my hair needs something but i don't know what!!

celiabug

when wet, my hair feels like a matted synthetic wig. it feels like streaky if that makes since, like it would squeak when i rub my fingers down it. i feel like its breaking off but i cant seem to find very many broken hairs. it gets tangled soooo bad and im shedding like CRAZY! can anyone give me some advice?:ohwell:

chrstndiva

It could be that your hair is very porous and your ph balance is off. Is your hair dry no matter how much you moisturize it?

If so, you can do an ACV rinse. I use a 9:1 ratio solution of water to ACV. (1/3 cup of ACV and 3 cups of distilled water)

EnExitStageLeft

It could be a porosity issue. I would suggest doing a strand test to assess your hair's porosity level(you may already know what this is, but just in case: A strand test is a process of taking a clean shed hair and placing it in a cup full of water. If it floats and never sinks it means you have low porosity, which could mean that it is hard for your hair to except moisture. If it immediately sinks it means that you have high porosity, which means your hair can accept moisture, but it has a hard time retaining it. If it floats then slowy sinks this means that you hair is of normal porosity, which mean its easy to maintain and retain good moisture levels). When finding out your hair's porosity level, I would also suggest you clarify/chelate and then prioritize the rest of your regimen according to your hair's needs.
Also, you could check out the different threads pertaining to the different level's of porosity. They give great input :grin:.
HTH!:drunk:

celiabug

i did the strand test and it just floated, that makes a lot of sense because i have never done anything for porosity control. thanks!

virtuenow

Squeaky hair suggests high porosity. I've researched this b/c I had the same issue (just do a google search and you'll find others w/the same prob). You may need to incorporate protein into your hair diet to balance out your porosity. It is the best way to correct your protein-moisture balance-- and hence porosity. Using a weekly mild protein or reconstructor has been the best thing for my squeaky hair. By the way, the float test is not a good way to determine hair porosity. It's too unreliable. Running your finger down the shaft (away from scalp) is a great way-- and just generally assessing the feel of your hair. This is what you did-- you said it feels matted and "catchy" and that gave you the best answer. Your cuticle is raised and the hair strands are clinging to each other. Using a clarifying shampoo will just raise your cuticles even further, so be warned. Look at these tips: http://www.euphorico.com/tips.html

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
when wet, my hair feels like a matted synthetic wig. it feels like streaky if that makes since, like it would squeak when i rub my fingers down it. i feel like its breaking off but i cant seem to find very many broken hairs. it gets tangled soooo bad and im shedding like CRAZY! can anyone give me some advice?:ohwell:

@celiabug
Squeaky hair - I've only felt this when using shampoos that stripped my hair.

Tangles - I use to be a tangler and can go back there at any given moment if I fail to take proper precaution. Ensuring my hair is properly detangled pre-wash has significantly minimized post-wash tangling. I use detangling product pre-wash to ensure my sheds are removed.

Shedding - Failing to remove shed hairs properly can cause tangles. I shed far more than some (based on their comments regarding how little they shed) but I don't consider it excessive. @Nonie often explains shedding is a healthy function of the scalp and I like to ride with this theory. However, if you feel your shedding is excessive, you should visit the Coffee/Tea thread for ideas. I spritz my hair with teas (marshmallow root & slippery elm) that provide moisture, thus it hasn't minimized shedding in any way. The teas/coffee that are said to control shedding make my hair feel hard/dry.

A great shedding product that I actually use post-TU is Alter Ego Garlic. It helps to control any post-TU shedding issues.

HTH

Last edited:

g.lo

my hair was like that last week, I though probably because I went longer without doing my heavy protein! when i did my protein treatment, same thing! 2 days later I washed again but using a clarifying and chelating shampoo, and it is back to normal now!

venusfly

I'm no expert but i think it sounds like your hair is porous and needing protein. If it were me, I would do a protein treatment (which means moisture treatment too bc you always moisturize after protein to prevent hard hair) and then Roux Porosity and a very diluted, very weak apple cider vinegar rise.