MHM Hangout

faithVA

Whose bagging to get 2nd day hair?

The last time I did gel and tried to spritz t the next day, my hair turned into a rock :cry: This time I'm going to try to baggy overnight to see if I can maintain this style. Fortunately tomorrow's Friday so there won't be too many people in the office in case my hair looks bad.:look:

GGsKin

The last time I did gel and tried to spritz t the next day, my hair turned into a rock :cry: This time I'm going to try to baggy overnight to see if I can maintain this style. Fortunately tomorrow's Friday so there won't be too many people in the office in case my hair looks bad.:look:

I baggy for second day. I've done it in a puff and loose. My hair tends to get very moist/wet overnight when baggying so when I take it off in the morning, my coils aren't smooshed or tangled and dry. This baggying really comes in handy:yep:

Ajna

I just finished making an order with New Directions Aromatics. I ordered 4 different types of clay:

French Green
French Pink
Australian Midnight Black
Rhassoul

I can't wait for mine to come. I'll be destroying and hiding the boxes too.

I have been wanting to try the green please let us know how it works out.

faithVA

I baggy for second day. I've done it in a puff and loose. My hair tends to get very moist/wet overnight when baggying so when I take it off in the morning, my coils aren't smooshed or tangled and dry. This baggying really comes in handy:yep:

Thanks. I'm going to try it tonight. I'm a little nervous.

Ajna

The baggy method does not wok for me - my hair looks like a limp wet noodle then when it dries it is like straw.

Hopefully this will not happen to you

faithVA

The baggy method does not wok for me - my hair looks like a limp wet noodle then when it dries it is like straw.

Hopefully this will not happen to you

That is typically what happens. My hair usually dries hard and frizzed out. That's why I'm nervous.

Last edited:

Honey Bee

I have found that watering my head more often did more for my wack patch than baking soda ever could. And I am low porosity. Typically a wack patch exists when the scalp in a certain area is dehydrated. Doing the baking soda in the CLCT is ok though.
I know. :ohwell: I'm disabled, though, and currently having a bad time of it, so washing more often is out of the question right now. We do what we can, you know? :shrug:

discodumpling

MHM observation...I am low po and have found that adding aloe vera juice instead of ACV to my mixes is beneficial. For me ACV is used in my final rinse to begin the process of closing my cuticles. ACV anywhere else in my regi may lead to potential dryness or PH balancing issues.

Another observation...my curls (and therefore any indication of maximum hydration) will never be visible in any style except a wash n go. All other curls are not created equally. So while your hair may very well be hydrated and healthy, stretching and styling will eradicate any hopes of curlage. Its as if you never give the curls time to "take" or set.

I'll be trimming today. I tried to hold off for an entire year and almost made it to April without a trim. BUT after yesterdays wash I know these coloured, velcro ends are jacked and have to go. So i'll put my hair in about 12 twists and hack the ends off today. Be back with pics when all is said and done!

Happy FRIDAY!!!

AJellyCake

Whose bagging to get 2nd day hair? The last time I did gel and tried to spritz t the next day, my hair turned into a rock :cry: This time I'm going to try to baggy overnight to see if I can maintain this style. Fortunately tomorrow's Friday so there won't be too many people in the office in case my hair looks bad.:look:
Baggying overnight has worked well for me since I've been doing MHM. I NEED to remember to do it more often.

For me, I just spray a few times with water and put my hair in a loose, low bun. Then baggy. Then scarf over usually to keep it from sliding off.
My hair is nice and soft in the morning and softer than it would be as the day wears on.

faithVA

[USER=149048 said:
Honey Bee[/USER];21172221]I know. :ohwell: I'm disabled, though, and currently having a bad time of it, so washing more often is out of the question right now. We do what we can, you know? :shrug:

Yes we can only do what we can do. Just keep the area as moist as you can and maybe baggy more if you can. Then just add the baking soda to the clct when you do it. Just using mud on the scalp once a week will help in the long run.

faithVA

Baggying overnight has worked well for me since I've been doing MHM. I NEED to remember to do it more often.

For me, I just spray a few times with water and put my hair in a loose, low bun. Then baggy. Then scarf over usually to keep it from sliding off.
My hair is nice and soft in the morning and softer than it would be as the day wears on.

Baggying last night went well. My scalp didn't bother me and my hair was just damp this morning. It was sticky though with the gel :blush: It was pliable enough to put it into a puff. Its still drying so I will see how it feels when it dries. So far things are working out. If it dries without tangling then I have a winner.

faithVA

The more it dries the less definition I have. I just pray that I make it through the end of the day. I have a feeling to wear a wng I will need to do the regimen every other day. Spritzing won't be enough.

