MOST GROWTH OBTAINED

What method do girls think is best method for maximum hair growth and lenght retentio

• sew in weave

Votes: 180 16.7%
  • weekly shampoos with deep conditioning

Votes: 329 30.6%
  • weekly shampoow w/ deep conditioning and cowashes daily or every other day

Votes: 262 24.4%
  • braids

Votes: 278 25.9%
  • dominican blowouts

Votes: 26 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tallnomad

I voted sew-ins. I wore these some years ago and my hair grew so fast. I've just started doing this again, and the last weave I took out almost two weeks ago--well, in a little over a month, I had so much growth. I wet my weave and own hair daily and did oil/conditioner rinses and had a lot of new growth. The stylist who was weaving it up again told me that my hair really grew with that weave. I don't know how many inches (I'm bad a numbers :look:) but, I could pull the growth far enough from my scalp--at least a inch and a half, plus I'm taking lots of good vitamins, carrot juice and raw foods, so I am sure those are all contributing factors.

Songbirdb

each time i've ever had braids or swe ins, i lost more hair and my hair thinned out some. the best thing for me was weekly washes and DC and co washing often. Also, those half wigs worked really well for me and I just threw a headband on so i didn't have to blend with my hair. i have very fine hair

Aggie

Now I had a bad experience with the sew in I had, but that was because of the way it was put in. Now that I know the proper way to put in a weave to avoid breakage, which is with vertical cornrows instead of horizontal, your hair can really thrive like this as long as you take it out every 6 weeks. My cousin did this for a few months and her hair grew at least 3-4 inches and maintained it's thickness.

The key is the vertical braids, and not leaving it in for too long.

Co-signing with RabiaElaine. I presently have a sew-in and my hair is vertically cornrowed and there is less stress on my hair with this method. I keep mine in only 5-6 weeks and I hardcore aphogee protein treat, then deep condition for 2 weeks or so before putting them in again. This is working well for me right now. I'm attempting a 6 month stretch for the first time so I need low low low manipulation.

chavascandy

I've been cornrowing my own hair and just wearing wigs over it when I get ready to go out. I have acheived alot of growth from doing this.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
weekly shampoow w/ deep conditioning and cowashes daily or every other day:yep:

I can get good growth with weaves and braids but they always feel so itchy and unnatural that i take them out after two weeks. im going to try to keep my braids in for longer though

LivingDoll

I really wanted a weave to work for me. I shelled out $250 for a "longhairin90mins" weave and I HATED IT! I hated not being able to feel my scalp, i hated not being able to shampoo and condition regularly, i just hated it. I've figured out that I just can't do braids and weaves :nono: although I wish I could. When I took the weave out (after 2 whole weeks :lachen:) my scalp was WHITE.

I voted for washing/deep conditioning but I do it every 3-4 days. I've gotten at least an inch of new growth in a month. Can't wait to see my 3 months progress pics on 5/14! :yep:

Aggie

Guess what ladies? Weaving did not work for me as well as I"d hoped it would:nono:. So I guess I'm gonna try braids next. I really missed getting to my scalp so I think the single braids with extension will be better. I'll take care of my hair using the C & G method this time. I will probably be getting it braided down after another weeks rest from the sew-in I had:yep:.

Aussie

sew ins work for me.... im in college so the constant partyin makes me have to take out my sew-ins. lol but i think the sweat makes my hair thrive too. when im at home durin breaks i dont get much growth... but when im doin my work and partyin my life away my hair thrives not sure if this sounds ludacris but it works...... the longest sew in i had was 5 months. took out the tracks in 3 months and redid the tracks but left the cornrows. lmao... not sure wat i was thinkin... it was natural hair at that time. i dont think i would ever do this with my relaxed hair. the longest is 2 months now. dats about 8 weeks. (pix in fotki):drunk:

trendsetta25

I didn't read everyone's response so if i'm repeating some forgive me...You should also look into half wigs....if you dont want to style your hair. i love them because when you get home from work or school you can take it right off and let your hair breathe....plus the synthetics are like $20!!!!:grin:

J-Moe

Personally I love sew-ins!! But I understand that they don't work for all, I do keep them in for about 10-12 weeks which may seem a bit extreme but it has been working for me. As long as I tighten b4 I wash its all good. I hope this helps, I think its personal preference what ever you will be more dedicated to. HAPPY GROWING!!!!

