My retention is driving me crazy

take a cheapie conditioner, wheat germ oil, honey, and another oil of your choice. your hair will be like butter:grin:

My Friend

I'm a certified tangler and as of late, my hair has done so much better since --
1) getting my hair trimmed. Ends no longer tangle up. ETA: I don't use direct heat much but ends do wear out regardless.
2) lightly comb hair daily to release sheds gradually vs. waiting until wash day to detangle.
3) pre-pooing with evco.
4) using detangling product and making sure hair is nicely detangled before washing.
5) positioning & keeping hair it in one direction on wash day from start - finish. ETA: washing in sections didn't work for me.
6) only use sulfate shampoo when clarifying; sulfate free all other times.
7) use tea rinsing and oil rinsing to ease manageability of hair.

Last edited:
@OliveOil

Comb? Like with a real comb or like using the water from the shower as a comb, kinda :look: Like lean your head back let the water run through it and put it in a bun kinda combing?

@My Friend - I use a wide-tooth comb, babes.

Like you, I also have fine-hair, and because curly hair is more prone to tangles it doesn't help that our hair is already fragile. Even when I keep my hair in a bun, the back of my hair, and the middle part gets really tangled up UNLESS I already combed it the night before. There are some people who can go days without combing their hair and everything is fine. Then there are those like us who need a comb often.

I comb softly & if my comb gets stuck.. I use my hand to separate the strands. When my hair was shorter, I could get away with combing less, but the longer my hair gets.. the more tangles I get unless I keep my strands separate but daily combing.

ETA: It would help if you described your hair to us a bit more e.g. The length, the texture ( for example, my hair is cottony).. etc.

Last edited:
Here's my plan y'all

Prepoo/Hot oil with castor oil
detangle and braid
Clarify Use Clay:yep:
cowash
ACV Rinse
seal with shea butter

does that sound good?

Sounds great, but I would add an acv rinse after the co wash. My hair use to tangle easily because it is fine, then I started using clay washes, tea rinses and ACV rinses.

Are you going to moisturize with your S-curl or HSR before sealing with shea?

Oh, I ended up in the TWA thread from not trimming my ends for six months. Fine hairs is whatever, but since you are co washing everyday, you are probably fine.

Betionite clay is the most detangling, ACV come second, and tea rinses third.

My Friend said:
MystiqueBabe Pokahontas

0live0il DarkJoy

Why do I need to trim? I only use heat twice a year on heat protected hair. I thought trimming and dusting was for people who used heat or chemicals.

I'm not saying this won't help but I want to understand why.

Heat use or not those ends are old and worn. They go through normal wear and tear. The longer the hair the older those ends. I feel it's good to trim and freshen them up regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@My Friend A DeepPrePoo or PreDeepPoo is when you deep condition your dry hair before you actually shampoo. Pre Deep Condition on dry hair for an extended period of time like 5 to 24 hours before you shampoo. This makes my hair so soft and detangled that after I shampoo I don't even have to condition afterward. I seal my cuticles with an oil before twisting or bantu knotting, then airdry.

cocomama you dont have to use leave in conditoner?

divachyk

Which product do you use?

@My Friend

I'm a certified tangler and as of late, my hair has done so much better since --
1) getting my hair trimmed. Ends no longer tangle up. ETA: I don't use direct heat much but ends do wear out regardless.
2) lightly comb hair daily to release sheds gradually vs. waiting until wash day to detangle.
3) pre-pooing with evco.
4) using detangling product and making sure hair is nicely detangled before washing.
5) positioning & keeping hair it in one direction on wash day from start - finish. ETA: washing in sections didn't work for me.
6) only use sulfate shampoo when clarifying; sulfate free all other times.
7) use tea rinsing and oil rinsing to ease manageability of hair.

