MHM Hangout

Smiley79

For low porosity I hear that warming up products help. So even if you don't use s blow dryer just use warm water, moisture and condish. I warm my stuff up now and put a shower cap on for a couple of mins. But, my hair is short. I'm sure when it gets longer I'll be singing another tune

I absolutely love warming up conditioner before applying it to my hair; it makes such a positive difference in how my hair receives it and my hiar feels so soft afterwards.

faithVA

Thanks faithVA

After all that I have learned with this method, the funniest thing happned yesterday...I was watching one of my favorite Natural YT vloggers, known for her successful hair journey, her love for gels and wash and go's and her use of conditioner only, never uses shampoo. I started to see her videos from a different viewpoint now and thought to myself, wow, she never has to remove the buildup of her gel and products like the way we do with this method. It makes me really realize how natural hair is truly an individual experience and differs from person to person. (I hope this makes sense)

It does make sense. I really was trying to get people to understand that from the intro post. Some heads even in this thread really should just be doing the regular curly girl method or some other wash n go method. Everyone can do the MHM if they choose but this really is a specialized regimen for people who can't do the basic curly girl method.

However, if doing this regimen helps them figure out the best regimen for them then I guess the thread is helpful.

Honey Bee

Thanks @faithVA

After all that I have learned with this method, the funniest thing happned yesterday...I was watching one of my favorite Natural YT vloggers, known for her successful hair journey, her love for gels and wash and go's and her use of conditioner only, never uses shampoo. I started to see her videos from a different viewpoint now and thought to myself, wow, she never has to remove the buildup of her gel and products like the way we do with this method. It makes me really realize how natural hair is truly an individual experience and differs from person to person. (I hope this makes sense)

You know... I thought that too, and then I went back 50 vids or so :lol: and saw where the two I'm thinking of did a clay treatment or some such. They said it like it was a special treat, so, while I couldn't say they use it as regularly, I can probably assume they used it more than just once. Idk, but your thought did occur to me. :yep:

Smiley79

It does make sense. I really was trying to get people to understand that from the intro post. Some heads even in this thread really should just be doing the regular curly girl method or some other wash n go method. Everyone can do the MHM if they choose but this really is a specialized regimen for people who can't do the basic curly girl method.

However, if doing this regimen helps them figure out the best regimen for them then I guess the thread is helpful.

Exactly, and I appreciate that this hangout thread that you started has really helped this method as a guide or a foundation that needs to be tailored to suit our individual hair needs. In my case, the MHM literally removed the block that my hair had against receiving moisture. That was the easy part; the challenge is coming up with a regimen that that will allow me to to maintain that moisture on a regular basis without the need for the 5 steps of the MHM. As complicated the MHM is and has been for me, it has surprisingly made me more determined to simplify my hair regimen as much as possible by finding what works for me and being consistent with it.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
When I spritz my hair it makes mine dry too. I wonder if its because I'm low po the water doesn't penetrate my strands but evaporates quickly. I read somewhere about adding a little heat so now I spritz with a conditioner and water mix and I use the blow dryer on the warm setting for about a minute or two and it seems to work.

I thought that was the issue, this makes so much sense. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

HopefulOne

I agree with you, I just want to make the point that for some people as their hair gets longer it starts to really tangle. I am a 3c APL who had a real problem with tangles until this method. I am not sure which part of it made the difference but I don't have tangles anymore. Maybe everyone won't get tangles as their hair gets longer but if you do, IMHO, this is a great method to use regardless of hair type.

aharri23

Couple of questions if someone doesn't mind answering...

- ACV/BS isn't cleaning my hair like it used to, I get these little white balls for step 2 when I apply my conditioner in the front section of my hair, how can I prevent this?
- I get flakes whenever I use ANY type of gel (not a lot, but it does get annoying sometimes) does anyone know how to reduce flaking or is it something that just comes with using gel?

I've gotten really bored/frustrated with my hair recently. I've been doing the MHM about 9 months and I don't think I've reached max hydration but at the same time my hair isn't progressing either. I dread wash days because there are so many steps. The bentonite clay is extremely messy. I plan to try rhassoul clay soon and see if that will make a difference as far as maintaining moisture. It's like I spend 2 hours cleaning my hair just to put more products in that will make it dirty. Ok end rant..

faithVA

I agree with you, I just want to make the point that for some people as their hair gets longer it starts to really tangle. I am a 3c APL who had a real problem with tangles until this method. I am not sure which part of it made the difference but I don't have tangles anymore. Maybe everyone won't get tangles as their hair gets longer but if you do, IMHO, this is a great method to use regardless of hair type.

