MHM Hangout

GGsKin

In this past month, how often do you think you have conditioned, DC'ed? I have to find the balance too, because when I tried it last, my hair just declumped and was too soft, but I'm not at your level of definition. I will keep listening to my hair.

This is my sixth week of doing DubaiDee's modified method. I've only used conditioner once (and that was this week Monday, after a 'long' (5day lol) stint of no washing/ rinsing.

I didn't notice if my hair was more or less defined during/ after use but it did feel soft (if a little coated).

I am going to use a protein conditioner tonight (maybe selected areas) and see how that goes. I think I'll follow up with @tashboog's conditioner recipe, give or take an oil.

faithVA

I mix the B&B rhassoul with the Aztec but I always use more rhassoul. The last time I added a little whole milk, EVO , ACV and water. I measure by sight. I didn't find it much different than when I mix the same without the milk. I make my clay yogurt consistency and I can detangle with it.

There isn't any reason you should have a set back trying the modified regimen 1x. Giving yourself something else to compare to may actually help.

nycutiepie

Let's see. In the back, she goes across, like ear to ear, instead of down- crown to nape. I imagine on the sides maybe she goes front to back? I think the point is to make it perpendicular to how you want it to lay, instead of parallel (lol- sounding like a Math teacher). For me, I would make my flat twists (if I did them) lay exactly like I want my hair to be to reduce volume but she goes against the grain.

How does front to nape work for you? Do you get good volume that way?

"make it perpendicular" This sounds like she's on to something.

I think I'm going to try it like that which is horizontal/ear to ear. When I do it front to nape it's not horrible, but it's not good. I don't wear my hair out (I'm wigging it) but I do these styles at home. I wore my hair out this weekend and the problem with fine/low density hair is the fact that you have to fluff, flip, jump up and down, stand on your head :lachen::lachen:and do the most to make it look fuller (I'm obviously exaggerating but you get the point).

GGsKin

I just bought some bentonite clay. I purchased some from Vitamin shoppe last month but its been on back order forever. I canceled that order and will just get it from BNB in the future. I will just use the Sodium Bentonite until it gets here.

Isn't the bentonite clay from Butters n Bars, sodium bentonite? I noticed when I bought some last time. I went back on the site to check the ingredients, and both options say sodium bentonite.

Last edited:

GGsKin

"make it perpendicular" This sounds like she's on to something.

I think I'm going to try it like that which is horizontal/ear to ear. When I do it front to nape it's not horrible, but it's not good. I don't wear my hair out (I'm wigging it) but I do these styles at home. I wore my hair out this weekend and the problem with fine/low density hair is the fact that you have to fluff, flip, jump up and down, stand on your head :lachen::lachen:and do the most to make it look fuller (I'm obviously exaggerating but you get the point).

I live the struggle with you:lol:. Anytime I've tried one, I've had to fluff and separate so much that I had to ask myself, what was the point?

faithVA

Idn't the bentonite clay from Butters n Bars, sodium bentonite? I noticed when I bought some last time. I went back on the site to check the ingredients, and both options say sodium bentonite.

Thank you for catching that. That's interesting that they sell Sodium Bentonite so cheaply. I will contact her to see what she says and see if I can cancel my order if it is Sodium Bentonite. Don't need any more of that.

nycutiepie

I know you weren't asking me, but I've also been doing the modified method for about a month or so. I think my hair does better without it on a regular basis, however I still think it may be necessary to really DC or use a proper protein conditioner.

I incorporated conditioner before the clay step. I feel that conditioner builds up easily on my hair so the clay helps keep things in check- just how I'm thinking at the moment, although nothing is set in stone.

Anyone can reply to anything in here because we're all sharing and I really appreciate a reply from you. You are an MHM OG :yep:

When you incorporate the DC, you're basically just removing Step 1. I'm sold on the modified and I'm doing it tonight.

GGsKin

Anyone can reply to anything in here because we're all sharing and I really appreciate a reply from you. You are an MHM OG :yep:

When you incorporate the DC, you're basically just removing Step 1. I'm sold on the modified and I'm doing it tonight.

:blush: Thank you for the compliment (and the OG status lol).

Yep when I DCd, I did so on dirty hair. I applied my conditioner, let that sit and then washed it out. I would've moved on to the clay step and then gel but there was a bit of build up- I added oils to my DC. Coupled with what was already on my dirty hair/ scalp, it was a recipe for a mess):spinning:.

