My Formula For Perfect Curls!

so1913

I think I've found another great combination (at least for now ;) )for wearing my hair out and when I'm in the mood for maximum curl definition. I've tried many methods that do work, but the following method has provided me the best results to date.

Tools I used today:
Kera Care Moisturizing Shampoo
DDTA Conditioner
Conair Shower Comb
BBD Stretch as a Leave In
Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion
Diffuser
Miss Jessie's Curly Butter Creme
Gentle hands :)

The "secret weapon" here is Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturzing Hair Lotion. I purchased this based on usage by a natural memeber on the board. This doesn't have a "lotion" consistency, but more of an "egg" slimy feel, lol, if that makes sense. No petrolium or mineral oil. Not greasy or oily, but it does provide a lot of slip which smooths out the hair before applying my styling product, which would be Curly Pudding, Fantasia IC Gel, or BBD Glass. It allows the styling product to dry with a more natural finish, softer and without crunch, and almost completely frizz free. I washed today with Kera Care Moisturizing Shampoo, conditoned with DDTA. When I detangle with the conditioner in the shower, I comb my hair in the direction I'll be styling, in this case, with the part in the middle. I rinse the hair, leaving the hair in the direction it was combed in. Out of the shower, I apply a dollop of Stretch (which is a must especially with using a diffuser to protect my hair against the heat) and a good amount of the Kids Organics Moisturizing Lotion. Using this product in place of Jamaican Mango Lime Cactus Leave in has been the difference. Although I do like JML Cactus Leave in, the moisturizing lotion provides smoother and softer results. After applying these products, I work in Fantasia IC Gel in sections. I scooped a generous amount per section, grab the section of hair, working in the product one section at a time, smoothing the hair by running my hands down the length of the gathered hair, the raking through with my fingers (as if a comb) maybe two or three times to separate the curls. I work with 4 sections in total, front left, back left, back right, front right working the product in in a downward motion. At this point you can leave your hair wet if you don't mind that kind of thing, but I choose to diffuse a bit to speed up drying time. I have a GREAT diffuser and I don't know if they make it anymore which sucks because I need a new one (due to my dropping it quite a few times over the years, it's a little dented and the diffuser head sometimes doesn't stay on too well). Some diffusers still allow the air from the dryer to still blow with a lot of pressure, disturbing the hair/curl pattern, but the one I have by Physique (pictured here http://public.fotki.com/so1913/products-1/tools_and_accessories/img_1083.html), the pressure is VERY gentle so the hair is not disturbed as much. After drying about 70% to 85%, I fluffed and finger style using Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme.

Here were the results.

ETA: LOL, it doesn't take that much time. From start (shampoo, conditioning, detangling in shower) to stying, takes me 20-30 mins tops. On the shorter side if I minimize the time I diffuse or eliminate it.

IMG_3280-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Very Pretty Results. Sounds like a lot of work but well worth it. You look amazing!

Letitia said:
Very Pretty Results. Sounds like a lot of work but well worth it. You look amazing!

Actually, it's not that bad. Not sure if the detail makes it sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I do it pretty quickly. From washing, conditioning, and detangling in the shower to styling and diffusing maybe 20-30 mins in total! The roughest part for me is drying because I hate walking around with wet hair, that's where the diffuser comes handy to speed up;)

so1913 said:
Actually, it's not that bad. Not sure if the detail makes it sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I do it pretty quickly. From washing, conditioning, and detangling in the shower to styling and diffusing maybe 20-30 mins in total!

Yes, the details make it sound like it would take FOREVER, I was thinking boy is she one sweet, patient soul with her hair:lol:. Glad it doesn't take as much time as it sounds like it would.

hopeful said:
Yes, the details make it sound like it would take FOREVER, I was thinking boy is she one sweet, patient soul with her hair:lol:. Glad it doesn't take as much time as it sounds like it would.

