How is a salon to press a clients hair

dany06

My only experience with getting my hair pressed is by my mother's hair stylist. She washed and conditioned my hair. She then sat me under a hooded drier until my hair dried with no leave-in and no proir detangling. She then sat me in a chair and proceed to put in pressing cream and pulled a pressing comb through my tangled hair. I see so many people talk about the stylist using a blow drier not only to dry but to take out all of the kinks. I was in a whole lot of pain but I wanted to see my hair straight. After a few ouches the stylist started to tell me about her childhood hair experiences. She told me that she decided to eventually get relaxers because it hurt her head so badly when her grandmother pressed her hair. She even said that was the way she was doing it to mine was the same way her grandmother did her hair. I thought she was suppose to do it like she learned in cosmetology school.
I just wanted to know if that is the routine way to get your hair pressed. The result of this left my hair with breakage and knotted ends. I have since cut off that hair and am now starting over. I just want to know for future references if I ever choose to get my hair pressed again.

Mortons

Never let someone press your hair like that again :nono:

Most salons now flat iron. I know my stylist washes, conditions, detangles and blow dries before flat ironing. She gets the hair pretty straight while blowdrying so that she will not have to do much pulling or use high heat to flat iron.

dany06

Im glad to hear that's not the way to press. I was complaining about it to some of my family and friends and they made me feel as if I was overreacting.

lovelymissyoli

I've never heard of pressing hair that way before, but when I used to get my hair pressed in the shop it would be shampooed, conditioned, shampooed again, blowdried, then pressed with a professional stove comb, and lastly followed by a marcel iron and heat protectant lol. :grin:...:look: ... That was A LOT of HEAT!!

In the end though my hair was always swinging and relaxer straight even though I never had one!!! But those days are long gone. I haven't had a professional press since 2005.