I am good with people being here for different reasons. I'm sure there is a polite and correct way to say what I'm about to say but its the end of the day and I don't feel like it :lol: My only concern is having too many people in the thread that have modified the method so much it really isn't the method anymore. I really want this to remain as much as possible a thread for those that really need the method. That has not happened yet but it it does concern me. It's early in the year. We will see how things turn out. I really need the method and I would like to have a place where I can come and learn from others. If this becomes like a lot of the wng threads, it really won't be of much use to me.

faithVA

- ACV/BS isn't cleaning my hair like it used to, I get these little white balls for step 2 when I apply my conditioner in the front section of my hair, how can I prevent this?
- I get flakes whenever I use ANY type of gel (not a lot, but it does get annoying sometimes) does anyone know how to reduce flaking or is it something that just comes with using gel?

I've gotten really bored/frustrated with my hair recently. I've been doing the MHM about 9 months and I don't think I've reached max hydration but at the same time my hair isn't progressing either. I dread wash days because there are so many steps. The bentonite clay is extremely messy. I plan to try rhassoul clay soon and see if that will make a difference as far as maintaining moisture. It's like I spend 2 hours cleaning my hair just to put more products in that will make it dirty. Ok end rant..

Did you ever add the water into your BS mix?

Why not try buffering a shampoo, do 3 oz of conditioner with 1 tbsp of shampoo or castille soap and see if that cleanses better. You don't leave it on, you just shampoo with it. Or you can try doing a really diluted clay rinse for step 1. Don't leave it on and just wash your hair with it.

Definitely try the rhassoul. Maybe the bentonite is drying your hair out.

I don't know much about gel. MsDeeKay says if its flaking then you are using too much. But I'm just repeating what she said.

HopefulOne

I am good with people being here for different reasons. I'm sure there is a polite and correct way to say what I'm about to say but its the end of the day and I don't feel like it :lol: My only concern is having too many people in the thread that have modified the method so much it really isn't the method anymore. I really want this to remain as much as possible a thread for those that really need the method. That has not happened yet but it it does concern me. It's early in the year. We will see how things turn out. I really need the method and I would like to have a place where I can come and learn from others. If this becomes like a lot of the wng threads, it really won't be of much use to me.

I think I understand. The only modification I make to the regimen is leaving the clay on overnight and I want to learn to do it better.

faithVA

I think I understand. The only modification I make to the regimen is leaving the clay on overnight and I want to learn to do it better.

Don't mind me. I'm just being over protective for no reason. I will get over it :yep: The closer I get to hydration the less I will probably care :look: I'm probably just anxious because I still have a ways to go.

trebell

I'm thinking I have tried that but it has been a while. I will have to try it again. I've done so many things over the years I eventually just gave up. I just don't wet my hair between washes.

I really don't either. I think this may be why I haven't reach max hydration. I like to keep a style for at least a week because I have very fine strands.

faithVA

I really don't either. I think this may be why I haven't reach max hydration. I like to keep a style for at least a week because I have very fine strands.

I understand. I was doing the same thing until January. I was wearing my flat twist 4 and 5 days. I just recently starting doing the regimen every 3 days January 2nd. I am noticing a difference but its too early to say definitively.

I have a feeling that going too long between washes before your hair is hydrated won't work, because you are losing water in the strands faster than you are putting it into the strand.

Say for instance a strand can hold 100 drops of water (yes, I'm making that up). And when I started the regimen I had about 20 drops of water in my strands. Let's say each time I wash I put 20 drops of water into my strand which brings me up to 40. But if I lose 5 drops a day, then in 4 days I've lost the 20 drops I added on wash day, so the next time I wash I'm just getting back to where I started. However, if I washed on the 3rd day, I would have only lost 15 drops, leaving me with 25 drops. With each wash I could add another 5 drops eventually getting my hair to 100 drops.

That's just how I'm thinking it works :look:

Last edited:

aharri23

Did you ever add the water into your BS mix?

Why not try buffering a shampoo, do 3 oz of conditioner with 1 tbsp of shampoo or castille soap and see if that cleanses better. You don't leave it on, you just shampoo with it. Or you can try doing a really diluted clay rinse for step 1. Don't leave it on and just wash your hair with it.

Definitely try the rhassoul. Maybe the bentonite is drying your hair out.

I don't know much about gel. MsDeeKay says if its flaking then you are using too much. But I'm just repeating what she said.

I appreciate your help.

I think im going back to CG method, and I will clarify on a as needed basis with either ACV/BS or Clay. I want my hair to be fun again..

aharri23

You got to do what's good for you! This method isn't for everybody.

Most definitely, the thing is I did the regimen for 9 months consistently but I don't feel like I'm progressing anymore. I will try to maintain my level of hydration though. The main thing is that I stay away from bad products and I should be good no matter what regimen I'm on.

