4b Pressing Comb Users: Smooth ends question..

dlove

First of all you have to know that I have the curliest natural hair 4b. I am having trouble pressing my ends without them getting tangled and breaking off. I always comb with my large tooth comb, then with my small tooth comb for detangling purposes. I pressed my hair today and got a small wad of hair ( 6 quarters) to come out. If I press my hair weekly...that adds up!:sad:

I know all the tricks to help: Recently got a trim, ACV rinse before conditining, plait hair and press in small sections. I still get tangles on the very ends.

Question: How do you press to get your ends as smooth as the rest of the hair shaft?

I have to flat iron my hair after my hot comb press to get a "bump", height and body. - Just one swipe does it.

BTW Sabino Moisture Block Rocks:yep:

Last edited:

eshille

I keep a paper towel handy.

My first pass is to get it all straight...my second pass I bump/curl my hair. I start at the root rolling under as I go down the strand, when I get very close to the ends I hold the comb briefly, place the paper towel on top of the comb to protect my fingers then turn under and pull through. I get a smooth curl...I roll each section as I finish bumping and then unroll it all until the next wash day.

That's my method for the last 'umpteen years...HTH

ETA: Holding the comb/paper towel on the ends briefly locks the curl and smooths the ends for me.

Last edited:

Irresistible

I am having trouble pressing my ends without them getting tangled and breaking off. I always comb with my large tooth comb, then with my small tooth comb for detangling purposes. I pressed my hair today and got a small wad of hair ( 6 quarters) to come out. If I press my hair weekly...that adds up!:sad:

I know all the tricks to help: Recently got a trim, ACV rinse before conditining, plait hair and press in small sections. I still get tangles on the ends.

Question: How do you press to get your ends as smooth as the rest of the hair shaft?

I have to flat iron my hair after my hot comb press to get a "bump", height and body. - Just one swipe does it.

BTWL Sabino Moisture Block Rocks:yep:

so how often does this mean your doing ACV rinses?

maybe some light natural oil on the ends?

NGraceO

This is a little off topic, but my ends always tend to bother me when I press too, so maybe this would help : one thing i accidently noticed today was that putting a coat of my daily moisturizer( kids organics shea butter moisturizer) on my ends, then sealing it w/ coconut oil detangled my ends almost instantly. I think that would help for your pre-press:) HTH, GOD BLESS!!

dlove

Thanks for your input ladies...

Nnelove and Irrestible: I read that oils and pressing is a no-no.:nono: The oils actually fry your hair. It looks nice at first, then eventually thins your hair press after press. Search it here on the forum. I do the acv with every wash.

Eshille:Are you saying that grab the back of the hot comb (instead of using the handle) with a paper towel to press. I'm trying to picture this. Can you take a picture of this method and attach it under the attach files option?

ImFree27

I use the chase method and it helps to get my ends smooth before it looked all rageldy, but the chase works for me. i get the chase comb from wal-mart. it looks like a comb flatiron

eshille

Nnelove and Irrestible: I read that oils and pressing is a no-no.:nono: The oils actually fry your hair. It looks nice at first, then eventually thins your hair press after press. Search it here on the forum. I do the acv with every wash.

Eshille:Are you saying that grab the back of the hot comb (instead of using the handle) with a paper towel to press. I'm trying to picture this. Can you take a picture of this method and attach it under the attach files option?

dlove...don't have a camera right now but I will try and 'plain it.

Once my hair is straight...I take a section and insert the teeth of the comb into that section, pull up slightly from the roots and then turn under immediately...this starts the bump/curl. I always hold the part of the hair not in the comb...sticking out the back...w/my fingers as I move down the strand, keeping the comb turned under. What you are doing here is creating a type of arc/curl.

When I get to or near the ends...I grab the paper towel...folded and doubled....hair still in teeth of comb and put the folded paper towel on the BACK of the hot comb next to the hair...apply slight pressure by pressing on the paper while I pull the hair through, still turning under. I roll each completed section until I finish my entire head.

I found out a long time ago this got my ends flat...don't know if it's the pressure when I apply the paper and pull through or if it's the concentration of the heat in that area. I work very quickly on this part of the press because I don't want to hold the comb/w the paper and my hair in that position very long.

I plan to get a camera when I return from vacation so if you still want to see the steps I will be able to take some shots...just pm me and let me know.

eshille

I use the chase method and it helps to get my ends smooth before it looked all rageldy, but the chase works for me. i get the chase comb from wal-mart. it looks like a comb flatiron

Is this a regular flat iron or a flat iron w/teeth? Do you know the name of this jewel...:grin:
TIA

ImFree27

Is this a regular flat iron or a flat iron w/teeth? Do you know the name of this jewel...:grin:
TIA

Its a comb, but it has a clamp on it, like if you are pressing it down to hold the comb like a flat iron, its easier than a regular comb... its by goody

eshille

Its a comb, but it has a clamp on it, like if you are pressing it down to hold the comb like a flat iron, its easier than a regular comb... its by goody

Thanks ImFree27...I'll look into it...that clamp business sounds like my paper towel business...pressing down when I get to my ends....:grin:.

I went to wally mart's web site, they had a tourmaline pressing comb but nothing by goody...I also chk'd the store today. I'll do a search on-line to look at it.

Thanks again...:yep:

Irresistible

Nah girl it aint fried my ends nor thinned them out yet, in fact without oils, my hair would probably be jacked , so its a matter of different hair different opinions not actual fact

I think doing an ACV rinse every wash might be too much , I would think it would be stripping your hair too much, I thought ACV was for clarifying only?

dlove

Nah girl it aint fried my ends nor thinned them out yet, in fact without oils, my hair would probably be jacked , so its a matter of different hair different opinions not actual fact

I think doing an ACV rinse every wash might be too much , I would think it would be stripping your hair too much, I thought ACV was for clarifying only?

Irresistible, your hair is beautiful! I think your curl pattern maybe larger- like 3 something? than my tightly coiled nappy hair. That may be the reason why you can get those ends smooth with less effort. ACV rinse is for consticting the hair cuticle thus making the hair smoother and about to absorb the conditioner better. Wash, rinse, acv rinse, rinse, DC.

Irresistible

Irresistible, your hair is beautiful! I think your curl pattern maybe larger- like 3 something? than my tightly coiled nappy hair. That may be the reason why you can get those ends smooth with less effort. ACV rinse is for consticting the hair cuticle thus making the hair smoother and about to absorb the conditioner better. Wash, rinse, acv rinse, rinse, DC.

Thank you.....

well girl my ends despite my type can be tangly , dry and still fried if not taken care of, I'm just saying , bone dry hair , with no oil, would be bad for me

as for the ACV, all I have ever heard is it strips the hair, I would be worried to use it that much

but if its working for you .....then if it aint broke......

AtlantaJJ

I bought this the other day. I haven't used it yet, its in my "when I use heat" stash. It's the perfect too for chasing the comb I guess with flat iron or a pressing comb.

eshille

I bought this the other day. I haven't used it yet, its in my "when I use heat" stash. It's the perfect too for chasing the comb I guess with flat iron or a pressing comb.

Atlanta and ImFree...I went to the goody web site but there's no gizmo like the one you described. Got a pic or name for this product?

Is this a flat iron or is it a comb...NOT a hot comb...but a regular comb?
There were no electrical stuffiums sold on the goody site that I could find.

Don't know how anyone could chase the pressing comb or even need to too????
I guess I'm REAL old school....:lachen:

Thanks ladies....:grin:

dlove

Ladies JJ Atlanta (sp? sorry) posted this in another thread. This maybe the solution. I will try it on my next press and post.