So I shampood with a little sulfate free shampoo (Ouidad Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil), then moved on to clay and gel.

GGsKin

That's interesting all of the sodium bentonite I have seen is $10+ where the calcium bentonite runs about $5 to $7 like the aztec brand.

Wow, over here its seems like it's the other way around with the sites I've found lol. I can't find aztec on the ground and prices on Amazon get ridiculous (anywhere from £13-30) for a 2lb tub.

faithVA

Wow, over here its seems like it's the other way around with the sites I've found lol. I can't find aztec on the ground and prices on Amazon get ridiculous (anywhere from £13-30) for a 2lb tub.

That is interesting. Now that you mention DubaiDee did say that clay was expensive outside of the US. She and I had a conversation about rosewater. She was recommending using some large amount of rosewater in my clay mix. I told her that was too expensive. Rosewater where I am is just ridiculous. Where she is rosewater is very inexpensive.

GGsKin

That is interesting. Now that you mention DubaiDee did say that clay was expensive outside of the US. She and I had a conversation about rosewater. She was recommending using some large amount of rosewater in my clay mix. I told her that was too expensive. Rosewater where I am is just ridiculous. Where she is rosewater is very inexpensive.

I looked rosewater up when I read that she was using it....alas it seems hard to get hold of and expensive here too. Some trials will have to wait:lol:

GGsKin

Sitting with the DIY banana conditioner in as I type lol.

I diluted about 2oz of the Mill Creek Botanicals Jojoba conditioner to 6oz of water and applied to water rinsed hair. I probably left in in for 30mins, while I mixed up the banana conditioner. The only thing I left out was the EVOO. I took the time to pass it through a fine sieve to make sure I was left with as few 'seeds' as possible in my hair.

Washing out the protein conditioner, my hair felt good (stronger).

I will probably be up till late with my hands in my hair tonight, but it serves me right for not starting as soon as I got home (like I planned).

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Sitting with the DIY banana conditioner in as I type lol.

I diluted about 2oz of the Mill Creek Botanicals Jojoba conditioner to 6oz of water and applied to water rinsed hair. I probably left in in for 30mins, while I mixed up the banana conditioner. The only thing I left out was the EVOO. I took the time to pass it through a fine sieve to make sure I was left with as few 'seeds' as possible in my hair.

Washing out the protein conditioner, my hair felt good (stronger).

I will probably be up till late with my hands in my hair tonight, but it serves me right for not starting as soon as I got home (like I planned).
@AbsyBlvd I hope you like the banana dc as much as I do :grin:.

Ajna

Did you try iherb??
At one time their international shipping rates were quite friendly

GGsKin

Did you try iherb??
At one time their international shipping rates were quite friendly

I did but I didn't like their shipping at the time. It didn't make it cost effective. But then my regular vendor received some stock so it worked out ok.

I do like IHerb but I don't like how their shipping prices can just increase on me if I leave the screen and return.

snoop

I'm back to trying MHM again, this time dubaidee4c's modified version. One question I have is how do you keep your hair from knotting before they reach man hydration (specifically the ends)? I haven't tried protective styles and have only been doing wash and go's.

GGsKin

I'm back to trying MHM again, this time dubaidee4c's modified version. One question I have is how do you keep your hair from knotting before they reach man hydration (specifically the ends)? I haven't tried protective styles and have only been doing wash and go's.

Since I haven't been wigging it, I've been wearing wash and go's.
One thing I've noticed is I do get single strand knots, especially on my ends. Not a lot. But then I don't really go looking for them. When I feel them I cut them at the knot.

Separating my clumps as I apply my gel helps the roots not to feel matted.
As for tangles, this doesn't really happen. And if it does, I will spritz my hair with water, stretch my hair taut, holding midway and pull the ends. This unravels the tangle like magic, if not then I will separate my clumps/ strands at this point.

I just came out of a 5day puff this week and my hair wasn't knotted at all (other than the occasional SSK).

Ajna

I did but I didn't like their shipping at the time. It didn't make it cost effective. But then my regular vendor received some stock so it worked out ok.

I do like IHerb but I don't like how their shipping prices can just increase on me if I leave the screen and return.

Wow who knew thanks for telling me