GGsKin

Clarified with ACV, cayenne pepper and water as per the bald spot regimen (and to give BS a short break). DCed with a plastic bag/hot towel/shower cap/ plastic bag combo lol for 1hr 30mins. The conditioner really sunk in- I'm putting it down to the hot towel. Currently sitting with a mix of bentonite, rhassoul, honey, cayenne pepper and a splash of ACV. Instead of using warmed water to mix, I used hot water from my shower filter head. I am noticing more definition with the clay on. Its 23.40 and I must be crazy:spinning: but I'll give it 20 more mins then wash it out. Right now I'm looking forward to a week of washing. We will see how I feel by the end of the week:look:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Well I'm doing the regimen as it is because I haven't found any real reasons yet to change up. I am insisting on reaching MH by early Spring...

..the only thing I need to know which I can't seem to find the answer to is, how often can I complete the regimen? Can it be done daily? If yes, what's a safe clarify regimen as I'm sure BS isn't?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Well I'm doing the regimen as it is because I haven't found any real reasons yet to change up. I am insisting on reaching MH by early Spring...

..the only thing I need to know which I can't seem to find the answer to is, how often can I complete the regimen? Can it be done daily? If yes, what's a safe clarify regimen as I'm sure BS isn't?

If you got the time to do it everyday, you are my shero!:yep::lol:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I returned that Jane Carter curls stuff today so i can stay on track. I wanted to return the Deva Curl Trial pack but couldn't get myself to do it, my hair looked and smelled so good afterwards so I figured I can use it only special days once I reach MH.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
If you got the time to do it everyday, you are my shero!:yep::lol:

I have a REALLY small TWA so its very easy and yeah I have the time, Lol! I'm pretty much a sahm but I'm a Realtor that currently only works when I have referrals so I don't always have clients. Thanking God for lockboxes! I guess I'm your shero, lol

Cattypus1

All loced up...
^I'm with you. My old regimen called for clay once a month or so, but using it so often isn't doing great things for my hair-it actually feels like my moisture levels have to "recover" from that step. I'm dropping it for a while.
What kind of clay are you using? I had the same issue what I was using bentonite. When I switched to Rhassoul, no more dryness.

Duchess007

What kind of clay are you using? I had the same issue what I was using bentonite. When I switched to Rhassoul, no more dryness.

You called it.

I'm currently using bentonite, but I have rhassoul in the stash. Next time I do the clay step, I'll be using that.

deborah11

Thank you deborah11 what are you using to DC ?

I use the naturelle hair grow deep conditioners recommended by Faithva and I love them! I plan on using those for the next year to see how my hair progresses without using several different lines. It's hard to know what is or is not working when you use too many different things.

hairtimes5

I could be wrong but I think flaking just comes with gel sometimes. My hair flakes with Hello Curly but the flakes are very small and not noticeable at all. I just happen to see them when I'm scrunching my hair (and I use very little gel btw). In one of Aketafitgirl's more recent videos someone was asking if she still got flaking with KCCC and she said she does but it doesn't bother her.

hairtimes5

Don't mind me. I'm just being over protective for no reason. I will get over it :yep: The closer I get to hydration the less I will probably care :look: I'm probably just anxious because I still have a ways to go.

This is so me so I totally understand. OT, but I hate when I'm reading reviews for a recipe and a person says, I switched this for that, added a tsp instead of a tbs, left out the whatever, etc., etc. What? THAT IS NOT THE RECIPE THEN!!! Yes I did just scream, that's how much that irks me. So I get it. If you've tweaked it so much that it's not MHM anymore, then maybe you should rethink participating in the MHM hangout.

faithVA

This is so me so I totally understand. OT, but I hate when I'm reading reviews for a recipe and a person says, I switched this for that, added a tsp instead of a tbs, left out the whatever, etc., etc. What? THAT IS NOT THE RECIPE THEN!!! Yes I did just scream, that's how much that irks me. So I get it. If you've tweaked it so much that it's not MHM anymore, then maybe you should rethink participating in the MHM hangout.

Your supposed to be calming me down :lol

I've already woosahed. That rant was just from too much Monday, a long day at work and no snow day in sight :sad: and I'm probably obsessing over my hair too much.

We are all good in this thread. We have great people in here.

aharri23

I could be wrong but I think flaking just comes with gel sometimes. My hair flakes with Hello Curly but the flakes are very small and not noticeable at all. I just happen to see them when I'm scrunching my hair (and I use very little gel btw). In one of Aketafitgirl's more recent videos someone was asking if she still got flaking with KCCC and she said she does but it doesn't bother her.

I also am using the original UFD curly magic and it is flaking a bit. I thought maybe the flaking was dandruff from my hair not getting 100% clean, but it is good to know that it isn't something I'm doing wrong. I guess the gel comes with a price.

I really need to try some Rhassoul! Waiting for my refund check this week.

I think at the end of the day, the MHM is a very broad regimen kind of like the CG Method. The CG Method has a couple of core principles, but everyone modifies it to their liking. The same thing with MHM. Who cares if someone modifies their clay recipe or leaves it on overnight. That's nitpicking way to much. The MHM is basically a wash and go reggie with gentle clarifiers (clay, acv, BS) and thats all.