How to keep your new growth form getting matted under a weave?

Blue_Berry

Ladies, do you know any tips for keeping your hair from getting matted under a sew in? I want to get a weave to achieve length and retain length too. I am going to use my growth aids while I have my sew-in. I don't want my new growth getting matted up in there.:nono:

Ediese has a tutorial on taking care of your hair under a weave. I saw it before when I was lurking so do a search and it should come up.

The key to this is 2 things. It is usually recommended to keep your weave in for 6-8 weeks max. So, your hair will not have time to mat. Also, another major thing is to keep your hair underneath moisturized. The easiest way to do this is to spray your braids in between tracks with a braid spray every once in a while.

Make sure that when you take your sew-in down you detangle thoroughly and remove all the shedded hair before you wash to avoid any take-down disasters lol.

*I found that thread by Ediese, excellent weave info!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=298353&highlight=ediese+weave

I've never had my new growth matt under a weave. Even after keeping it in for 12 weeks. I didn't do anything special to prevent it but I've never had it happen either.

S curl activator is the key. Lift your tracks and spray as best you can onto your scalp. When you finally take your hair down it will be VERY moisturized and your new growth will be MUCH softer and easier to comb.

Last edited:
Thank you, I heard a lot of good things about s-curl. I will try it out along with my glycerin spray mix with water.

S curl activator is the key. Lift your tracks and spray as best you can onto your scalp. When you finally take your hair down it will be VERY moisturized and your new growth will be MUCH softer and easier to comb.

Will S curl under a weave leave your hair with an odor? I am looking for a moisture solution that will not leave my hair with a foul odor.

Back