Naomi Davis on Natural Hair in the Workplace

Soliel185

This is part of a series this blog is doing. I thought it was interesting since this is a topic that comes up a lot.

Naomi Davis: former attorney, founder of the Blacks in Green (B.I.G.) environmental group, a Chicago-based organization dedicated to bring environmental awareness and green jobs into impoverished, urban black communities.
Part 1 of Naomi Davis' interview is here.

BGLH: When did you go natural and why?
Naomi: 1999 for the second time. The first time I wore a fro for 10 years that included college.

BGLH: When you made the decision to go natural, were you worried about the implications for your work?
Naomi: No.

BGLH: Do you think the professional world is ready to accept natural hair?
Naomi: Yes, unequivocally if the rest of you looks the part.

BGLH: Describe the reactions your natural hair receives in a professional setting. Is it viewed as acceptable?
Naomi: No one ever questions or insinuates against my hair. I have only ever received positive feedback. Oh, except one time a dear friend - an older white male and Texan (Texas! no less...where I thought big hair ruled!) - told me he thought my hair was too big.

For more pics and the rest of Naomi's interview click here

Last edited:

msa

That's one of my favorite blogs. The interview is great and her hair is beautiful.

Soliel185

That's one of my favorite blogs. The interview is great and her hair is beautiful.

I noticed that you linked it in your siggy. :yep:

I like that she doesn't take a 'holier than thou' attitude and makes a point to admit when she realized she held a prejudice against something, or was ignorant about something. I feel like she's sharing her journey as she progresses and the topics are always relevant.

growth2come

This is part of a series this blog is doing. I thought it was interesting since this is a topic that comes up a lot.

Naomi Davis: former attorney, founder of the Blacks in Green (B.I.G.) environmental group, a Chicago-based organization dedicated to bring environmental awareness and green jobs into impoverished, urban black communities.
Part 1 of Naomi Davis' interview is here.

BGLH: When did you go natural and why?
Naomi: 1999 for the second time. The first time I wore a fro for 10 years that included college.

BGLH: When you made the decision to go natural, were you worried about the implications for your work?
Naomi: No.

BGLH: Do you think the professional world is ready to accept natural hair?
Naomi: Yes, unequivocally if the rest of you looks the part.

BGLH: Describe the reactions your natural hair receives in a professional setting. Is it viewed as acceptable?
Naomi: No one ever questions or insinuates against my hair. I have only ever received positive feedback. Oh, except one time a dear friend - an older white male and Texan (Texas! no less...where I thought big hair ruled!) - told me he thought my hair was too big.

For more pics and the rest of Naomi's interview click here

:grin: Considering the hair spray that goes in some of the hair donts over there....the nerve that guy....:rolleyes:

msa

I noticed that you linked it in your siggy. :yep:

I like that she doesn't take a 'holier than thou' attitude and makes a point to admit when she realized she held a prejudice against something, or was ignorant about something. I feel like she's sharing her journey as she progresses and the topics are always relevant.

Yup I love her writing style. It's the type of blog I would have if I was more democratic and less radical in my thinking LOL. BGLH and The Natural Haven are my two very favorites...and Beauty Brains is my next favorite. I love the scientific approach to hair care...the anecdotal approach leaves much to be desired:look:.