Rave: Phytorelaxer and Maxiglide

beloved1

I used Phyto as a corrective on my 4a/b hair which had not been fully relaxed in 20 weeks (I tried 10 weeks but severly underprocessed it). So, with 1/2 a jar of Phyto I now have hair that is very soft, silky, thick, healthy and shiny. People at church kept touching it yesterday. I have a girl whose researching it right now!

Oh, and my Maxiglide is wonderful! After my Phyto, I airdryed in a bun, and used my Maxiglide on only 3 with some Olive Oil (coconut oil works great too) and than it looked wonderful!

With both, I've found you have to know how to use it. With my first Phyto in April, I tried to do my whole head at once with 10 weeks of 4a/b new growth, took way, way too long and came out with a head of soft, silky- underprocessed hair! With my Maxiglide I was using it upside down (oops) at first and later using too large of pieces of hair, so the pins were taking out some hair (like 20 hairs). But this last time, I relaxed in thirds and smoothed, smoothed, smoothed, and I used very small sections to flat-iron after combing through each section and the results of both together was wonderful!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've retained almost 3 healthy inches since February (not counting a 1/2" trim), I've gone from lye to Phyto and from my Gold-n-hot on 10 to my Maxiglide on 3, and my hair is loving it.

Last edited:

beloved1

sweetpeadst said:
I am glad you enjoed your experience!! I love PHYTO!!
I know you do girl, that's why I decided to give it another chance. After it came out underprocessed the first time, I was ready for some real strong lye, but I decided to see what happened if I applied it correctly and I am glad I did.

Keen

Dito on the maxiglide. I just can't stop touching my hair when I use it.

sweetpeadst

I love the maxiglide as well but i rarely use it!! Trying to keep the heat out of my regimen! I may use it every two weeks

Shatani

Keen said:
Dito on the maxiglide. I just can't stop touching my hair when I use it.
girl, you aint lyin!! my hair has NEVER been so soft!!! i really cant stop touchin mine either....

london honey

Hmm, i think im conviced with all the raves about phyto, ill have to give it a try next relaxer. I'm tryin to stretch to 16 weeks :eek: just hope i dont end up with chunks of underprocessed hair.

MonaLisa

london honey said:
Hmm, i think im conviced with all the raves about phyto, ill have to give it a try next relaxer. I'm tryin to stretch to 16 weeks :eek: just hope i dont end up with chunks of underprocessed hair.

Please make sure you comb your hair and detangle before relaxing....

MomofThreeBoys

YES! What Mona said. I didn't do this the first time I tried PHYTO and I had monster tangles. Second time I knew, and my hair came out beautifully.:grin:

MonaLisa said:
Please make sure you comb your hair and detangle before relaxing....

MonaLisa

natalied said:
YES! What Mona said. I didn't do this the first time I tried PHYTO and I had monster tangles. Second time I knew, and my hair came out beautifully.:grin:

I think, JMO, that may have happened to quite a few folks...and my poor Phyto caught it......

Survive4

beloved1 said:
I used Phyto as a corrective on my 4a/b hair which had not been fully relaxed in 20 weeks (I tried 10 weeks but severly underprocessed it). So, with 1/2 a jar of Phyto I now have hair that is very soft, silky, thick, healthy and shiny. People at church kept touching it yesterday. I have a girl whose researching it right now!

Oh, and my Maxiglide is wonderful! After my Phyto, I airdryed in a bun, and used my Maxiglide on only 3 with some Olive Oil (coconut oil works great too) and than it looked wonderful!

With both, I've found you have to know how to use it. With my first Phyto in April, I tried to do my whole head at once with 10 weeks of 4a/b new growth, took way, way too long and came out with a head of soft, silky- underprocessed hair! With my Maxiglide I was using it upside down (oops) at first and later using too large of pieces of hair, so the pins were taking out some hair (like 20 hairs). But this last time, I relaxed in thirds and smoothed, smoothed, smoothed, and I used very small sections to flat-iron after combing through each section and the results of both together was wonderful!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've retained almost 3 healthy inches since February (not counting a 1/2" trim), I've gone from lye to Phyto and from my Gold-n-hot on 10 to my Maxiglide on 3, and my hair is loving it.
Relaxing in thirds??

Sectioning into thirds and then applying??

Or doing each section seperately (apply, neutralize, etc.)??

beloved1

Survive 4, I sectioned my hair in three sections, front right, front left, and the back. I spent the whole time on each section, so I applied to one section at a time, rinsed (careful not to touch the other areas) neutralized, and went to the next section.

