Micro ring hair extensions

topsyturvy86

Hi,

Have any of you ladies tried micro ring extensions?

In my quest to find manageable extensions for my transition, i'm considering this.

Please let me know your thoughts on it and how it goes with black hair.

Thanks.

glamazon386

My stylist does them on his white clients. I personally didn't like the way they looked. He said he doesn't recommend them for AA hair. He said he makes his decisions based on the hair texture, length and health/condition of the hair. For most of his AA clients, he prefers to braid and sew to protect the hair.

ETA: Another thing, IIRC it was quite expensive. The clients never had a full head though. It was more like a partial just to add some length at the bottom. I didn't notice it until after he washed their hair and began to blowdry it. It looked fine styled but it looked quite odd when it was wet.

Last edited:

Nonie

OP, I don't know how this is supposed to help you transition. Your own hair is still out with its mixed textures that you need to learn to deal with, except now you have all this extra hair in the way. Sounds like jumping out the pan into the fire to me.

To me they're just better for adding length to someone with short hair who wants a different look, but I think they would work better if the textures match the hair. Eg like someone relaxed who has a bob wanting extensions so they can have long straight, swanging hair; or someone with a curly bob getting big bouncy hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki9d5GVNyKo

They are just like the clip-on extension IMO only they're held on by a ring. Your hair is loose which means tangles, et cetera will still be a problem. IMO, braiding is way better than this.

topsyturvy86

^^ I guess you're right ... I've just got to a point where i'm really sick of my hair and looking for something that'll look nice and sustainable. I'm 9 months post and finding something that looks nice is difficult! - Difficult being a HUGE understatement! *sigh*

hothair

I've done this a couple of times lasting from two to four months. It's great, lets me get as much access as I want to my hair. I actually did it while I was natural so had to straighten every week. I think it would be great on relaxed hair. My hair grew with no problems. I put it on myself and took it off-I used Brazilian hair tipped extensions, its less work than braiding your own hair.

topsyturvy86

I've done this a couple of times lasting from two to four months. It's great, lets me get as much access as I want to my hair. I actually did it while I was natural so had to straighten every week. I think it would be great on relaxed hair. My hair grew with no problems. I put it on myself and took it off-I used Brazilian hair tipped extensions, its less work than braiding your own hair.

Thanks for the feedback hothair.

Did you get any breakage with the extensions rubbing on your own hair? and also was washing fairly easy? / did you have to take it off as you applied it yourself

hothair

It works out, the hair is re-usable, and my friends keep theirs in up to 6 months (I'm too paranoid). Some even do their touch ups with the rings in.

ETA: Just seeing the bit about breakage. Nope it was like doing pick and drop braids (the one that they just braid the roots and leave the ends free). Like I said I washed and DC-ed, and flat ironed weekly with no problems, a few may come lose but nothing noticeable. Also it was very very easy to take off. Literally lost absolutely no hair from it. It really is a great method and probably the only extension I would use now if I decide to wear them. Just care for your hair the way you would normally. Unless they're using very bad uality hair you shouldn't have any problems blending

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

I did not have micro ring extensions but fusion extension aka strand by strand extensions. It's the same concept but instead of tiny rings all over yur head, there are tiny dots of glue all over your head. My stylist used bulk hair, not pre-tipped hair, since I wanted a specific texture, Spanish Wavy, that I had already been using for a while. I kept them in for 12 weeks at a time with regular salon maintenance every 2 weeks.

The hair is not reusable as with the micro rings.

I would not recommend that kind of extension for transition though. Your own hair is 100% out with this kind of extension so your own hair texture must blend easily.

Hi,

Have any of you ladies tried micro ring extensions?

In my quest to find manageable extensions for my transition, i'm considering this.

Please let me know your thoughts on it and how it goes with black hair.

Thanks.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I did not have micro ring extensions but fusion extension aka strand by strand extensions. It's the same concept but instead of tiny rings all over yur head, there are tiny dots of glue all over your head. My stylist used bulk hair, not pre-tipped hair, since I wanted a specific texture, Spanish Wavy, that I had already been using for a while. I kept them in for 12 weeks at a time with regular salon maintenance every 2 weeks.

The hair is not reusable as with the micro rings.

I would not recommend that kind of extension for transition though. Your own hair is 100% out with this kind of extension so your own hair texture must blend easily.

And that's what looks odd in the pictures from the website with the ring extensions. They are using textures nothing like the hair that needs to blend.

Guitarhero

You can have wefts of hair put in using a few microrings to hold them into place. Hair does need to blend well. There are other extensions using cold fusion and stickers. If you want to protect your hair, I'd suggest braiding to give all of your hair a rest. Otherwise, if your texture is going to match the extension, then other techniques are great.