Is Roux Porosity Control meant for regular use?

sharifeh

Hey

I was wondering if the roux porosity control meant for use with every wash. I just received mine yesterday because my hair is never soft anymore and I'm half convinced it's a porosity problem. No conditioner gives me enough slip anymore either and my hair is never moisturized.
So I washed yesterday and used roux porosity control conditioner after a partial detangling session. yes it made my hair soft a bit, but my hair is dry now and not really drinking up moisture the way I feel like it should yet. should i continue using it??? Like every wash?
I also need to try to DC more often. :ohwell:

exoticmommie

I think you are supposed to use it until your hair is back to normal. And then use as needed from there.

Hopefully someone who has more info will answer you soon.

LaidBak

I had super dry, porous hair. I have used PC with every wash for about 3 1/2 months. IMHO you need to keep using it but also you do need to DC more often. I DC with heat then I give myself a quick, 2 minute PC treatment to seal in the moisture. I was mixing PC with a bit of Kenra MC, but that's back when I was really dry. I now use it by itself with good results.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I had super dry, porous hair. I have used PC with every wash for about 3 1/2 months. IMHO you need to keep using it but also you do need to DC more often. I DC with heat then I give myself a quick, 2 minute PC treatment to seal in the moisture. I was mixing PC with a bit of Kenra MC, but that's back when I was really dry. I now use it by itself with good results.

IA 110%: I would clarify first to remove any possible buildup that might be blocking moisture and then Deep Condition w/heat on a regular basis and then incorporate the PC as a follow up. I too, have very dry, porous hair. I mean upon site women who knew hair said would look at My Hair and say: "Your hair is extremely Porous":sad: . So I have done, and would do, just what the previous poster recommended and use it consistently until your hair turns around.

Dposh167

It can be a porosity problem, but it could also be a protein prob. I see u are relaxed. When was the last time u used any type of protein since ur last touchup? I ask b.c. U said ur hair doesnt seem to be drinking up any moisture u give it. if its not a porosity problem, then it could mean your hair doesnt have a sufficient amount of protein. It aids in holding moisture within the strands. so i would look into that as well as ur porosity

jeabai

I thank God for you ladies everyday! This might be my problem as well...Thanks OP for this post!

sharifeh

It can be a porosity problem, but it could also be a protein prob. I see u are relaxed. When was the last time u used any type of protein since ur last touchup? I ask b.c. U said ur hair doesnt seem to be drinking up any moisture u give it. if its not a porosity problem, then it could mean your hair doesnt have a sufficient amount of protein. It aids in holding moisture within the strands. so i would look into that as well as ur porosity

I had my last perm 7 weeks ago, I did a the aphogee 2 step 5 weeks ago and that was it.
I realize that it could also be protein, because I lose a lot of hair combing so I just ordered aphogee 2 min reconstructor yesterday and I'm going to try try using that weekly???

thanks for the tip guys, I'll also start using porosity control after every dc...hopefully that will work out, because I think I have decent products
i use nexxus therappe shampoo and humectress dc
i use nourish spa and tea tree tingle from trader joes for co washes
and i use ntm silk touch leave in and cd's healthy hair butter for moisture
i also oil rinse with coconut oil, i seal my ends with ojon oil
i just tried out evoo but it was a disaster....:ohwell:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I had my last perm 7 weeks ago, I did a the aphogee 2 step 5 weeks ago and that was it.
I realize that it could also be protein, because I lose a lot of hair combing so I just ordered aphogee 2 min reconstructor yesterday and I'm going to try try using that weekly???

thanks for the tip guys, I'll also start using porosity control after every dc...hopefully that will work out, because I think I have decent products
i use nexxus therappe shampoo and humectress dc
i use nourish spa and tea tree tingle from trader joes for co washes
and i use ntm silk touch leave in and cd's healthy hair butter for moisture
i also oil rinse with coconut oil, i seal my ends with ojon oil
i just tried out evoo but it was a disaster....:ohwell:

Please make sure you UP Your Moisture when using Protein laden Products. I think you should Deep Condition with something a little "heavier" than the Humectress and perhaps incorporate Heat (if you are not doing that already). I have Humectress too, but I wouldn't think of it so much as a DC.

