Moisturize then Seal -- with Serum?

inthepink

This is probably a weird question but I need help understanding how this works.
Say I moisturize my ends at night with a water-based moisturizer. In order to seal it in, I use a serum. Great. Now, it's the next night. I moisturize my ends with a water-based moisturizer....but is the moisture reaching my hair or is it not b/c the serum blocked out the possibility of reaching my hair?? I'm confused. If I used oil instead of serum, my guess is that by the next day, the oil has faded some and I can actually reach my hair to moisturize it. With serum, does the same thing happen? I hope I'm making sense! I just don't want to use serum thinking I'm sealing in moisture and then subsequently block out moisture! (The reason I'd like to use serum is b/c it's less greasy.)

Neroli

Hairlove, if the serum has insoluable 'cones, I think moisture is sealed out after that first application. This is why I use serums very very sparingly. I know some folks hair thrives on 'cones, my doesn't.

I make my own "erum by using water-soluable "dimethicone copoyol", castor oil, 100% panthenol and other oils (order the pure, 100% ingredients from www.ingredientstodiefor.com for unbelievably inexpensive prices) and I just mix them up in my hand, a few drops of this, a dap of that and use to seal so the next day, I can mosturize with confidence that its not just gonna sit on top of my hair.

Regards,
Neroli

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I would use an oil instead of a serum because like you said, the oil would have faded by the next day while the cone probably wouldn't. The reason why I think this is because the only way to remove cones is to clarify so the cone is probably sitting on your hair blocking out moisture.

inthepink

Thank You guys! I will go with using an oil instead.
Now this brings up another question. When I flatiron my hair, should I not use a serum for this same reason? I was thinking I could double protect my hair by using IC Heat Protectant and then using a spray heat protectant as I flatiron. If I use a serum to flatiron, am I blocking out future moisture, too? Or b/c I'm adding heat, am I breaking it down to accept moisture?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
hairlove said:
Thank You guys! I will go with using an oil instead.
Now this brings up another question. When I flatiron my hair, should I not use a serum for this same reason? I was thinking I could double protect my hair by using IC Heat Protectant and then using a spray heat protectant as I flatiron. If I use a serum to flatiron, am I blocking out future moisture, too? Or b/c I'm adding heat, am I breaking it down to accept moisture?
That's a good question. I never even thought of that because I use Fantasia IC serum as a heat protectant as well. I have never noticed a problem with moisturizing after I flat iron though. Maybe someone else will have a better answer.

HoneyDew

I was concerned about this and posed a question a week or so ago. i am concerned about my mosturizers reaching withthe cones I use. On wash days i am fine because I apply moisture 1st, but on the subsequent days, I feel my moisturizers are not reaching. because of this, deep conditions and leave-ins are a must or my hair would surely dry out.

I have also been lookeing into other options, like moisturizing protectants that contain cones for heat protection.

LovelyZ

HoneyDew said:
I have also been lookeing into other options, like moisturizing protectants that contain cones for heat protection.

Honeydew, have you found any products that might potentially work?

HoneyDew

LovelyZ said:
Honeydew, have you found any products that might potentially work?

Break-thru straighting cream, So Smooth straightening cream and the FHI Hot Sauce.

I am not sure which one I like the best. I love the FHI Hot Sauce, but hate the price. The other 2 are pretty good though. None of them make my hair feel too heavy or coated.

inthepink

Another question along the lines of this topic...
If use a product like Profectiv Healthy Ends, do I still need to seal it with oil?

HoneyDew

None of the ones I use do. They seem to do weel to seal, but they prevent me from doing my daily moisturizing. :ohwell:

I am justing using a little silicone (after a moisturizing leave in) for flat ironing and just daily moisturizing while sealing with coconut oil.

Isis

Ar010 said:
could be a silly question...but is it possible that some silicones have moisturizing agents in them too?
It's a very good question. The Aveda Brilliant serum I use is very moisturizing. My hair feels moisturized and soft everytime I use it and there's no build-up.

Isis

hairlove said:
Another question along the lines of this topic...
If use a product like Profectiv Healthy Ends, do I still need to seal it with oil?
If I run out of my usual Constant Care for Ends, I'll use my Healthy Ends. Although the first ingredient is water, there is no need to seal it with oil since it has oil in it. It's designed to be used alone on the ends.:)