Micro braids.

Vinyl

Hi everyone. :) I've been wearing extensions for the past few months, and I miss the versatility of wearing non-sewed in hair. I want to get micro braids. I've read numerous threads on them, and the general consensus seems to be against getting them. Is it safe to wear micro braids without extensions? I wasn't sure if the wear and tear on the hairline only happened with the pull of extensions, or something like that.

(As you can see, I'm a braid newbie. Used to wear them all the time when I was younger, but that was my parents doing. :) )

Also, is there a thread that gives advice on how to care for braids sans extensions? I found one but I think it was made for extensions, because it mentioned diluting the shampoo and such. Should I just follow those instructions, only using everything at full strength?

Yah.... sorry for the long post there. :)

ajoyfuljoy

I must admit that I don't know. I'd be curious to see how you seal the ends without the weave.

You said "Yah"

Do you know Polish people? I'm not trying to be silly but seriously though. I know a lot of Polish people and that's how they say "Yes", they be like "Yah" all the time.

klb120475

I must admit that I don't know. I'd be curious to see how you seal the ends without the weave.

You said "Yah"

Do you know Polish people? I'm not trying to be silly but seriously though. I know a lot of Polish people and that's how they say "Yes", they be like "Yah" all the time.

I see you ajoyfuljoy...............:grin:

jasmine26

I just put braids in my hair w/o extensions. This is my first time using my own hair, so i can't offer too much advice on how to care for them yet. I'm thinking i'll just wash them normally in 2 weeks and put some type of leave in daily. I like my braids curly, so I dampen the ends at night and sleep on satin rollers. So far so good. I don't foresee me getting any damage since their not too small, not tight, and i'm using my own hair.

hth,jasmine!

Nonie

Micros w/o extensions to me are no different from just wearing twists. I'd treat them the way I would treat my hair out of braids. But then again, your idea of micros might be different from mine. Jasmine's braids seem to be about the size my twists were and I could've worn them forever without any problems.

I believe the biggest problems with micros comes from people making very small sections and then adding extra weight by using extensions to that small space so that it's forced to bear more strain than is natural. And then using products so much that their hair knots up and breaks when you're trying to undo.

Single braids w/o extensions means your head is bearing the very same weight of hair it would bear if your hair wasn't braided so I don't see how this can be damaging.