My 6 year old son doesn't like my hair!

FeelinIt

My 6 year old son doesn\'t like my hair!

So I go pick up the little munchkin
babyg.gif
at aftercare and he goes into his backpack and pulls out a picture someone at his school took of me and him. It's a really cute picture BTW. Well at the time my hair was in a sewn in weave and I thought I was cute and this was just a year ago. Now looking back on that picture I had to ask myself what was I doing.
confused.gif
My hair was black but the weave was like an auburn color. And pictures really do bring out imperfections.

When we get in the car, I put the picture on my dashboard and he says "Mommy I like your hair like that". And I reply "Don't you like Mommy's hair like this?" And he shakes his little munchkin head no. And I was like WHAT?!
shocked.gif
It's not all that serious but I was hoping by being natural he would be more accustomed to liking natural haired women as he gets older. Not that he should discriminate but I want him to see the beauty in being natural as well. But I have noticed that when I, on very rare occasions now, get my hair straightened, he says he likes it but won't say a word about my PUFF! LOL What's wrong wit him ya'll?
ohwell.gif

Re: My 6 year old son doesn\'t like my hair!

It's probably just conditioning. Although we're seeing many, there aren't that many natural-haired women on tv with twas. I'm sure he'll grow to like it.

Aww! I wouldn't feel bad though since he's still a "little" munchkin, lol. Do you think that maybe he's used to seeing people with the texture of hair you wore in your pic, and straight hair in general? Maybe it's the fact that your hair may be different from a lot of other people he's surrounded by at his school. Whatever it may be, I'm sure he will grow out of it
smile.gif
. Just my .2cents
wink.gif

When I was that age I remember not liking my natural hair either, wanting straight hair. I think I was influenced a lot by what I saw on tv, even the black people I saw on tv had straight hair, so you come to believe that it's more beautiful. It makes me sad to hear that the same thing is going on these days.
frown.gif

I don't know what the answer is...hopefully one day he will realise that natural hair is beautiful too.

I love that about kids..they are always honest.

That thinking runs deep...and even if you champion natural hair...it is still not the norm to see it. You are seeing more of it...but still not enough. Where yours proud and he will see the natural beauty in the way you are carrying yourself.

Tell him: "This is how mommy's hair is naturally. Mommy's hair is alot like your hair. God made us different from others, but that doesn't mean our hair looks worse."

...that's what my mom told me when I bothered her about this in the 5th grade.
laugh.gif

Back