My Nourish & Shine has turned gritty

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
A couple weeks ago I ordered Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine. After receiving it in the mail, I screwed off the lid and some of it spilled out! It had melted during shipping due to all of this extreme heat. Well, I sat it in my closet, and luckily it hardened overnight. After it hardened, it was smooth; it looked fine. As the days went by, it started turning gritty. I've heard that when Shea Butter (N&S is shea butter based) is melted and cooled the wrong way, that it will turn gritty. This is the 2nd time that this has happened to me with a shea butter based product. The first time was with my Shealoe and it melted during the heat and turned gritty. The grittiness in the products doesn't change how I feel about the overall performance, but it can surely get annoying how I have to press and rub my palms extra hard to make sure that all of the little gritties are smoothed out before I rub it into my hair. The Nourish & Shine is awesome, but I now realize that I need to only order this product during the fall/winter months.

Has grittiness ever happened to anyone?

libralegend

TSUprincess04 said:
A couple weeks ago I ordered Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine. After receiving it in the mail, I screwed off the lid and some of it spilled out! It had melted during shipping due to all of this extreme heat. Well, I sat it in my closet, and luckily it hardened overnight. After it hardened, it was smooth; it looked fine. As the days went by, it started turning gritty. I've heard that when Shea Butter (N&S is shea butter based) is melted and cooled the wrong way, that it will turn gritty. This is the 2nd time that this has happened to me with a shea butter based product. The first time was with my Shealoe and it melted during the heat and turned gritty. The grittiness in the products doesn't change how I feel about the overall performance, but it can surely get annoying how I have to press and rub my palms extra hard to make sure that all of the little gritties are smoothed out before I rub it into my hair. The Nourish & Shine is awesome, but I now realize that I need to only order this product during the fall/winter months.

Has grittiness ever happened to anyone?

OMG! Sorry this happened to you. I've used nourish&shine for 3yrs now and i've never had that happen to be. i get both in the store and online sometimes. all i think of is maybe something got into it during packaging.
-libra

so1913

That happens a lot when butter products melt and recool as you mentioned. It should not effect the effectiveness of the product though. It's just annoying, lol.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I should be fine. A good way to tell is shea is bad is simply smell. It will smell rotten. Just keep emulsifying it in your hands as you have been doing so you don't have a 'gritty head'.