shampoo since I'd heard it's good for seborrhic dermatitis but after revisiting the website I suggested he check out www.emusingsecrets.com (which BTW has Emu Oil products for hairloss also), I now realize that Emu Oil might be better for dry seborrhea. &lt;Sigh&gt;
(I must've spelled that darn word a thousand different ways.
)

I know he uses Nizarol shampoo but if it's meant for dry scalp dandruff (and I don't know), it can't be doing him any good. I don't know how long he's used Tea Tree Oil Shampoo but it's what comes to mind as being non-oily. I wonder if anyone else has the problem of excessively oily scalp...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very interesting.

Off topic: I wonder what kind I had because during the time I suffered with the severe dermatitis I also had an awful bout with acne. My entire scalp would become covered with hard scales. The scales were very flaky, but oily when I rubbed them between my fingers.

I always felt like my scalp couldn't breathe - like I was wearing a winter hat all of the time.

At the time I used dandruff &amp; prescription shampoo my derm would recommend. Those medicated shampoos would aggravate my scalp and make it itchy and red and they did not stop the flaking. Sometimes I would scratch my scalp and my scalp would bleed.
Then one day my derm told me that doctors have no real cure for dermatitis. He also told me that the medical community thought that fungus was the culprit behind dermatitis but that they really could not be certain. When he told me that doctors didn't know how to stop the flaking - I stopped going to him and I started to experiment with less harsh products. First I would use creme of nature (extra moist) and comb out the flakes through my wet hair. I would also wash my hair more often &amp; occasionally oil my scalp when it started to feel tight. After a few weeks my flaking disappeared. After years of suffering my problem ended. I just thought that the conditioner washes would help him soften &amp; loosen those hard flakes so he could remove them from his scalp.

Back on topic: Hopefully YuNg's condition is triggered by hormones and will straighten itself out as he matures.

YuNg, I agree with nonie. Since that shampoo is not working for you why don't you try more natural alternatives. I think Tea Tree shampoos are a good idea. I have a natural remedies book at home. The remedies are pretty inexpensive. I will take a look at it when I get home. Hopefully there is something in there to help you.

Good Luck YuNg!

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
YuNg said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you feel my hair texture is better than yours? You need to be less concerned with texture, stop fighting against it and work with what you have, and your hair will continue to improve. My hair used to stick straight up too when it was much shorter, there isn't anything abnormal about that. In the past I wasted a lot of time hating my hair instead of embracing what God has given me and learning to care for it. Thank God, I'm no longer ignorant and more educated about hair care thanks to everyone at LHCF and Robin Woods. There is a lot of great information being circulated here, research and experiment and you will eventually find what works. Be positive, Good Luck.

Trell

I beg to differ with you....

I have the worst hair. My hair responds to NOTHING. I have a basket full of conditioners, oils, serums, you name it, I have it. None of them works. What I am left with is dry brittle hair. The only thing that makes my hair somewhat manageable is olive oil.

soulchild

Trell, maybe you need to focus more on what you put into your body (nutrients,food,vitamins)and drinking LOTS of water instead of what you apply directly to your hair.