LOL, shoot, this ain't no Miss Jessie's Shingling 101. Seriously, all you do is squirt, grab hair and apply, plus I apply whatever leave ins/moisturizers I'm going to use together at one time. It probably takes 3 minutes at the MOST to apply any products before drying. I get up for work 6:10am and I am out the door by 7:20am the latest and that's with hair, showering, getting dressed, getting things together, and everything else I need to do to get ready for the day. It don't dry 100% before I walk out the door, this picture is mid day and it's completely dried. I was just trying to give as much detail as possible ;)

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! I have a whole bunch of crap (products) laying around here, so I'm trying to find uses for them so I can use them up. I have to share when I get good results :)

girl i love the ***Kids Organics Shea Butter*** its gr8!!!

p.s. your hairs HOT. im gunna try this for sure!

Don't you just love a good curl combo! I found mine recently and I'm so excited! Your hair looks great by the way. I have that Organics detangler and the Africa's Best liquid hair mayo and they are both great products. I use Elucence MB the way you used the detangler. I comb it through and add my products on top. It really sets a good base for the style. Have you ever tried a honey rinse? It is great for curl definition and reduces frizz. I added this to my usual curly regimin and I had the best frizz free curls for two days.

Pokahontas said:
Don't you just love a good curl combo! I found mine recently and I'm so excited! Your hair looks great by the way. I have that Organics detangler and the Africa's Best liquid hair mayo and they are both great products. I use Elucence MB the way you used the detangler. I comb it through and add my products on top. It really sets a good base for the style. Have you ever tried a honey rinse? It is great for curl definition and reduces frizz. I added this to my usual curly regimin and I had the best frizz free curls for two days.

Honey rinse? No, I haven't tried this. How exactly do you do this?

so1913 said:
Honey rinse? No, I haven't tried this. How exactly do you do this?
It's very easy. Just dissolve one spoon of honey into about a cup and a half of warm water. Pour through as your final rinse, don't rinse out and style as usual. You won't beleive how much that little bit of honey can do.

I did this and used Elucence MB afterwards as a leave in. I had great frizz free, well-defined curls for days.

Last edited:
Brownshugaz said:
So1913,are you scrunching, smoothing, or combing thru the products?

I just grab a section of hair and apply the products with hand, smoothing downward and finger combing to separate and work in.

OK...i'm really about to try and do this - do you think it will work on my natural hair (I have a pic of non-blow dried hair in my album - www.fotki.com/MyNadidas)?

You do your usual routine, take the Miss jessies and simply apply using your fingers to smooth it in? No shingling? No curling the little pieces, or do you curl 'em with your fingers?

MsNadi said:
OK...i'm really about to try and do this - do you think it will work on my natural hair (I have a pic of non-blow dried hair in my album - www.fotki.com/MyNadidas)?

You do your usual routine, take the Miss jessies and simply apply using your fingers to smooth it in? No shingling? No curling the little pieces, or do you curl 'em with your fingers?

Yep, I don't have patience for shingling so I do more of what they call "finger styling" The results are slightly different, shingling takes out more of the bulk (I like my bulk :) ) No curling pieces, if anything, I'll just rake through the section of hair with my fingers, pulling downward if I want to separate/stretch out/smooth the curls. You have a lot more hair than me, so you may need to apply in a few more sections. Don't be afraid to use generous amounts. It may take you a few tries before finding the right amount of product you need to achieve your desired look, I use more or less depending on how I'm feeling that day, but once you figure out all that, it's pretty simple.

naturaline said:
what do you do with your hair at night? ;-)

I sleep on a satin pillow case. I'm frequent CW'er so I don't make too much effort to extend the style. If it happens to look ok the next day, I'll go with it.

DEEP SIGH!! See this is how PJism gets started...This type of thread makes me want to go out and buy every product you mentioned...but I refuse to become a PJ so I will resist...plus I am not natural yet and my permed ends would just laugh at me trying to achieve this style :grin:

Your hair is GORGEOUS though..and INSPIRING! I will PM you after I BC to ask about this thread..I am sure it will be long buried by December...

I picked up the Kids ORGANICS Shea Butter at Target for two dollars a couple of weeks ago...I just saw it read the ingredients and thought it sounded good and it was cheap..so I put it in the drawer to try later...this is the first that I have heard of someone using it...I will probably try it this weekend...glad I am developing an eye for good products....:D

Back