MTG, I quit....

AmyInAtl

I am giving my new 32 oz bottle of mtg a rest, after a few uses....
has anyone else gave thier mtg a rest?
I sorta got tired of it running everywhere....
the smell of it on a regular basis
my edges miss it, but keeping up so many other hair routines, i needed a break,
plus all that hair manipulation/parting to apply was too many steps....
sigh.....

I gave up on this a long time ago, as I just couldn't stand the smell. I have a brand new 32 oz bottle that is unopened and I am gonna but it on the swap board. I just can't stomach this product!

:( So sorry Sophia! I had the same problem! Until..........I became a MIXOLOGIST!:D I just added a little MTG into my WGHO (convenient, nozzle bottle for applying); then I got REAL GOOD and mixed MTG, Hollywood Sulphur Grease, WGHO, coconut, & castor oils in an old hair grease jar. It was still nice and runny, sorta like thick motor oil. :look: Easy to apply to JUST edges and nape this way.

Well hope you find something you can do with it! IF NOT my home is warm and MTG friendly, I adopt all lost products!:lachen:

I've never smelled the real stuff, but from what I've read, it's just awful. I don't think I'll touch the stuff with a 10 ft pole.

I have also given my MTG a rest. After about a month of using it I have noticed that the back and sides of my neck and my hairline just above my forhead are started getting a bit scaly and itchy!!!:eek:
I don't use it straight I use it in a mixture of WGO, CO and peppermint oil.
I did experience a good amount of growth but I can't really say what it's from.
Anyway, I'm going to just stick with the other products for now :ohwell:

i'm on the fence, but i was using it for 4 weeks and didn't notice any extra growth, my hair is very thick, so i haven't ntices any added thickness either. i did notice that my face started to break out whic isn't normal for me. i'm gonna give it a break and see how my face clears up and keep using my regular products...

I order some one time tha smell made me sick allergy starts actin up big time along with sneezin ,and dont forget HEADACHE

I soak my head in it till all of it was gone never will i buy AGAIN.

I did quit MTG after using it over the summer, because I didn't want to have to deal with the smell since I was back at school. But my hair misses it, especially my nape and edges. When I tried mixing it with stuff to lessen the smell, I found that I didn't get the same results from when I used it straight.

I'm actually starting it up again. If anthing, I'll put it in my nape because it's far from my nose and it's not in a place that's close to anyone else either!

I stopped using MTG months ago because I was tired of applying it to my scalp. I don't like oiling my scalp (too much work). I went through ( 3) 32 oz. bottles and I did notice a lil growth but I was tired of applying it, parting my hair and all. I did use it straight with no chaser though. The smell did not bother me at all:)

Clearly I'm a weirdo because the smell doesnt bother me that much. I just apply it at night and sleep with my scarf and by morning the smell is diffused...and the growth...OMG!! This is the one thing I can say has helped fill in my edges after years of getting my weave GLUED-IN! That nape is growing like crazy too!

The first time I used MTG I put it down too. I then realized that I had to alter "how" I applied it. Now I use a dye applicator bottle. I don't mix it with anything as by applying a small amount to my scalp at night and rubbing it in, by the morning time the spell is gone. To be sure that there is no sulfur smell left behind, I'll put a few drops of Lavender oil in my palms and rub them over my hair.

I'm sorry it isn't going to well for you. Maybe you could try one of the homemade MTG conctions instead? There is an odorless one out there somewhere.

gloomgeisha said:
The first time I used MTG I put it down too. I then realized that I had to alter "how" I applied it. Now I use a dye applicator bottle.

Good point!

SophiaRose, you mentioned that you don't like all of the manipulation from parting. I used to have to do that when I was applying with my fingers. But then i put it in an old WGO bottle and so I just stick that in my hair and apply to the scalp. It's a good way to avoid putting too much and to eliminate the parting.

I apply it to my hair, not my scalp. No wonder people are getting it all over the place!:lol: My hair is thicker and stronger because of MTG and I cover the smell with Surge and la india hair creme. I'm a daily washer, so I don't have the issues of odor. ;) I've also used a spray bottle to apply it. If anyone wants to sell their MTG, please PM me.:D

I stopped using it along time ago, and just poured all the oil out and added the sulfer to a homemade scalp treatment I whipped up. I just added a little at a time until the sulfer was gone I even made my mom a batch to get rid of the bottle, and I don't think I'll be purchasing it again.

