My random thought: IT'S MY RELAXER

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I have been on a healthy hair journey for a couple of years and i have been apart of this board and other hair boards for the same amount of time.

I have been using the same practices the entire time. I found a good regimen and stuck with it. But now my hair is dryer than ever and it has been thinning. I started looking at all my old pictures and it seems that my hair has even changed colors a little. Then it hit me. The only thing i switched was my relaxer. I went from Design Regular(lye) to Design Time Release (no lye). My hair cannot handle a no lye relaxer. Too bad it took a year for me to figure it out.:ohwell: Oh well back to lye relaxers for me. When i had a lye, my hair was thicker and a lot less frizzy. This is just my random thought and maybe it can help someone in my dilemma.:yep:

I'm glad that you have figured out the problem! Yes, a lot of ladies find that their hair seems to prefer one or the other. I recently switched to lye within the past year or so and I must say that my hair is a lot thicker. It's a keeper for me!

I agree.....
I tried DE Time Release ONE time, and I wondered why I did NOT like it!! :nono: My hair looked DULL, and my hair just didn't feel right. :( I had no idea that it was a no lye relaxer! :shocked: This explains a LOT! I have learned over the years that my hair just does NOT like NO-lye! :nono: In fact, I was using ORS Olive Oil Reg. (No-lye) for two touchups, and I'm sick of it.

I'm getting my hair touched up today and I'm going back to my tried and true DE Regular (Lye) relaxer.

DE regular has usually always done me right in the past. I don't know why I ever switched! Anyway, I have learned my lesson. Thanks for posting this. :up:

I have been on a healthy hair journey for a couple of years and i have been apart of this board and other hair boards for the same amount of time.

I have been using the same practices the entire time. I found a good regimen and stuck with it. But now my hair is dryer than ever and it has been thinning. I started looking at all my old pictures and it seems that my hair has even changed colors a little. Then it hit me. The only thing i switched was my relaxer. I went from Design Regular(lye) to Design Time Release (no lye). My hair cannot handle a no lye relaxer. Too bad it took a year for me to figure it out.:ohwell: Oh well back to lye relaxers for me. When i had a lye, my hair was thicker and a lot less frizzy. This is just my random thought and maybe it can help someone in my dilemma.:yep:

The same thing happened with me...I stopped using No-Lye July of last year and have not turned back...my hair has done a 360...I don't know I stopped using it in the first place......

Since I became a DIY and Started Researching Relaxers (literally for hours), I made the decision to Relax using Lye. I honestly don't know what I was getting at the Salon.:ohwell:

I know she used DE but I cannot tell you whether it was Lye or No-Lye and Stupid Me :wallbash:

Never Even Bothered to ask.:look:

However, after careful consideration and reading up on the various components of Relaxers, Lye seemed like a better option for me.

I was using Linange Lye Shea Butter. This time, I was blessed with a 4lb Tub of MBB, so I will be self-relaxing with Mizani Butter Blends Lye (Relaxer):yep:

Why is lye better? I've always used no-lye, but if lye is better i'll give it a shot. Do I have to wait before changing up... could this be dangerous.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They Say: Lye is Harder on the "Scalp" Easier on the Hair and No-Lye is Easier on the Hair, Harder on The Scalp.:look:

Also, No-Lye can cause a Calcium Buildup or Deposits on Your Hair which makes Chelating Shampoo necessary. No Lye is Dulling, Drying and Can Be Thinning.:look:

It is also recommended if you switch from No-Lye to Lye to process your entire head all the way to the ends with Lye.

If you are interested, in possibly making "the switch" there are plenty of Threads: Lye vs No Lye, is one that comes to mind, etc... that is on this Board. It would be worth your while to conduct your own personal research.

I also read Shamboosie's book and he gives his detailed opinion about why Lye is Actually Better for the Hair than No-Lye.

However, we have just As Many "Experts" on this Board to Guide you through the Process and I Totally Respect their Opinions.:yep:

It comes down to a personal choice.

If you want softer, silkier hair, then lye is definitely the way to go. At least for me it is. :) Your hair will thank you once you switch back.

I got my hair done on Saturday. I am very happy with the results. My stylist did pull the relaxer to the ends right before it was time to wash it out. My hair is looking good and it is not frizzy like it was before.

I just got my relaxer touch-up last night! YAY!!!! :D

FINALLY!!!! I switched back to my tried and true Design Essentials Regular Strength LYE relaxer last night , and I haven't looked back since. :lachen:

Goodbye ORS Olive Oil No-lye relaxer! It had it's pros and cons, but I have finally confirmed that NO-lye is NOT for me! :nono:

Whooo! My hair feels so good! That's how I know it was the relaxer. My hair is now swinging and a blinging...bouncing and behaving! :yep: :woot: :woot: :clap:

I can't believe how thick and silky my hair feels again! I think my hair got some "thickness" due to using the no-lye relaxer for a while...so I won't be able to see my true "Thickness" until a few more touch-ups with the DE regular, but STILL! My hair FEELS and LOOKS soo good. I don't even know why I ever went to NO-lye again. :nono: In the past I had learned that it didn't work for my hair, why oh WHY did I ever try it again?? :wallbash:

OH well...it's LYE for me from now on...and preferably Design ESsentials reg. lye. I even made sure my stylist didn't make my hair bone straight. I made sure she worked the relaxer through fast, and didn't leave it on too long...but long enough to make it straight enough. WOW! I just can't stop looking at myself in the mirror! :giggle: I forgot my hair could look so good! I can't wait for my first "wash day" so I can see how my hair REALLY behaves. Right now it's still "fresh" from the chemical relaxer treatment, so it's still a little fragile. But still....it feels great!

I'm so happy!! :D :D

Back