My Brother Said.....(Don't Get Mad)

Ms Kain

This thread made me sick, it sounds very "black bashing". How wonderful for those who chimed in to ad lib/brag about all the compliments they get on their hair smell; but the overall tone is negative-- and on what is supposed to be an uplifting board-- LHCF. If you have to start a thread with "don't get mad...but", then chances are you should not post the thread in the first place. Definitely started off on the wrong note. There are better ways to discuss the joys of co-washing.

.....orrrr this post may help a lot of women of color who do not think about how their hair smells but really need to. As unsavory as it may be to read, it's hard to deny that by the end of this thread many of them will learn how they too can keep their hair from smelling like mildew and old socks!

I'm jus' sayin'.....if we can't talk about it here (where there's mainly women of color and not others who love to scrutinize us) then were can we go to discuss it?

So really, it's all in how you choose to look at it. :yep:

- Hera

Last edited:

SVT

I'm frequently complimented on my hair's scent when I condition wash with Suave Coconut.

I've never received those compliments when I straighten it. :perplexed That's one of my goals - to have pretty-scented straight hair. :yep:

DarkHair

I used Shea Moisture and some Bee Mine hair/scalp moisturizer. DH said that my hair smells like the orange-glazed cinnamon rolls I made last week :look:

karebear0610

I agree with him too. One of my good friends washes her hair every 2 weeks, and sometimes I'll catch a wiff of that not so clean smelling scalp :ohwell:...and maybe even see her scratch her scalp and flick the dirt from under her nail!!! :nono:

I wash twice a week, and I'm sticking with it!

Ewwww, you had my laughing at my desk, LOL:lol:

Kiadodie

This thread made me sick, it sounds very "black bashing". How wonderful for those who chimed in to ad lib/brag about all the compliments they get on their hair smell; but the overall tone is negative-- and on what is supposed to be an uplifting board-- LHCF. If you have to start a thread with "don't get mad...but", then chances are you should not post the thread in the first place. Definitely started off on the wrong note. There are better ways to discuss the joys of co-washing.

Girl, relax. It's just hair and if you dont wash it often it WILL stink bottom line. :ohwell:

sweetlaughter

I used to spray my hair with perfume when I was relaxed because I did not wash it enough. Now that I am natural and use better products and wash my hair more frequently I get complimented all the time on the smell. Even the pharmacist at the grocery complimented me on it when I went to buy allergy meds. It is a hard pill for some to swallow with what OP's brother said but a lot of BW and women in general need to hear it.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
there was a girl who sat down in front of me in class yesterday and i got a whiff of Blue Magic. it really brought back memories.

another time i was walking to class and the smell of oil sheen literally knocked me out but there was no one around. a few steps later i turned a corner and there she was. :rofl: if your hair can be smelled before you, that is a problem.

it grinds my gears that "white" products smell flowery or fruits and products targeted towards us smell like motor oil.:nono:

newbeginnings2010

My DH disagrees with the OP's brother, as do I. I haven't read this entire thread, but I wash my hair every three weeks and it doesn't stink. Using lighter heat protectants, moisturizers, and oils helps a lot, and I'm only moisturizing twice a week. My DH never commented on my sweet-smelling hair when I did cowash every other day (and my cowashing days were waaaaay before we were married), and he compliments me more on the healthiness and length of my hair. Besides that, scented body wash, lotions, and perfumes accomplish the same thing. I get more compliments when I use all three matching scented items.

To each his own I say, but I don't think one man can speak for "most men," unless he's surveyed the entire planet. My DH hates being grouped like that: in the category of "most men." Everyone's an individual, right?