I haven't used Tader Joes, but I will say, probably in that 'specific' price range there are alot of Good Moisturizing Conditioners that you can DC with. For example: AO Honeysuckle Rose, I like the AO White Camelia and I also like the one with the Aloe and Jojoba. Jasons also has a nice Biotin Conditioner. HTH

newflowers

I use PC at least once a week - with great benefits to my hair. Sometimes, I use it each time I wash and condition. TJ's Nourish Spa is a great co-wash product - I've not used the tea tree once. If you're still having troube, I suggest starting with a clean slate - clarify or chelate, deep condition with a conditioner specifically for the purpose, and then use PC. Protein is a good thing, especially when you relax, but make sure you don't use too much; I always use a moisturizing conditioner when I protein.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I use PC at least once a week - with great benefits to my hair. Sometimes, I use it each time I wash and condition. TJ's Nourish Spa is a great co-wash product - I've not used the tea tree once. If you're still having troube, I suggest starting with a clean slate - clarify or chelate, deep condition with a conditioner specifically for the purpose, and then use PC. Protein is a good thing, especially when you relax, but make sure you don't use too much; I always use a moisturizing conditioner when I protein.

Your Knowledge on the Subject of Porosity, took my Dry, Damaged, Overprocessed, Overlapped, Porous Hair to a whole New Level. Thanks Newflowers.

anniev2

do you rinse out the porosity control before Deep Conditioning? Asking b/c I have PC in my hair right now and I just finished sitting under the dryer for 30 mins and need to know how to use my ORS replinishing pak...could i have just mixed the two and did it at the same time?

do you rinse out the porosity control before Deep Conditioning? Asking b/c I have PC in my hair right now and I just finished sitting under the dryer for 30 mins and need to know how to use my ORS replinishing pak...could i have just mixed the two and did it at the same time?

Yeah you could have mixed them together.I do it all the time and I love it.I never use it alone.I always mix my PC with ORS replenishing pak.

anniev2

Yeah you could have mixed them together.I do it all the time and I love it.I never use it alone.I always mix my PC with ORS replenishing pak.

but now that i've already gone about and did ti the wrong way...is DC worth it or will it revers the progress i've made with PC?

but now that i've already gone about and did ti the wrong way...is DC worth it or will it revers the progress i've made with PC?

It won't revert the process.You can go ahead and DC. The way you did it wasn't wrong. I just always mix the two together to prevent me from jumping in and out the shower.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Since PC seals the cuticle shut, be sure to rinse it out to keep the hair shaft as open as possible. This way the ORS conditioner will be able to penetrate. After you rinse out ORS, condition with PC again for a few minutes to shut the cuticle and keep moisture in

When you use PC, mix it with another conditioner or use it as a final rinse.

HTH! :)

LaidBak

I would say no to doing them together. PC is not something that you need to have in your hair for a long time. And from what I've read and learned heat defeats the purpose of PC.
From what I've read DCing with heat lifts or opens the cuticles. PC's job is to close them again after that. And help them stay closed for those of us with porosity issues. (Ladies correct me if I am wrong)
So DC with your ORS and heat, rinse, then PC for a few minutes. You can mix the PC with a moisture condish, but you still only need to leave it in for a few minutes.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I would say no to doing them together. PC is not something that you need to have in your hair for a long time. And from what I've read and learned heat defeats the purpose of PC.
From what I've read DCing with heat lifts or opens the cuticles. PC's job is to close them again after that. And help them stay closed for those of us with porosity issues. (Ladies correct me if I am wrong)
So DC with your ORS and heat, rinse, then PC for a few minutes. You can mix the PC with a moisture condish, but you still only need to leave it in for a few minutes.
Thanks LaidBak..........That is How We Do IT:yay::yay::yay:

sharifeh

Please make sure you UP Your Moisture when using Protein laden Products. I think you should Deep Condition with something a little "heavier" than the Humectress and perhaps incorporate Heat (if you are not doing that already). I have Humectress too, but I wouldn't think of it so much as a DC.