Thanks Mona for the tip on detangling first, I'm going for 16 weeks this time so I was wondering how that would come out. Especially since the last 8 weeks will be in cornrows.

london honey

Thanks Mona and natalied,

I will make sure i do that. I admire your phyto raves, ive read them all! lol :)

natalied said:

MonaLisa

london honey said:
Thanks Mona and natalied,

I will make sure i do that. I admire your phyto raves, ive read them all! lol :)

Okay....Good Luck with t/up time...and Happy Phytoing to you...;)

beloved1

Oh, the milky reconstructor- the first time I had no tangles. This time I washed my hair leaning over a sink (a no-no for me), piling my hair up in a tangled blob on top of my head and then I applied the reconstructor, so I knew I would have tangles doing it that way. I used my conditioner (AO Honeysuckle Rose) to gently smooth the tangles out with my hands and lost minimal hair (less than 5 strands)

MomofThreeBoys

One more think, I mixed the milky reconstructor with a moisturizing conditioner for more slip.

beloved1 said:
Oh, the milky reconstructor- the first time I had no tangles. This time I washed my hair leaning over a sink (a no-no for me), piling my hair up in a tangled blob on top of my head and then I applied the reconstructor, so I knew I would have tangles doing it that way. I used my conditioner (AO Honeysuckle Rose) to gently smooth the tangles out with my hands and lost minimal hair (less than 5 strands)

beloved1

tuffCOOKiE said:
but phyto is so expensive... Im a poor, broke college student!!! lol
Join the club:) I am a broke sahm w/ 3 children under 4. I call my regimen the "cheapies but goodies", but I splurge for my Phyto and since I will only be using it 4x a year, I'm looking at $120 for an entire year of gentle, healthy straightening. My husband is big into avoiding harsh chemicals so he agrees it's worth it- especially since my girlfriend told me she spends $120 in one relaxer trip to the salon :eek: .

divinefavor

Can the Phyto be opened and then re-used? I guess what I'm saying is it possible to get more than one touch up out of one jar? I am currently at 10 1/2 weeks post relaxer, I have fine hair as well. I have a lot of new growth will it be okay to use Index 1? Will it straighten the new growth? One last question, where can I buy Phyto?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA for your help!

MomofThreeBoys

1)Can the Phyto be opened and then re-used? I guess what I'm saying is it possible to get more than one touch up out of one jar?

Yes, you will have to mix 1/2 of the jar and 1/2 the inductor in a seperate bowl. You can get more than one touchup propably with fine hair. I had over 2 inches of new growth with my last touchup and I have medium hair and I used the entire jar.

2)I am currently at 10 1/2 weeks post relaxer, I have fine hair as well. I have a lot of new growth will it be okay to use Index 1? Will it straighten the new growth?

Index 1 is for fine hair so it should be fine. Do a search, there are a few people who use index1 on the board.

It will straighten depending on how resistant your hair is. If your hair is super resistant to relaxers, I don't think PHYTO is for you. If regular strength relaxers straighten your hair you should be fine.

3)One last question, where can I buy Phyto?

In Atlanta, you can buy it at Sephora stores. There is one at Lenox mall. Or you can get it applied at NSEYA Salon in Atlanta on Roswell Road. They charge $95 for a PHYTO application but they do a good job. www.nseyasalon.com

Or you can buy it online from www.hairboutique.com

Best wishes....

divinefavor said:
Can the Phyto be opened and then re-used? I guess what I'm saying is it possible to get more than one touch up out of one jar? I am currently at 10 1/2 weeks post relaxer, I have fine hair as well. I have a lot of new growth will it be okay to use Index 1? Will it straighten the new growth? One last question, where can I buy Phyto?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA for your help!

beloved1

Oh, last night at church, the lady asked me what did you do to your hair since last Wednesday, it has so much body- I said I relaxed it-- with a relaxer that has mostly natural ingredients, she was like, "Wow"

CurleeDST

Big question - does anyone use their other suite of products such as shampoo, conditioners, hair balms, etc. and if so, does it optimize the results?

UmSumayyah

I think CreoleinDC did. You can search for some of her Phyto-related posts. I may try the shampoo sample I got next time I wash.

Faith

CurleeDST said:
Big question - does anyone use their other suite of products such as shampoo, conditioners, hair balms, etc. and if so, does it optimize the results?
I have the intense shampoo and intense conditioner but haven't used them all together. The balm was ok..kindof left me a little dry. I prefer BB's castor oil

Mystic

I totally agree with you Beloved. I was a self relaxer of Phyto 1 for over a year but my hair was always very dry after my relaxer no matter what DCing product I used. I usually had to do 3 washes before my hair was soft. Plus, I underprocessed the back of my hair SO badly - that makes it even drier. I went to the salon recently and the hairdresser applied Index 2, my hair was bone straight and I loved it! My hair was not dry at all and this was the difference....... I never used a moisturizing shampoo after the neutralizer - I just followed what was in the phyto kit. The hairdresser told me that the neutralizer makes the hair dry because of the many washes to get the hair back to the right PH level, etc. She said it was important to use a moisturing shampoo after the neutralizer before the DC. This small step made a HUGH difference. My hair was so soft and shiny - was not dry at all - I didn't need to moisturize or wash too quickly.

beloved1 said:

Last edited: