So if i want to flat iron my hair the safest way....?

Lilmama1011

I should go with a ceramic flatiron? And I won't blow dry my hair so no extra heat and what else. I was thinking to use a serum only or should I moisturize and then seal with a serum and just make sure my hair isn't damp from moisturizing and then flat iron?

Mjon912

Don't forget a heat protecting spray... I normally do small sections on a low setting, go over my roots once or twice and very lightly down the length of my hair once

Evolving78

i do it on air dried hair now, i use the lowest heat setting that will get my hair straight. depending on how good your dc is, you can just use a heat protectant, or use a leave-in, not a moisturizer. you don't want your hair to be weighed down with product.

Kimlyb

What's a good heat protectant? I was reading up on redken smooth down heat protectant undecided . Please help.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

H0tPinkButtafly

silk elements is good. I used carols daughter heat protectant spray last time I flat ironed and it left a tacky feeling on my hands and on my hair at first.

LongLeggedLife

How do you all get your hair straight enough to do a comb-chase without blowdrying??
Id like to skip that step too, but id be losing all types of hair trying to get sleek results if i did.

Nonie

I should go with a ceramic flatiron? And I won't blow dry my hair so no extra heat and what else. I was thinking to use a serum only or should I moisturize and then seal with a serum and just make sure my hair isn't damp from moisturizing and then flat iron?

Lilmama1011, I wouldn't (@ the bold). Your moisture should come from DCing. I believe if you use anything that isn't a heat protectant and then flat iron, you will burn that product and create that horrible smell. Also that product will make the protectant not adhere well to your hair and thus put you at risk of exposing it to damage from the heat. I believe this will also make your hair revert if exposed to humidity since the "moisturizer" got in the way of the protectant working well.

I never use anything but heat protectants on my hair when I flat iron and my results last all week ie until wash day and my hair reverts fully as soon as I shampoo.

I suggest you follow WestNDNBeauty's method.

Nonie

How do you all get your hair straight enough to do a comb-chase without blowdrying??
Id like to skip that step too, but id be losing all types of hair trying to get sleek results if i did.

LongLeggedLife, you can braid it and let it airdry.

This is how my hair looks when I wash it:

You can see blow you how it looks if I airdry in braids (no product):

Or you can use Curlformers and airdry like I did:

If I were one who uses the comb-chasing method, I'd opt for braids coz they give me "straighter" hair. The thing is, I haven't ever used the comb-chasing method when doing my own hair. I simply part a narrow section of my hair, stretch it out with one hand while the flat iron in my other hand clamps the base then while still stretching the hair with one hand, I slide the iron all the way up letting go the ends of my hair from the other hand as the iron gets closer.

And I get it this straight w/o using the comb-chasing method:

ManeStreet

I dont like to skip the blowdry. I airdry until 75% dry then blowdry then flatiron. If I airdry all the way dry then I cant get the wave out with 1 or 2 passes or low heat.

sckri23

I have a steam straightener. When I was bone straight, I used one squirt of leave in and one squirt of heat protectant on my hand and rubbed it through a big section of my hair. Then I parted the smaller sections and I went over my hair once. Now that my ng and texlaxed hair is taking over I have to use pressing oil and cantu serum too.

Lilmama1011

Nonie said:
Lilmama1011, I wouldn't (@ the bold). Your moisture should come from DCing. I believe if you use anything that isn't a heat protectant and then flat iron, you will burn that product and create that horrible smell. Also that product will make the protectant not adhere well to your hair and thus put you at risk of exposing it to damage from the heat. I believe this will also make your hair revert if exposed to humidity since the "moisturizer" got in the way of the protectant working well.

I never use anything but heat protectants on my hair when I flat iron and my results last all week ie until wash day and my hair reverts fully as soon as I shampoo.

I suggest you follow WestNDNBeauty's method.

So after flat ironing the hair the only thing you should put on your hair is serum, no moisturizer because it will revert your flat ironed hair?

Nonie

So after flat ironing the hair the only thing you should put on your hair is serum, no moisturizer because it will revert your flat ironed hair?

@Lilmama1011, the serum is the heat protectant. I put it on my hair before I flat iron. I actually use two protectants. Because I like to use the wet-to-dry method (whereby I flat iron wet hair first (one pass) and then apply serum and pass iron over it a second time), I used a WET heat protectant (a spray) for the first iron pass. Then I applied a heat protectant serum and passed the iron over my hair a second time. I do not apply anything after that. The serum I applied before passing the iron is the last thing I have on my hair and it seals it.

A serum seals your hair so it makes no sense to apply a moisturizer over it. It won't get to your hair if you applied your serum properly. (I apply serum to narrow sections just before I pass the iron so I can be sure my hair is well coated. The idea is to ensure every inch of your hair is protected not to be heavy handed with it.)

Please mention me Lilmama1011 if you ask me a question. I don't always return to threads I posted in, especially if they move onto other pages so your question would've gone unanswered.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I airdry in braids 1st then finger detangle. I then use a defuser brush to do my comb chaser. The pic in my avatar is the result