I haven't used Tader Joes, but I will say, probably in that 'specific' price range there are alot of Good Moisturizing Conditioners that you can DC with. For example: AO Honeysuckle Rose, I like the AO White Camelia and I also like the one with the Aloe and Jojoba. Jasons also has a nice Biotin Conditioner. HTH

Ok, Thanks
I'll try to get a better dc for when i finish humectress
i hear people talk alot about silicon mix, elasta, joico????
are those all pricey??

i don't incorporate heat because i dont have a dryer, i only have a blow dryer not very effective so i dc overnight and get good results

Bosslady1

If you clarify regularly, then you would not need this product unless your hair gets residue and build up often. I would recommend this product for somehow who swims alot or dyes their hair.

LaidBak

If you clarify regularly, then you would not need this product unless your hair gets residue and build up often. I would recommend this product for somehow who swims alot or dyes their hair.

Porosity control has nothing to do with clarifying, or chlorine buildup. I think you are thinking of chelating products. PC is something else entirely.

Bosslady1

Porosity control is for people who hair are super dry and craves moisture. normally people who swim or dye their hair.

Porosity control helps your hair draw in moisture.

If you clarify often, then your hair should not cause build up which could lead to moisture block.

That was my point. Clarifying and Porosity control go hand in hand.

LaidBak

Porosity control is for people who hair are super dry and craves moisture. normally people who swim or dye their hair.

Porosity control helps your hair draw in moisture. No, humectants help your hair draw in moisture. PC is not a humectant.

If you clarify often, then your hair should not cause build up which could lead to moisture block. Yes, clarifying often will remove buildup on hair. But PC does not clarify. Nor does it cause buildup. PC is for correcting the pH of hair and closing the cuticle.

That was my point. Clarifying and Porosity control go hand in hand. No, not really

You are just a little confused about the purpose of PC. I don't want the OP to be thrown off by your advice (no offense). I've included some info from a website to clear things up.
Roux Porosity Control Conditioner 101

There seems to be a lot of confusion about Roux Porosity Control Conditioner and how its used on the hair. Many ladies are having a hard time incorporating this product into their regimen simply because they do not know how to use it, what is it primarily for, and when to use it. I will address all of these questions for you.

Who: Those with chemically treated hair (color, perm, bleach, relaxer).

What: Equalizes the hair's porosity. Moisturizes, detangles, and lusterizes. Leaves hair vibrant looking and manageable.

Where: Apply to the roots and ends.

When:
1. If the hair overly dry and suffering from brittleness regardless of how much moisture is put into the hair.
2. Right before a chemical service so that the hair can readily and evenly accept the chemical service.

Why: Porosity Control Conditioner is great! Hair in its healthiest state is at a pH level of 4.5-5.5 which is acidic, therefore holding a positive charge. [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Damaged [COLOR=blue ! important]hair[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] tends to be more alkaline (about 7 on the pH scale) as a result from coloring, perms, bleaches, relaxers, thermal tools, therefore holding a negative charge. Hair in this state tends to look more dull, dry, cuticles are raised, tangles occur, and the cortex is exposed causing more damage. The proper pH level can be obtained by using Porosity Control Conditioner to acidify the hair since its a low pH product. This acidic conditioner helps to compact the hair cuticles having them lay flat and constricted. When the cuticles are closed and laying flat, light is able to reflect off of your hair (giving it shine) rather than absorb it (dry/dull looking). The hair will then become positively charged allowing you to manage your hair better and have it feel & look healthier than before.

More info available here: http://hairlicious.blogspot.com/2008/09/porosity-control-conditioner-101.html

sharifeh

I bought AO Honeysucklr rose
its expensive
smells interesting jumping in the shower to try it as a dc now!!!!!!!