Nape Area!!

JazzyDez

I have like an inch and a half in my nape area that is short and frizzy and won't grow past an inch. :mad: I have a literal diagonal line that seperates this area from the hair above which is probably 6 inches. If I wear my hair up it won't even blend in. It acts like its own entity. Anyone else have this problem?? Any suggestions?? I just want it to blend in and grow together with the rest of my hair. I'm hope this isnt resulting from how I have been tying my hair every night for years (silk/satin doobie wrapped around & tied up top) :confused: TIA

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
JazzyDez said:
I have like an inch and a half in my nape area that is short and frizzy and won't grow past an inch. :mad: I have a literal diagonal line that seperates this area from the hair above which is probably 6 inches. If I wear my hair up it won't even blend in. It acts like its own entity. Anyone else have this problem?? Any suggestions?? I just want it to blend in and grow together with the rest of my hair. I'm hope this isnt resulting from how I have been tying my hair every night for years (silk/satin doobie wrapped around & tied up top) :confused: TIA
I had that problem while I was relaxed. There are several threads where there is much advice given.

Some ladies would only relax this area, every other touch up. Others have transitioned that areas until it grew to a good length then relaxed. Other ways to care and get it growing with the rest is heavy moisturizing, conditioning and try not to pull on it too much. The way you have been tying you scarf may have a negative effect too.

I used to, and still do sometimes, braid it across and don't touch it. It works well if you are rollersetting, because you are hiding the braid.

My nape had flourished.

hth!

~op~

MiWay

I've been doing MTG massages and I try to keep that area very moisturized. My nape area has never been much longer than an inch, but it is growing. I make sure to relax that area last, and wash it right out, so it's more texturized than it is straight.

JazzyDez

Thanks ladies. :) I did put some MTG in an area and it filled in a bald spot there....but I didnt get much extra growth besides that. I think placing a cornrow accross is a great idea (since it would be covered anyway when I wear it down) Im going to start doing this.

crlsweetie912

also, watch out for your coats and jackets. especially in the winter cause the wool can tear your nape area. people suggest wearing a satin/silk scarf on the collar of your coat. HTH.

JazzyDez

crlsweetie912 said:
also, watch out for your coats and jackets. especially in the winter cause the wool can tear your nape area. people suggest wearing a satin/silk scarf on the collar of your coat. HTH.

Thanks sweetie! See I used to live in NY, but i live in Florida now and I haven't seen my coat for years! so this is no longer a problem!!! :lol:

KiniKakes

Yeah, for many years my nape (kitchen) area was short, coarse, and appeared broken off (don't know if it really was). Oddly enough, the majority of my hair (front, crown, sides) are 3c/4a, but my nape is straight up 4b. Its the kinkiest area on my head.

Through extra moisturizing, MTG, and not tying my scarf/knot at the nape so tightly anymore, it has grown considerably. I say keep nursing it back to health as you have been, and Im sure you'll see a difference in a few months.

Oh, and MSM also relaxed the curl pattern back there, so it doesnt seem to grow in as coarse either.

JazzyDez

crlsweetie912 said:
Also cotton!

Thanks. I am trying to be careful not to let my hair touch my clothing at all. Really, I only wear it down the first few days after my relaxer.

JazzyDez

KiniKakes said:
Yeah, for many years my nape (kitchen) area was short, coarse, and appeared broken off (don't know if it really was). Oddly enough, the majority of my hair (front, crown, sides) are 3c/4a, but my nape is straight up 4b. Its the kinkiest area on my head.

Through extra moisturizing, MTG, and not tying my scarf/knot at the nape so tightly anymore, it has grown considerably. I say keep nursing it back to health as you have been, and Im sure you'll see a difference in a few months.

Oh, and MSM also relaxed the curl pattern back there, so it doesnt seem to grow in as coarse either.

I acutally recently started taking MSM. I am doing 2 pills (1000ea) per day. I hope this makes a difference a difference in my texture i will be :D. And I am known to tie my scarf really tight because I want my hair laying flat in the morning. The nape is the only part of my hair that acts so differently. (Besides the very top middle section of my head which is pure 4b...the rest seems to be more 4a). I guess I will have to losen that scarf. I just dont want it falling off at night :ohwell:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
JazzyDez said:
...... I just dont want it falling off at night :ohwell:
The best way to remedy this is to tie your scarf, then add a stocking cap made of old pantyhose, then cover with a bonnet(I add the bonnet for extra protection) This is what works for me :yep:. I am notorious for losing my scarf at night.:look:

harden718

I have that same problem. I guess i've been having this problem for years.
I believe it's the relaxers because when i used to go to the Dominicans I always wore my hair down and when i started doing my hair myself I noticed my hair was all eaten up back there and before I started going to the salon it wasn't like that. Another thing is the left side of my hair was breaking to along with the nape. i think she wasn't washing my hair very good after relaxing.

JazzyDez

I am going to try to do everything I can to improve this area. Most of my hair problems started when I started relaxing and styling my hair myself or having friends do it which was in jr. high/high school. I was relaxed before then but at the salon. If only I knew then what I know now.

ladybug71

I have always ALWAYS had a problem with my nape area since childhood. When I was in jr. high/high school I had a wave nouveau and it really grew, but after I let that go and switched to relaxers, it still stays short and does not grow more than an inch. I really have to watch the cotton collars and stuff brushing up against it. I just really treat this area with kid gloves and ask my stylist to touch-up that area last. I also try and keep it moisturized on a daily basis.

JazzyDez

ladybug71 said:
I have always ALWAYS had a problem with my nape area since childhood. When I was in jr. high/high school I had a wave nouveau and it really grew, but after I let that go and switched to relaxers, it still stays short and does not grow more than an inch. I really have to watch the cotton collars and stuff brushing up against it. I just really treat this area with kid gloves and ask my stylist to touch-up that area last. I also try and keep it moisturized on a daily basis.

I agree with moisturizing and keeping cotton materials off of it like the others said. I also think that relaxing this part last may be a good idea except since this is the coarsest part of my hair, if it would be the least relaxed, wouldnt the manipulation/differrence in texture cause more breakage??

Gryphyn

JazzyDez

Kiwi said:
I have a similar problem, my nape is so fragile. I try to keep it in protective styles as much as possible, moisturize it, and protect the ends with oils. I also cut down on how often I shampoo. I've seen a bit of growth since I've been wearing twists all the time. I hope it continues :D

Here are 2 threads about problems with the nape area that I saved:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=83644

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=82145

HTH:)

Thanks Kiwi!!

Arcadian

JazzyDez said:
I agree with moisturizing and keeping cotton materials off of it like the others said. I also think that relaxing this part last may be a good idea except since this is the coarsest part of my hair, if it would be the least relaxed, wouldnt the manipulation/differrence in texture cause more breakage??

Not necessarily. Some ladies here don't relax their nape at all. I only do the last 10 minutes before rinse out so it stretches the curl out but dosen't make it totally straight. I never see breakage in this area anymore, so that was my culprit.

I hate not tying up my hair down at night but I'm also learning that tying it up isn't always the best either. So the nights I tie my hair down I use a little moisterizer around the edges and nape so I dont get any tangles.

I don't really have anything to add except hang in there! Its amazing that once you think you know exactly what your hair does it throws a curveball. I try to enjoy the journey and the learning experience (it sure is that!:lol: )

-A