So here's my puff.

ForumRunner_20150227_103515.jpg

Ajna

Can we talk glycerin and the MHM approved ingredients. I have noticed that a great deal of my old DC's and leave in's have vegetable glycerin in them or sometimes just good old glycerin.

So the question I had was is there a difference between vegetable glycerin and regular glycerin.

The second question is if memory serves the DC can have glycerin but not at the top 5 because you rinse it out but not the leave in...is that right?

Also I was wondering if any of the Qhemet products are on the approved list? I am thinking of using the Morninga Tree conditioning ghee as my leave in - the ingredients are amla extract, brahmi extract, nettle leaf, burdock root, avena sativa extract, coconut oil, behentrimonium methosulfate and ceteyl alcohol, PPG 3 benzyl ether myristate (I think this is a shine-enhancing emollient - seems like a new thing but most call it safe). moringa oil, and MSM

discodumpling

Baggying for 2nd day hair is not an option for me. It makes my hair frizzy and does not reactivate the gel. It's as if the gel absorbs into my strands. Baggying for deep treatments works though! So far at this length (NL) with this MHM regimen, I just tie my hair down and refluff in the morning it's good enough for 2-3 days which is ideally when I want to add moisture anyway.

faithVA

Can we talk glycerin and the MHM approved ingredients. I have noticed that a great deal of my old DC's and leave in's have vegetable glycerin in them or sometimes just good old glycerin.

So the question I had was is there a difference between vegetable glycerin and regular glycerin.

The second question is if memory serves the DC can have glycerin but not at the top 5 because you rinse it out but not the leave in...is that right?

Also I was wondering if any of the Qhemet products are on the approved list? I am thinking of using the Morninga Tree conditioning ghee as my leave in - the ingredients are amla extract, brahmi extract, nettle leaf, burdock root, avena sativa extract, coconut oil, behentrimonium methosulfate and ceteyl alcohol, PPG 3 benzyl ether myristate (I think this is a shine-enhancing emollient - seems like a new thing but most call it safe). moringa oil, and MSM

The difference between vegetable glycerin and regular glycerin is the source. Regular glycerin is either synthetic or from animals or a blend.

And yes, the DC can have glycerin because you are going to rinse it out and use the clay after. It shouldn't be in your leave-in.

I haven't seen any of the Qhemet products on the approved list but there isn't anyone updating the list any more so many of the products that we use may never end up there even if they are acceptable. I'm bad with analyzing ingredients so can't help you much with the last question.

Ajna

The difference between vegetable glycerin and regular glycerin is the source. Regular glycerin is either synthetic or from animals or a blend.

And yes, the DC can have glycerin because you are going to rinse it out and use the clay after. It shouldn't be in your leave-in.

I haven't seen any of the Qhemet products on the approved list but there isn't anyone updating the list any more so many of the products that we use may never end up there even if they are acceptable. I'm bad with analyzing ingredients so can't help you much with the last question.

Thanks for that!
Um I think I asked the wrong question about glycerin - I think what I want to know is do they react differently?

Here is what I mean glycerin is on the no list because it pulls moisture out of hair cortex in dry conditions (aka winter) and in the past I used to have a no glycerin rule in winter because this is true for my hair. But in summer when the there is lots of humidity my hair absorbs the humidity and my hair looks fuller. So now I am wondering if vegetable glycerin behaves differently?

Does that make sense?

faithVA

Thanks for that!
Um I think I asked the wrong question about glycerin - I think what I want to know is do they react differently?

Here is what I mean glycerin is on the no list because it pulls moisture out of hair cortex in dry conditions (aka winter) and in the past I used to have a no glycerin rule in winter because this is true for my hair. But in summer when the there is lots of humidity my hair absorbs the humidity and my hair looks fuller. So now I am wondering if vegetable glycerin behaves differently?

Does that make sense?

As far as I know they act the same. So even if you use vegetable glycerin you don't want to use it in the winter. I have used both and have never noticed them acting differently.

faithVA

Butters N Bars is having a sale today only for 20% off. Code is DIY2015

I'm going to get some more rhassoul.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14

Yaaaaay my haul is finally here. My hair is sooooooo thirsty!! After I destroy all the packing material and evidence of this purchase from my DH i'm off to MHM!