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
For me it is a combo of things. I have braids but I shampoo w/ DC weekly (sundays) I also DC on Wed. and I cowash Tues and Thurs. I need to keep as much moisture in my hair as possible being that I am a relaxed head that also has some perm color (from May) in there.
This is the way I get the most retention. Oh I havent relaxed since Sept and using MT and OCT so you know its a jungle in there. I may not relax til Dec '09 if not transition. I am leaving my hair to rest and do what it needs to do.

kimmy89

i would say a combination of things, my hair was extremely healthy after having my braids with weekly deep conditions and cowashes every otherday, my hair grew but i was most impressed by the thickness when i took the braids down.
i tried the sew-in but was unable to care for my hair aswell under it in comparison with the braids. with this i saw length but my hair strands became thin, which i why im back to braids. HTH

IndianAngel22

I know what you mean about being "scared" of your own hair. I wore extensions for years. I was getting MAXIMUM growth every month, but the growth was not showing up on my head. In all reality I think it was doing me worse because after the matting, I thought I was having regular shedding but really, my hair was thinning each time, and I'd have to get a trim. IF you look at my siggy the first was my starting point and the 3rd was my last sew in. Not much retention after 5 months. I am about to use clip-in extensions and I really suggest you check them out. You can put them in and out every day in about 10 minutes, they still have length, they are much healthier, and they allow you to take your hair out and condition every week without the matting. I believe my hair will begin to flourish with this. If I like them I may not get a sew in for a REALLY long time, only a temporary glue in for photo shoots. The glue does not hurt my hair I'm very good at taking care of it and taking it out properly. Please take a look into these sew in extensions. You can buy your own or you can make some by buying snap clips from Sally's. They come 3 in a pack and there's plenty of youtube instructions on how to do it. Do a search for them on this forum too. I know the sew ins are beautiful but I was in denial because I was so used to seeing all the growth from my scalp that I thought it was helping but really it wasn't. For some people they can but if your hair is anything like mine, it probably just makes it thinner and doesn't help like you expect it to. Everyone's hair can't take weaves the same.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I voted weekly shampoos and DC although I am moving away from shampoo so much any more and now only use it when I need to clarify or when I feel like I have alot of product buildup.

I find that using cond instead of poo and DC with heat is working out much better for my hair. My Heat source for my DC is either my Heat Cap or my Steamer. My hair has been responding pretty well.

ekomba

HEYYYYYY MY BELOVED LADIES OF LHCFperming every 3 to 4 months (extending retouch time), scalp massages with oil (castor oil or wgho), mtg and grease on the ends, marinating in mtg, very low manipulation meaning shampoo/cond only every 3 weeks!!!! and sometimes more... Protective styles buns. and popping 2 pills NATURE MADE SUPER B COMPLEX et VITOL HAIR NAILS SKIN time released. my goal waist by the end of the year hopefully...LETS GROOOOOOOOOO

UPDATE LAST SUNDAY I PERMED MY HAIR with Mizani and colored with black at Elia Hairsalon. AFTER MY LAST PERM OF FEBRUARY 8. perm day was april 25 pix taken april 26,09

URL=http://public.fotki.com/ekomba/operation-waist-08-/ekstar017yessssss.html]

that s funny i observe more growth now that i extend perm times, extend shampoo and cond times, do less of course hehe the marinating continues hahahhaha i ve become so lazyyyyyyyyyyy and it works more i guess:lachen::grin::nono: and the pix in my siggie is a week later may 2 when i undid my hair to get it ready for the MTG hihihi LETS GROOOWWWW

ETA: I NOTICED ONE THING MY RIGHT SIDE GROWS WAY FASTER THAN MY LEFT SIDE???????

Last edited:

beans4reezy

I voted braids. Simply because I do not have to manipulate my hair and I can wet them everyday if I want to. Ironically, it is easier to keep my hair moist in braids than without.

TyHill21

I am new and was thinking about getting braids until my hair grows out to where I can wear a bun....... How do you keep the braids moisturized? do you still co wash and pre poo???

TLC1020

Weekly shampoo and deep condition w/heat :grin:
Protective style 99% of the time :grin:
Moisturize daily :grin:
Touch-up minimum 12 weeks :grin:

Carmelella

Now I had a bad experience with the sew in I had, but that was because of the way it was put in. Now that I know the proper way to put in a weave to avoid breakage, which is with vertical cornrows instead of horizontal, your hair can really thrive like this as long as you take it out every 6 weeks. My cousin did this for a few months and her hair grew at least 3-4 inches and maintained it's thickness.

The key is the vertical braids, and not leaving it in for too long.

I agree. 3 months is waayy too long to have a sew in. I would max out at 6-8 weeks topps.. 8 pushing it. It sucks because sometimes they are so expensive, but with this method I've had no problems with retention and i've only had to worry about combing out wet two-textured hair once every six weeks although i wash the sew in in between.