Moisturizing Hair while in Yarn Braids?

JustKiya

So, in the next couple of weeks, I'm seriously considering putting my hair up in yarn braids. Right now my hair is in flattwists all week long, and I mist & baggy it every night - my hair loves and NEEDS that level of water-based moisture. My hair is mostly dry by the time I get to work in the morning, and totally dry by the afternoon - so it's not like my hair/scalp is constantly wet

I've been thinking about how to handle that with yarn braids - will that much moisture cause them to slip/mold/get fuzzy/tangle with my hair?

I've never had yarn braids before - always used Kanakelon, and I have no CLUE what the care/moisture level is for them.

Help, ladies? Can I get yarn braids and get them moist every day without negatively impacting them?

Thanks!

mscocoface

My understanding is they should hold up just like synthetic hair. The main thing is to get yarn that is synthetic and does not contain wool. Wool will dry out the hair.

From those folks that I have researched with yarn braids they used commercial products or homemade products and there has been no issues.

JustKiya

Sweet - I have all acrylic yarn because I heard that the wool dried your hair out.
Hmm... maybe wool dries it out because the natural fibers wick up the moisture?

wonderfull!!!