My sister asked me to press my niece's hair

moda

How old were you when you first got your hair pressed?

My sister asked me to press my niece's hair, but I really don't want to do it, but if she just has to have it done, I would prefer to do it, than for her to allow someone else to. She just turned 4, and I was thinking she is way too young to be getting her hair pressed. What do you all think? She wants her hair pressed so she can have a spiral ponytail, I proposed that I just throw her hair in a ponytail and roll up her hair. I do not remember getting my hair pressed when I was that young. Why oh why can't she just let her where her hair in a ponytail and twist or plait it and throw a barrett on the end. :confused:

Last edited:

c_octavia

Re: How old were you when you first got your hair pressed?

Yea, my brother and his gf recently put a texturizer in my 4 year old nieces hair!. She has beautiful type 3c hair. Its about to her waist, and I guess they didnt like dealing with it when they washed it. ...Her hair was so pretty, now its just a fuzzy mess, they still wont comb. :mad:

lonesomedove

cincybrownsugar said:
My sister asked me to press my niece's hair, but I really don't want to do it, but if she just has to have it done, I would prefer to do it, than for her to allow someone else to. She just turned 4, and I was thinking she is way too young to be getting her hair pressed. What do you all think? She wants her hair pressed so she can have a spiral ponytail, I proposed that I just throw her hair in a ponytail and roll up her hair. I do not remember getting my hair pressed when I was that young. Why oh why can't she just let her where her hair in a ponytail and twist or plait it and throw a barrett on the end. :confused:

I was also wondering when to start pressing hair. My daughter will be 5 next month and for special occasions wants to wear her hair down, but I can't because it will look matted. She has beautiful hair, curly I think 3C, but I don't know how to keep the curls after it dries. Right now she wears ponytails and braids.

Nay

I can't imagine what it would have been like getting my hair pressed that young!! The first time my mom ever pressed my hair, I was about 10 years old.

There are so many cute wavy styles that can be worn without heat (twistouts, braidouts, bantu knots). Couldn't she just go the old-fashioned route and "set" her hair with some water and "grease" like back in the day, and then style the waves once her hair dries after being twisted or braided?

bludacious

4 may be young but if you just have to do something, I would choosing pressing faster than I would adding chemicals.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
My mom used to do my hair in I guess what you guys call comb curls. She would put it in a pony tail or two pig tails and take 1/4-1/2 inch sections and comb it around her finger. They would look sort of like the shirley temple curls but they wouldnt just fall out like they would if they had been done with a hot curler. Me looked so cute:). If my scanner worked I would scan a pic. Maybe I can take a pic of the pic with my digital...humm... The only one I have is a lil wallet sized one...If I can find it this week I might post it.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts

it depends on her hair if she still has soft "baby" hair i wouldnt do it but
if the texture has changed over time and seems a bit more coarse than it started i would, we have been pressing my daughters hair since about 3 but only 2x per yr her hair was thick and had changed from her type 1/2 into a 4a/3c so i felt comfortable doing it.

--you have experience pressing right?

--there is a pic in my daughters album i'm not sure if it is clear enough but we slicked her hair into a ponytail and curled it with the curling iron for my sisters wedding it came out nicely maybe thats an option

hairmaster

Remember that a kiddy perm is a mild relaxer for adults, that can cause damage to a 4 year old. I would also like to see you keep a 4year old still long-enough to do a press on and not burn one of you....

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Well I was about 8 or so when I gotten my hair pressed. As long as you don't press her hair that often, I think it will be okay. Plus please be mindful of her scalp, ears, and any other bare skin.