I loved it when i started cos it did make my hair grow like wild fire...
but my scalp started itching way too much...i tried to bear it but the itch intensified.
Had to stop so p/ple wont think i'd caught head lice...My scalp was beginning to bleed from the itchies.
I stopped since october and unlike the 1.5 inches that MTG gave me, i get a quarter to half inches growth per month.
I may go back again but i will definately use it less frequently

No wonder those relaxers wouldn't take :lol: the way you wanted, MTG helps make the hair more resistant.
DDtexlaxd said:
I apply it to my hair, not my scalp. No wonder people are getting it all over the place!:lol: My hair is thicker and stronger because of MTG and I cover the smell with Surge and la india hair creme. I'm a daily washer, so I don't have the issues of odor. ;) I've also used a spray bottle to apply it. If anyone wants to sell their MTG, please PM me.:D

I threw mine out last year. I'm very sensitive to scents and I just couldn't take the smell anymore. I tried to mask it, but no matter what I could always smell that underlying rubbery tone. My mom and I noticed my hair was very thick when I started using it, but I haven't used it in almost a year and my hair is still thick, so that thickness might have come from just having a good hair regimen.

Last edited:
BeautifulWideEyes said:
No wonder those relaxers wouldn't take :lol: the way you wanted, MTG helps make the hair more resistant.

You know, I never thought of that.:lol: I just thought MTG makes these chemicals last only a few weeks in my hair. My hair has thrived and has never been this healthy with chemicals in it. I wish I could get relaxer strait hair, but I'd much rather it be healthy.:) The next time I retouch, I will leave the JFM softner on for a bit longer.

SR, I feel you. I never even got through half of the little sample sized bottle. I just could not stand it overall - the smell, oiliness, damage to silver jewelry. - just not worth it for me anymore.

All I got to say is pass it over...you can pm or else I will be ordering from Shapley's because I am almost finished and am ready for some more. :D

I must be a wierdo as well because the smell doesn't bother me at all. I'm not sure though if it has really helped my hair to grow because I never had a problem with my hair growing. I should be able to tell this time if it is helping because when I started using MTG I was already about 14wks post relaxer. So if I start seeing newgrowth appear sooner(I don't see newgrowth until the fourth week post relaxer) then I will assume that the MTG helps.

i gave it up months ago. i tried it for about a month and didn't notice any growth. it was a waste of time and effort.

I didn't quit quit, but I am giving it up for the winter. I cannot walk around in Michigan with semi wet hair. The smell really is not bad IMO; I guess to each his own. WGO smells worse to me. I will MTG in the Spring/Summer/Fall months.

I also agree with another poster. It is a lot of manipulation.

MTG was not good for me. The smell made me nauseous and my scalp was burning. There are so many ladies that swear by it just like I swear by MSM. Hair care regime is such an individual experience. You hair and body will tell you what is good for you.

i just bought the small bottle to test it out and most likely I wont buy it again. I have used it twice ow and everytime I use it. It's like for some reason my body feels weird and creepy. I dont if its a subconscious thing or what. But i try not to apply too much. I'm using it for my hairline and part in the middle of my head that its kinds of thin. I just hope it promotes some good growth to get those areas jumping and then I wont need to buy it again. And oh yes, the smell is not good at all but I try to use a little, put on a scarf as quick as possible and wash my hands to get me from smelling it.

I used MTG on a regular basis from June thru Sept but I have since stopped. I got a little lazy with the parting and applying to the scalp. I think I will try again in the Spring and Summer months too.

p31woman said:
Clearly I'm a weirdo because the smell doesnt bother me that much. I just apply it at night and sleep with my scarf and by morning the smell is diffused...and the growth...OMG!! This is the one thing I can say has helped fill in my edges after years of getting my weave GLUED-IN! That nape is growing like crazy too!
Yeh, the smell doesn't bother me either. I apply mine in the same way.

Yup I can relate. I finger-part my hair 8 ways & apply it w/an applicator bottle, then massage my scalp. Just like Hericane10 said, become a mixologist. You may be able to salvage your MTG and make the smell bearable. This is what I mixed the MTG with:

4 oz of MTG

The other 1/2 container:

2 tbs. sulpher powder
3 oz castor oil
1 oz coconut oil
peppermint oil and sage oil

I'm experimenting with this for 1 month before I qUIT....

SophiaRose said:
I am giving my new 32 oz bottle of mtg a rest, after a few uses....
has anyone else gave thier mtg a rest?
I sorta got tired of it running everywhere....
the smell of it on a regular basis
my edges miss it, but keeping up so many other hair routines, i needed a break,
plus all that hair manipulation/parting to apply was too many steps....
sigh.....

Last edited:
Cantina72, what were your results?

Catina72 said:
I used MTG on a regular basis from June thru Sept but I have since stopped. I got a little lazy with the parting and applying to the scalp. I think I will try again in the Spring and Summer months too.

Back