My hair is stuck to my scalp!

Bees

I got a touch up a couple of days ago and experienced some burning. Once I got under the dryer...all hell broke loose...the pain was unbearable. I told the stylist I had to go and would let my hair airdry and comb it out later. When I tried to comb my hair out later...a small patch of my hair was glued to my scalp. It is still stuck to my scalp now. I don't know what to do??? The first day I thought if I wet my hair it would become unglued...but it hasn't. I have been burned before from rubbing and scratching my scalp. I knew I was getting a touch up and thought I had been careful about keeping my hands out of my scalp. I think I might have scratched or rubbed my head while I was sleep. What I am most concerned about is my hair. When the scab falls off...is my hair gonna come out with it?

Isis

I don't think you scratched your scalp in your sleep, it sounds like she burned your scalp! Do you know if she based it first?

Your scalp needs to be treated like all 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Aloe gel is the first thing that's coming to mind to soothe and heal your scalp...

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Ouch! I used to hate when that happened. I think you might lose a few strands unfortunately but I doubt it will be anything serious.

Denim And Leather

Bees said:
I got a touch up a couple of days ago and experienced some burning. Once I got under the dryer...all hell broke loose...the pain was unbearable. I told the stylist I had to go and would let my hair airdry and comb it out later. When I tried to comb my hair out later...a small patch of my hair was glued to my scalp. It is still stuck to my scalp now. I don't know what to do??? The first day I thought if I wet my hair it would become unglued...but it hasn't. I have been burned before from rubbing and scratching my scalp. I knew I was getting a touch up and thought I had been careful about keeping my hands out of my scalp. I think I might have scratched or rubbed my head while I was sleep. What I am most concerned about is my hair. When the scab falls off...is my hair gonna come out with it?

Hey there!

I had this happen to me EVERY time I went to my hairdresser for a touch up, and this would occur when my scalp burned really bad (from either scratching my scalp or sweating before my touch up).

Several months ago, by accident, when I came home from a touch up, I decided to put a little hair grease on the areas that where my scalp was was burning, to see if that would help with my hair sticking, and the next day, I was please to see that my hair did not stick! So afterwards, that's what I did after a touch up, and it really works!

Since it's too late for you to do this, the only other thing I can suggest you do is to very gently, unglue the hair with your fingers, seperating them a few strands at a time, and I do emphasize to do this very gently. This will also unstick your hair (this is what I did before discovering my hair grease solution).

HTH! :)

Last edited:

Bees

Thanx Isis...I'm going to put some aloe vera on right now. I am so freaked out...I couldn't even think to do that.

D&L...I tried lifting the scab up but it is still too tender. I think I will use the aloe vera and wait for a day or two...I don't want to create a sore...ugh!

PatTodd

I used to also rub in hair grease when i got a chemical burn and it did help...hope yours heals soon.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
ITA Aloe gel and Royal Crown hair grease work wonders. Rub the gel onto the stuck patch, and work a little grease into your hair. It will unstick by itself. Try not to pick at it to let it heal, as with any scab, and avoid heat for several days.

I hope it gets better soon. Those chemical burns are no joke. :nono:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Be very careful. When you burn, the scalp doesnt break and bleed but it oozes a clear liquid and that is what turns into the scabs and seals the wounds from the chemical burn. If you dont catch it to begin with you need to wait until the scabs start to lift on their own. The aloe vera you used was a good idea, it will help your skin heal. The oil is a good idea too, but be careful because some of them have added fragrances that will irritate and burn. Normally, after a few days, once you dont feel any pain you can add the grease or oil to soften and start to loosen them. If its not ready to shed the scab and you try to seperate things it will take your hair with it. You may look like you have dandruff for a couple of days. Again, be careful, especially if you wrap your hair, you dont want to scratch your scalp.

PCJ original relaxers have this stuff in the kit called nutrient sheen. You used to be able to buy it by itself in 16 oz bottles. If you relax, rinse, put that in, neutralize you wont get the scabs. I also used to add a lil more directly to my scalp after the final rinse. If you add too much it will make your hair hard, but I used to also distribute it to my ends and if you use other styling products it wont matter. For me it stopped any burning and prevented scabs. Good luck and I hope you feel better. When I read stuff like this it sure makes me not miss relaxing, tho after I started doing my own I didnt really have any burns unless I scratched before I started.

Last edited:

Taya

try washing your hair w/ Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo let it sit for a bit. When I self relaxed and had chemical burns I would wash w/ this and it worked to unstick hair and soothed the scalp( you may want to rinse w/ cool water). I also remember this guy that used to do my hair, he did a retouch on me and I told him I felt some burning,so after the wash routine he poured Seabreeze on my hair( he warned me first) now that stung a little but also felt good and especially w/ the cool water rinse,but I didn't have any problem with hair sticking or anything like that afterwards. The Tea tree poo has a minty smell and tingles the scalp,but it will help. Sorry you had to go through that and hope you find something that works for you.

Tee

I am sitting her with the EXACT same thing going on. I got my hair relaxed Friday and my head has been killing me. On one side my hair is basically stuck to my head. I went BACK to the beauty shop and my stylist put oil (lots of oil) on the spots. She said use grease and whatever you do....do not pick at it, do not try to break it apart, do not wash it.

She also mention Aloe Vera Gel along with using lots of grease to lift the scabs. She said these are basically just like any other burn and need to heal as such.

I feel your pain. literally. I hope you feel better soon.

*Yes I was based very good.*

blackbarbie

I am so sorry to hear about your hair/scalp, but in the past when I have had a chemical burn, what has worked for me and has made the scab fall off almost within 24-36 hours is putting Neosporin on the scalp. I am talking about the regular Neosporin that you put on sores, not the Neosporin AF mentioned in the threads here (don't know if the Neosporin AF would work though)

Because I scar so easily if I get any kind of sore on my body if I don't get the scab off immediately, I keep regular Neosporin on hand at all times and it does the trick for me every time in just making the scab fall right off.

HTH!

Tene

When I use to get chemical burns I would use liquid vitamin A on my sores. It helped my sores heal quick.

aileenadq

I would be leary of going back to the person who relaxed you for any more touch ups. I self-relax, and I rarely get burns like that. Do NOT pick at those scabs!! If the burns are deep enough they will have damaged the hair follicle. Scratching will remove hair.

The Aloe Veray gel is great, but I've found that NeoSporin with pain relief if much better. It will keep the scab from getting hard and help heal the burn faster without scarring.

Good Luck!

A

Bees

I have been using the aloe vera gel and so far my scalp is getting better. Only a few strands are still stuck to my scalp. I am really trying to resist the urge to pick the scabs. Since using the aloe vera...I have almost forgotten that I was burned...that is...until I start to comb my hair. I was very concerned about losing hair than I was the burn...now that's crazy!:grin: thanx for the advice ladies.

neonbright

I hate to say this, but some times when I get the burn during a relaxer and that is not too often. I will have my hairdresser pore a little sea breeze on that area while washing and then rub a little ORS Rep. Pak on the area for a few. This is of course after rising the relaxer out well. Yes the sea breeze burns and tingles but I do not get any scabs or hair stuck to my head...

The Sea Breeze is some old school beauty school thing I keep doing... But a good sensitive scap treatment on you hair helps to protect the hair...