Yarn braids, and Yarn twists!

ZkittyKurls

:hiya:Hey guys!! i wanted to show off my new do! Its yarn braids!! But also i want to see pics from other ladies that have had yarn braids or twists as well...past and present!! I noticed that there were a few others that said that they were getting yarn braids or yarn twists so this can be a nice place to showcase them! I always enjoy seeing different pics of these hairstyles in particular espcially because they look so natural!!:lick:

So come on in and join the club! Lets see those pics!:pop:

Attachments

• DSCN5887.jpg
    DSCN5887.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCN5895.jpg
    DSCN5895.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCN5901.jpg
    DSCN5901.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 360

WyrdWay

Good job, I keep tossing around the idea of getting some.

How long do you plan to keep them in?

ZkittyKurls

WyrdWay 8 weeks exactly!! I needed a break from the "thought" of having to do my hair every other week so 2 months will give me the much needed break that i deserve. :)

WyrdWay

ZkittyKurls I wish I could do my hair once every two weeks :D I work in a hot sweaty factory and often have to work in front of fans that just turn me into a frizz ball before my first break v__v I can't wait for the cooler months.

ZkittyKurls

From a distance they look like dreads. I know my twists look like dreads, anybody have pics of yarn twists?

well i know there are youtube vids of some yarn twists. i would like to master the technique where u twist the yarn into ur hair starting from root to tip but i can never get them to stay tight. :(

ZkittyKurls

WyrdWay, i feel u, thats y i needed a style that will allow me to still look decent when i sweat and dont have to worry about my hair every second the environment changes.

kandiekj100

2nd set of yarn braids.

I've done a set of yarn twists also, but I don't seem to have any pictures of those.

Attachments

• yarn braid-bun.jpg
    yarn braid-bun.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 182
  • yarn braid-knots.jpg
    yarn braid-knots.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 196

ZkittyKurls

2nd set of yarn braids.

I've done a set of yarn twists also, but I don't seem to have any pictures of those.

kandiekj100 They look so nice!! I tried to do mines where the parts where bigger so i wouldnt have as many but it didnt seem to work. I have very thick hair and it just didnt do me any good.

how long did it take you to finish them?

It took me 17 hours the first time i did them and 17 hours again this time around...over the course of 2 days.

3 hours one day, 13 hours the next and one hour the next. i burnt the ends the following day when i had time

but also, i think the next time i install them i may not burn the ends and just tie a knot instead.

ZkittyKurls

also, just a suggestion...you ever notice when you finish them they look bulky and kinda wavy? in order to get them to look more sleek and straight, i rinsed them under warm water and let them air dry throughout the day. the weight of the water encourages the braids/twists to hang straighter for some reason. :)

ZkittyKurls

has anyone curled their yarn braids/twists before? i want to try it once they start lookin shabby around say week 6 out of the 8 weeks i plan to keep them in.

i see on youtube ppl either use boiling water or setting lotion...personally i would want to use setting lotion only because i want to curl the whole braid and not just the bottom and i am certainly not going to put my OWN hair in boiling water!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i did a set this summer, but didn't take many pictures.
warning to anyone interested in yarn braids: the takedown is BRUTAL!!
seriously, man. i don't have the patience for that ****.

but yarn twists, i may consider. does anybody have any pics of those?

ZkittyKurls

Rocky91 i remember the takedown was serious. but what i like to do is take them out a little at a time. I would start with the back, the work my way up to the middle, still leaving the perimeter out and it would probably take me a total of 8 hours over the course of 2 days. I look forward to the take down because i usually cant wait to see the new growth! lol

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
^^see you're way more patient than me. i got all impatient and started cutting, probably cut off more than a bit of my own hair, lol.

ZkittyKurls

i feel you though, thats why sometimes i start taking random braids down like a week before i know their coming out and then i just twist them and hide them in the braids because i usually try to get a head start lol!!

ZkittyKurls

This is how i wore my hair today! Ive been watching youtube vids from MsVcharles and she has some good tutorials on yarn braid styling!

Attachments

• 2011-08-08 15.13.20.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 115
  • 2011-08-08 15.14.33.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 2011-08-08 15.11.56.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 86

ZkittyKurls

Heres another one, dunno if its a duplicate or not..oh well:look:

Attachments

• 2011-08-08 15.14.51.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 73

kandiekj100

@kandiekj100 They look so nice!! I tried to do mines where the parts where bigger so i wouldnt have as many but it didnt seem to work. I have very thick hair and it just didnt do me any good.

how long did it take you to finish them?

It took me 17 hours the first time i did them and 17 hours again this time around...over the course of 2 days.

3 hours one day, 13 hours the next and one hour the next. i burnt the ends the following day when i had time

but also, i think the next time i install them i may not burn the ends and just tie a knot instead.

I am by no means a master braider, so even doing the bigger sections on my no-density-having hair, it took me 3 days at about 3-4 hours for days 1 and 2 and like 1 1/2 hours on day 3. I started at the front and wore a beanie to work the next day. Those things are a Godsend when you are having a not so great hair day.

That last set lasted me a little over 2 weeks. I have the toughest time keeping styles in my hair. And my scalp was on fire, so I had to get rid of them (and did a henna to get my scalp back in check). The takedown wasn't that bad. It took about 4 hours while watching tv. I used a lot of oil.

blackbarbie986

Here are a couple looks I did with my braids. Got them in January and kept them for almost 2 months. Loved them but it took forever to put them in and just as long to take them out.

LongLeggedLife

Dont have any good pics anymore:/

Yes I have curled them, curled with pipe cleaners, dipped in boiling water. Took forever to dry though, but I only wear super long braids, so there was alot to dry. Sorry no pics of the curled ends:(

mjphair

Your yarn braids look lovely. I myself haven't tried them myself, only kinky twists. I think I wanna try the yarn braids tho. I know tkj25 loves yarn braids and his are awesome as well. Hope he comes in here and posts a pic cause he is such motivation