Is This Type of Breakage/Shedding Normal?

starz

Here goes, every night I put a moisturizer in my hair(ors olive oil lotion or sta-sof-fro gel cream),I then gently comb my hair with a wide-tooth comb and some hairs come out in the comb,a normal amount.
However, as I put oil (hollywood beauty carrot oil or coconut oil)on the ends, I get more hairs coming out on my fingers. What concerns me is that some of the hairs show breakage? What's going on? Why does more hair come out even though I've already combed my hair? Somebody help me please.TIA

Yes, that seems to me like you have some breakage that needs to be dealt with.
frown.gif

The best way to deal with the breakage is to have the ends cut. Sounds like you need a good trim and it also seems like you are overloading your hair with products. You do not want your hair cuticles to get clogged. You also might need to switch the products you are using.

To be honest Starz, the only way to free your hair of all shedded hairs is to comb through it with a fine tooth comb. Other than that, a wide tooth comb is not going to catch all the hairs that have detached themselves from your scalp.
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BandB2003 said:
The best way to deal with the breakage is to have the ends cut. Sounds like you need a good trim

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this part. A trim sometimes does the trick for broken hairs. It allows the comb to glide through the ends easier.
smile.gif

I have this breakage, but it isn't necessarily at the ends of my hair. It doesn't matter what I do, I always have breakage. I put my hair in a bun, and I take the scrunchie out and see breakage. I see breakage on my scarf that I use to cover my head.

I know it is breakage, because its usually a few very short hairs w/o bulbs. I've had this as long as I could remember, and I always thought it was normal until I came to this site and heard of women with no breakage at all! So I'm thinking that since it's not only on the ends, that a trim might not be solve it.

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
To be honest Starz, the only way to free your hair of all shedded hairs is to comb through it with a fine tooth comb. Other than that, a wide tooth comb is not going to catch all the hairs that have detached themselves from your scalp.
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so true. I'm glad you posted this because I don't think a lot of people know this. I do use a fine tooth comb on my hair at least once a week.

Thanks. People need not to be afraid of fine-tooth combs. I use mine all the time and suffer no breakage at all. I like it better than my wide-tooth one, actually.
ohwell.gif

But anyways, a wide tooth comb goes over big clumps of hair at a time, whereas the small one will comb through very small portions of hair with detail, thus ridding it of hair that's not hanging from your scalp anymore.

No prob.
up.gif

Just be gentle with the small-tooth comb, and make sure your hair is ALREADY detangled before using it. That is VERY important.

I'm able to navigate with it easier when my hair is wet with a leave-in, preferably.
smile.gif

Thank you ladies. I will use your suggestions. I think I am due for a trim, I've just been too scared to trust any hairdresser to do it right.

Thank you Karonica. Your suggestion on using a fine tooth comb helped my problem. It's funny how it's the simple things that work.

Back