What products are these? I can't see!:nono::ohwell:

faithVA

OK I made it through one day with a wng. Resetting or not it wasn't going to make it through another day. I did another clay wash and then used the beautiful curls gel to get rid of it. I had my h Mir girl definition with the clay step than I've ever had before. It didn't last but at least I got to enjoy it for a little bit.

I need a safe style for the weekend so I'm going to do my flat twist perm rod combo.

GGsKin

I just bought some. That pieces thing confused me too but I bought 2lbs of bentonite, and 1lb of rhassoul.

To add to that, I didn't realise my recent purchase of clay was actually sodium bentonite clay lol. I hadn't intended to try it but oh well. I put some on tonight, and I must say I did notice more definition as I was applying. I can't be bothered to finish tonight, as I was doing hair earlier, so I will sleep in it and complete things in the morning.
I am knackered:yawn:

aharri23

OK I made it through one day with a wng. Resetting or not it wasn't going to make it through another day. I did another clay wash and then used the beautiful curls gel to get rid of it. I had my h Mir girl definition with the clay step than I've ever had before. It didn't last but at least I got to enjoy it for a little bit.

I need a safe style for the weekend so I'm going to do my flat twist perm rod combo.

Are you still trying dee's method? I like her method but I'm having conditioner withdrawal lol. I think there is a lot more experimenting to do for low porosity heads.

I do understand where she's coming from though, if you're applying conditioner in step 1, 2 and 4. That's a bit much for LP hair. I want to experiment with trying

1. baking soda/conditioner 15-30 min
2. clay wash
3. gel

My reasoning is that the baking soda/conditioner will condition the hair slightly and you can also detangle. The clay step will get rid of the excess conditioner residue and define the curls before the gel step.

hairtimes5

Just wondering...is it possible that I've damaged my hair by using baking soda unnecessarily and that's why my hair is not responding well to clay? I say that because I was thinking earlier how I used to use bentonite on one of my daughter's hair a few yrs back and atleast on two, maybe more, occasions I used it with great results (it was mixed with just acv). When I started MHM the first time back in June or July, I was not having any problems with clay. Bentonite was drying so I switched to rhassoul, which was going well. In December I started using Terresentials with again great results. I was even sleeping in it. Probably around January is when I noticed that my hair felt awful after the clay step so I switched back to rhassoul since Terresentials is made with bentonite. I would use acv occasionally for step 1 during this time but for the most part I was using bs. The last 2 washes with bs or castile had my hair feeling like straw so I stopped those. It just dawned on me though that I was not having problems with clay at first so could this possibly be the case?

faithVA

Are you still trying dee's method? I like her method but I'm having conditioner withdrawal lol. I think there is a lot more experimenting to do for low porosity heads.

I do understand where she's coming from though, if you're applying conditioner in step 1, 2 and 4. That's a bit much for LP hair. I want to experiment with trying

1. baking soda/conditioner 15-30 min
2. clay wash
3. gel

My reasoning is that the baking soda/conditioner will condition the hair slightly and you can also detangle. The clay step will get rid of the excess conditioner residue and define the curls before the gel step.

aharri23

I am but this is just my second time. I did the clarify, clct, clay and gel yesterday. Today its the first time I'm doing the clay and gel. So far I like this better. I am low porosity as well. Tonight I rinsed out the gel and worked the clay through and detangled with the clay.

I had major definition with the clay step which I don't usually have. I'm still waiting on holding onto that definition when I rinse.

I'm going to stick with it probably through March to really test it out and compare to the original. I will definitely keep you posted.

faithVA

Just wondering...is it possible that I've damaged my hair by using baking soda unnecessarily and that's why my hair is not responding well to clay? I say that because I was thinking earlier how I used to use bentonite on one of my daughter's hair a few yrs back and atleast on two, maybe more, occasions I used it with great results (it was mixed with just acv). When I started MHM the first time back in June or July, I was not having any problems with clay. Bentonite was drying so I switched to rhassoul, which was going well. In December I started using Terresentials with again great results. I was even sleeping in it. Probably around January is when I noticed that my hair felt awful after the clay step so I switched back to rhassoul since Terresentials is made with bentonite. I would use acv occasionally for step 1 during this time but for the most part I was using bs. The last 2 washes with bs or castile had my hair feeling like straw so I stopped those. It just dawned on me though that I was not having problems with clay at first so could this possibly be the case?

hairtimes5, I don't think that you damaged it but I think you lifted your cuticles too much. When is the last time you did a clct? You may want to do one to reset.