Questions About Hair Serums

ChynaDoll.K

Today I just bought organix coconut milk anti-breakage serum,I used it to seal my ends and I loved the way it made my hair feel. So my questions are....
1. Its it ok to use serum to seal ends and are there any benefits to using serum instead of oil?
2.What ingredients does a serum have to have for it to be a heat protectant?
3.Can using serum to seal have any negative effects?

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
No clue. I've sometimes used serum to seal. NTM healing serum. And really liked. I guess the issue of the cones come into play vs. using an oil. To make it a heat protectant-well I would think it has to say it provides thermal protection. Not sure if the Organix does.

Neith

1. Its it ok to use serum to seal ends and are there any benefits to using serum instead of oil?

Yep, it's okay to seal with serum.

Some serums may be thicker than most oils and have more staying power. Some people's hair doesn't like oils and serum is a good alternative for them.

2.What ingredients does a serum have to have for it to be a heat protectant?

Silicones are the main ingredients usually. It's also good to have protein in them.

3.Can using serum to seal have any negative effects?

They can build up over time if you don't use a shampoo strong enough to remove them every so often. Different cones take different strengths of shampoo to remove. If you clarify periodically, shouldn't be too much of a problem. It can work out well, but just be aware! :)

Beaute Noire

I use serums to seal my ends twice a week or when needed. I wash and flatiron weekly so using an oil to seal my ends would be way too heavy...I don't like the greasy straight hair look :nono:, so the serums keep it light and bouncy and I can use it all over my hair, not just the ends.

My favs are :
Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum
Organix Soft & Silky Vanilla Silk-Silk Serum
Chi Silk Infusion
This One: http://www.cantusheasoft.com/products-sh-super-shine-hair-silk.htm
and This: http://www.johnfrieda.com/products/product_detail.asp?productLine=frizz_ease&pid=94

All of them obviously contain cones and I think they all contain protein but my hair loves it :drunk:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
You do want to Purchase A Heat Protectant whether it be in a Spritz, Spray or Serum if you are using Heat.

The Serum will give you additional "Shine" Seal in Moisture etc.....

As Far as Heat Protectant, If in a Serum, it should say so directly on the Label.:yep:

PPGbubbles

Bumping 4 more responses.... for OP and me! I am curious to see how ladies are using serums. I have only used them when straightening

Your Cheeziness

I use serum to seal when I set my hair (rollerset, etc) or use any kind of heat styling. I use oil to seal when I airdry.

For me it's just a matter of preference. Serum makes it easier to detangle when I'm doing alot of wet maniuplation like rollersetting. And when I heat style, I don't want oil weighing my hair down so I use a dime to nickel sized amount of serum.