My ends dont want to part w/ each other1

sassyhair

My whenever I comb my hair with my fingers or a regular wide tooth comb my ends get stuck together and kind of snag. I know people say trim to get rid of this, but I have been there and done that..any recommendations?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
If you don't wanna trim, comb your hair in sections. For each section you comb, comb out the ends first, then work your way toward the roots and comb through the entire section of hair gently. HTH!

Angelicus

comb your hair in the flow of the shower, or use a more effective leave-in. Better yet, maybe you need a comb with smaller, less spaced-out teeth.

Synthia

Make sure you're using something to close and smooth your hair cuticle ..whether a detangler, ACV rinse, cold water rinse, a small drop of oil smoothed over wet hair, etc.

When the cuticle is ragged or abraided strands cling together. But if you close your cuticles ...you should have good detangling even once dry.

Hopefully someone can come on and give you better tips about this.

Because even if I have bad ends and refuse to cut them, I never have tangles because of what I described above.

krissyprissy

Always apply oil or moisturizer to the ends before combing wet or dry. I noticed fewer tangles and little broken hairs after I started doing this.

sassyhair

I always try to make sure I saturate my ends with oil before I blow-dry and before heat styling. I run into problems usually two-three days after washing.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Sassyhair,
it sounds like you have split ends which are actually splitting along the hair shaft instead of at the ends. I would cut or trim the ends and lay off the heat. I would also regularly deep condition and maybe look at using new products, what products are you using?

MeechUK

sassyhair

Sounds like a plan but I dont think I can completely let go of heat unless I go to the salon and get rollersets every two weeks.

Lovelylocs

Synthia said:
Make sure you're using something to close and smooth your hair cuticle ..whether a detangler, ACV rinse, cold water rinse, a small drop of oil smoothed over wet hair, etc.

When the cuticle is ragged or abraided strands cling together. But if you close your cuticles ...you should have good detangling even once dry.

Hopefully someone can come on and give you better tips about this.

Because even if I have bad ends and refuse to cut them, I never have tangles because of what I described above.
cosigning.... :yup: Aveda's Damage Intensive Reconstructor works really well for that. :)

syze6

You may have to part with the ends. As another poster stated, your hair is splitting all the way up. Even if your ends look great and are neatly trimmed, the hair up the strand is damaged. This is what was happennign to me. I could comb through and finger comb to a certain point. Once I reached that point it was nothing but tangles and the ends were sticking together. It was driving me nuts, I used reconstructures and deep conditons but it didn't get better. My ends were thin and you could see through them. I cut them today and I'm glad I did! Good Luck!

sassyhair

syze6 said:
You may have to part with the ends. As another poster stated, your hair is splitting all the way up. Even if your ends look great and are neatly trimmed, the hair up the strand is damaged. This is what was happennign to me. I could comb through and finger comb to a certain point. Once I reached that point it was nothing but tangles and the ends were sticking together. It was driving me nuts, I used reconstructures and deep conditons but it didn't get better. My ends were thin and you could see through them. I cut them today and I'm glad I did! Good Luck!

How much of them did you cut?

How will I know how far to cut up if it is splitting up the shaft?

syze6

Hey Sassy, I went and got about 3-4 inches cut. I got long layers and I rolled it last night and it looks so much better. I have body and it's fuller. Don't get me wrong, I loved my hair longer before but it was just long and thin looking adn it just hung there.

Doremie13

sassyhair said:
I always try to make sure I saturate my ends with oil before I blow-dry and before heat styling. I run into problems usually two-three days after washing.

Hi there! I was about to cut off my hair because my ends were so bad in January. But after joining the board, I stopped using heat (no blow-dry, no curling iron) and literally coated my ends and edges day and night with coconut oil grease and the ends got softer and weren't as bad. I did "dust" the really bad ones, but there is a difference in my ends for sure.

I'm prepared to get a trim after my relaxer next month to help smooth and even things out. But I've been able to hang on to my length by taking better care of my ends. Now I only coat my ends after a shampoo, and I use a serum or moisturizer all other times. HTH... :)

Lovelylocs

Sassy, how often do u deep condition? I don't think that u should cut them at all. I think you should try to work through it. You will learn a lot and you won't have to loose as much length, if any at all. :)

sassyhair

Lovelylocs said:
Sassy, how often do u deep condition? I don't think that u should cut them at all. I think you should try to work through it. You will learn a lot and you won't have to loose as much length, if any at all. :)

I deep condition once every 3-7 days.

sassyhair

I have decided to trim 1-1.5 inches off when I go to the salon and start paying careful attention to them from now on.

cocoberry10

sassyhair said:

This could actually be the problem. I think on some people's hair, using oil actually causes the hair to bond together like glue. I had a disaster this summer like that. I put conditioner on my hair (and I add oil to my conditioner--at least I used to). Anyway, I put my plastic cap on, and went outside on the deck, since my cat wanted to go outside (I had to watch him, so no animals would get him). Anywhoo, I sat outside in the sunlight, and left conditioner on for like 2-3 hours. When I rinsed it out, it had created the biggest knot in the middle of my hair :eek: :( :nono: :nono: :sad: :sad: :sad:!

I went to the hairdresser two days later, and she spent almost 1.5 hours trying to detangle. I lost soooooooooooooo much hair that day, I just cried! She explained to me what had happened and told me never to do that again. That may be your problem, especially if it's closer to relaxer time (assuming you relax). Once I get past week 6, I have to use things that are light with good slip, or it's disaster for my hair. Sorry post so long, and hope it helps you.

sassyhair

cocoberry10 said:
This could actually be the problem. I think on some people's hair, using oil actually causes the hair to bond together like glue. I had a disaster this summer like that. I put conditioner on my hair (and I add oil to my conditioner--at least I used to). Anyway, I put my plastic cap on, and went outside on the deck, since my cat wanted to go outside (I had to watch him, so no animals would get him). Anywhoo, I sat outside in the sunlight, and left conditioner on for like 2-3 hours. When I rinsed it out, it had created the biggest knot in the middle of my hair :eek: :( :nono: :nono: :sad: :sad: :sad:!

I went to the hairdresser two days later, and she spent almost 1.5 hours trying to detangle. I lost soooooooooooooo much hair that day, I just cried! She explained to me what had happened and told me never to do that again. That may be your problem, especially if it's closer to relaxer time (assuming you relax). Once I get past week 6, I have to use things that are light with good slip, or it's disaster for my hair. Sorry post so long, and hope it helps you.

My ends have never became tangled like that from the oil. I think my problem is over-processed ends. I have color on my ends. But, I didnt know that oil could do that.

baglady215

I was having this problem, and it was because of jacked up ends. I recently got a trim. It helped, but I still have more to chop off. A trim should do you good.

sassyhair

baglady215 said:
I was having this problem, and it was because of jacked up ends. I recently got a trim. It helped, but I still have more to chop off. A trim should do you good.

Yup and I am looking forward to a fresh start.