@MyFriend I've found that AOHSR is no where near slippery enough for me to detangle with (although I do love it). I haven't found a natural conditioner with amazing slippage, but Everyday Shea Moisturizing Conditioner is natural and does the job for me. I found it at Sprouts and I think they sell it at Whole Foods too. A lot of people also like Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle, but I haven't used it.

I use coconut oil and run my hands through my hair the night before I cowash.

Do you keep your hair stretched or stick to wash and goes? Maybe try Naptural85s wash and go technique. It keeps the hair stretched so there will be less tangles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUiD7anUEY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
@My Friend - I use a wide-tooth comb, babes.

Like you, I also have fine-hair, and because curly hair is more prone to tangles it doesn't help that our hair is already fragile. Even when I keep my hair in a bun, the back of my hair, and the middle part gets really tangled up UNLESS I already combed it the night before. There are some people who can go days without combing their hair and everything is fine. Then there are those like us who need a comb often.

I comb softly & if my comb gets stuck.. I use my hand to separate the strands. When my hair was shorter, I could get away with combing less, but the longer my hair gets.. the more tangles I get unless I keep my strands separate but daily combing.

ETA: It would help if you described your hair to us a bit more e.g. The length, the texture ( for example, my hair is cottony).. etc.

OliveOil

Ok. I'm kissing apl. I think I'm a 4a?? My braider says my hair is baby soft is that cottony? I use henna. My curl looks like a coil.

Sounds great, but I would add an acv rinse after the co wash. My hair use to tangle easily because it is fine, then I started using clay washes, tea rinses and ACV rinses.

Are you going to moisturize with your S-curl or HSR before sealing with shea?

Oh, I ended up in the TWA thread from not trimming my ends for six months. Fine hairs is whatever, but since you are co washing everyday, you are probably fine.

Betionite clay is the most detangling, ACV come second, and tea rinses third.

Seamonster

What kind of clay? Did you buy it online?

@MyFriend I've found that AOHSR is no where near slippery enough for me to detangle with (although I do love it). I haven't found a natural conditioner with amazing slippage, but Everyday Shea Moisturizing Conditioner is natural and does the job for me. I found it at Sprouts and I think they sell it at Whole Foods too. A lot of people also like Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle, but I haven't used it.

DaiseeDay

You got this from the BSS?

My Friend No, not if you used a mild sulfate free shampoo. I use the Authentic African Black Soap Shampoo from Wholefoods. It's like $9.99 for a huge bottle. I seal with a mowrah butter or grapeseed oil, but no leave in conditioner. This has save my hair from tangles.

That was my recipe for a DeepPrePoo... but you can make up your own.

My Friend --

BSS
mane n tail detangler
silken child LI/detangler

Handmade
oyin juices & berries LI/detangler
afroveda moringa LI/detangler

I use all of these for detangling --- (eta: 1 use 1 BSS brand pre-wash and 1 handmade brand post wash -- just depends on which I grab or is closest to me at that moment in time).

I use the BSS brands pre-wash because they contain -cones but they also have great slip. I use a lot of product pre-wash to ensure my hair is fully detangled, thus using BSS products is a cheaper alternative than handmades. I try to avoid -cones but I prefer to use them pre-wash if I use them. And as mentioned, the level of slip it provides is useful at this step.

I use the handmades post wash because they do not have -cones. They also don't have as much slip as the BSS brands (they do have good slip in general though) but if I've done everything right up to this point, I don't need as much slip. I try to stay away from -cones post wash.

Oyin has more slip than AfroVeda. However, AfroVeda softens the hair better than Oyin.

HTH

Last edited:
OliveOil

Ok. I'm kissing apl. I think I'm a 4a?? My braider says my hair is baby soft is that cottony? I use henna. My curl looks like a coil.

You definitely need to be trimming at least 2x's a year...curly girls need regular trims. Doesn't need to be a huge chop...just a light dusting. I do a SplitEnder trim 3x's a year, and that's more than enough. Trims also allow moisture to penetrate curly hair better, which means better growth and retention.

Back