Maxiglide damage! I need help!!

Misshairdiva

I have one year of hair growth down the drain!!! I have not put heat on my hair for a whole year. I asked my daughter a few weeks ago to flat iron my hair, she did with the Maxiglide and it looked nice. Then the following week I asked her to do it again when I used a different conditioner. She flat ironed it with the same Maxiglide, and I heard my hair snapping ALOT. Then I bought the Aphogee 2 min, and put that on my hair today for 5 minutes, and had her use a different flat iron, this time my hair just looked DAMAGED!! You could see where it had broken off ALOT. What do I do now? I am not cutting my hair so that is not an option.(please do not tell me to bc and start over)
What products should I put on my hair since I have alot of brakage? This really stinks because I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks and I wanted to wear my hair straight again. I feel so depressed because it took me a whole year to retain four inches of growth, now my hair looks awful. I should have stuck with the roller sets, and my hair would not be in this condition now.. plez...... HELP!!!!!

gorgeous86

Sorry this happeed :sad:. My advice would be to cowash and deep condition with moisturizing conditioners often. Moisturize and seal often as well. WEAR PROTECTIVE STYLES!! I think that you should try to hide your ends as much as possible for awhile :yep: If you must rollerset do so without heat. By the time the wedding comes around your hair should look better. I'm sure others will chime in with their advice too!!! Good Luck

LadyPaniolo

OMG, I'm so sorry this happened to you! I've gone 2.5 years without heat and was considering buying a Maxiglide this week to straighten once a week.

I wont' be doing that now...:nono:

I hope you can nurse your hair back to health....

Muse

Sorry this happened to you, I have no product advice but I'm wondering did you use heat protectant when you flat ironed? Did you put oil in your hair before doing it?<---that will fry it. I find it strange that your hair had such a drastic reaction to a couple flat ironing sessions especially since you are usually no heat. I don't think you need to cut, actually I think a lot of people are too QUICK to cut. I would just give it much TLC, no heat and as you get your regular trims or dusting(if you do) then eventually the damaged hair will be gone. I don't think anyone needs to BC unless they just don't want to deal with it.

GabbanaGirl

Sorry this happeed :sad:. My advice would be to cowash and deep condition with moisturizing conditioners often. Moisturize and seal often as well. WEAR PROTECTIVE STYLES!! I think that you should try to hide your ends as much as possible for awhile :yep: If you must rollerset do so without heat. By the time the wedding comes around your hair should look better. I'm sure others will chime in with their advice too!!! Good Luck

I agree 100% with Gorgeous. I have fought a few bouts with breakage due to heat... moisturizing, and avoiding heat were routes that got me back on track. The key is keeping the hair moisturized so that it doesn't break....if you like Aphogee, 2+1 is a product that my mom swears by (she is a licensed cosmetologist) it is like an Aphogee on steroids...lol Well, the results are at least. It is made by Sebastian, it works a lot like Aphogee, yet produces silkier results..also make sure to watch your moisture/protein balance as well. Too much protein can also aid in breakage.

Rusk Moisture is a good shampoo -
Matrix Conditioning Balm is a gooooddd conditioner
Dudley's Hair Rebuilder (an oldie but goodie, this reconstructor works great)

HTH!

Last edited:

Chevelure618

I think it was not so much the MaxiGlide but probably that you turned it up too hot. Bone strait relaxed hair should have NO MORE than 350. Anyway, ifyou have your heart set on a flat ironed look for the wedding I would wear protective styles 'til then without combing it at all. Slick it back using your favorite oil and keep this as your set style only loosening up the bun to moisturize then put it right back up again. When its time to flat iron, use a good thernal heat protectant. I like Chi Silk Infusion.

I've also tried using the flat iron on very low heat 300 and then doing a dry set with a small amount of light oil.

It might not be too late...I've saved sections of my hair when it would pop and break. It'll be OK.

Chevelure618

Sorry this happened to you, I have no product advice but I'm wondering did you use heat protectant when you flat ironed? Did you put oil in your hair before doing it?<---that will fry it. I find it strange that your hair had such a drastic reaction to a couple flat ironing sessions especially since you are usually no heat. I don't think you need to cut, actually I think a lot of people are too QUICK to cut. I would just give it much TLC, no heat and as you get your regular trims or dusting(if you do) then eventually the damaged hair will be gone. I don't think anyone needs to BC unless they just don't want to deal with it.[/quote]

ITA with this statement

naturalmanenyc

I retained 4 inches this year too and understand.

I would not cut it....but keep it hidden under a half wig for a while so it can grow out. I'm doing that now with a curly half wig so I can moisturize my hair daily without sacrificing style. Outre and Sensationnel make nice half wigs with comfortable comb attachments.

I don't think maxiglide is the problem so don't give up on heat forever. I used heat last week, twice. I use maxiglide on setting 3 for a flat iron (sabino heat protectant) and then maxiglide on 5 a few days later (sabino again). My hair was hot to the touch using setting 5. I washed yesterday (to blend my curly half wig) and I saw no damage.

blue_flower

I"m sorry this happened to you. I have a Maxiglide and I've never had problems with it. Maybe your heat setting was too high? I always keep mine on 1 and it still gets hot.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Sorry also. Make sure your daughter is using the maxiglide correctly, not only on your hair but her's too. Your hair has to really be detangled and you have to glide it over the hair, you can't press the teeth plates together like you do a standard flat iron or you will snap your ends off.

Just keep moisturizing and deep conditioning. Since you have an event coming up, start experimenting with fab updos. You don't have to have your hair down to be fly.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I had a bout with breakage (MT) and I had to kick up the moisture a few notches. Before you start chopping and worrying, don't panic. Add lots of moisture and do low maintenance until it gets back to normal. And as a rule, if I'm going to use alot of heat, I HAVE to kick up the moisture a bit too. Especially since the weather is cold and drying.

Misshairdiva

After freaking out all night, I talked to my cousin and she told me to rewash and use a deep condtioner and to use a leave in. So, I used Ors cond and fermadoyl leave in. I had my step daugther reflat iron my hair.. and its AMAZING! My ends do not look fried. Now I am confused! Could it have been that I needed more moisture in my hair and the aphogee 2 min wasn't enough?? After this week I will just co-wash, get my step daughter to flat iron before the wedding and just stick with wash n go's for the next year!!!!