>> Matted Hair<<

metro_qt

Can someone help me?

I had a weave, and when I took it out on saturday, my whole head has matted into a ball of hair. (I realise now it's because I washed it without a detangling shampoo-I used Daily Defence Tender Apple Shampoo which i thought would be good)

It's been 3 days now, and I've been able to comb out the front, but it's the midsection and back that i'm worried about. I feel like i'm just going to have to cut it all off.

Are there any products that can help me detangle? (so far i'm using infusium conditioner mixed with olive oil, every couple of hours, and leaving it in under a shower cap)

Eagerly Awaiting responses...

ChocoKitty

Honey on top of an instant conditioner creates excellent slip for me when my hair becomes matted. I also use Surge which minimizes breaking and shedding to. Hope this helps.

joyous

I feel your pain, it happened to me 3 years ago and although I got fantastic growth I ended up cutting off 12 inches of hair. My hair had dreaded underneath the weave because I wore it to long(11 weeks). That was before I joined the board and found out that many of the ladies use a product called Take Down when this happens. I've never used it but I think it is a product that they use to remove dreads, so if you can't find it similar products used to remove dreads may help. Wishing you the best. HTH

metro_qt

wow! thanks! you think honey will help?
mixed into the conditioner, or added on directly over the knot?

Thanks again!

metro_qt

joyous said:
I feel your pain, it happened to me 3 years ago and although I got fantastic growth I ended up cutting off 12 inches of hair. My hair had dreaded underneath the weave because I wore it to long(11 weeks). That was before I joined the board and found out that many of the ladies use a product called Take Down when this happens. I've never used it but I think it is a product that they use to remove dreads, so if you can't find it similar products used to remove dreads may help. Wishing you the best. HTH

Whoa! Take down you say....
Ok. plan of action. First, try the honey...
Then go to bss and hunt for this take down...

Thanks so much Ladies!

BrwnSugaBabee

Is it matted as in starting to dread up? Or matted as in very tangled? I had a friend who left a weave in for 3 months, her hair started to dread up. The middle section of her hair was the most matted. We used mayonaise for slip and started detangling (took about 3 hours). The mayonaise worked well..work verrryyy slowly. In some parts though we just had to cut. But taking our time with detangling really saved a LOT of her hair. I hope this helps. I am really sorry to hear that this happened to you. Believe me when I say I know what this feels like. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me!

HoneyDew

GOOD LUCK MQT!

This happened to me last year and I had to cut about 7 inches of hair. I am still trying to recoup from that.

I hope that it works out for you!!

RabiaElaine

How long did you wear this weave for?

I've only worn a weave 2 times without matting. I would use some product similiar to the one described above or some braid take down spray. At this point though it's already out, maybe you should try sitting with a conditioner that has a lot of slip in your hair for an hour or so with a cap and then slowly and gently detangle piece by piece. Use your fingers first then a wide tooth comb.

Mestiza

metro_qt said:
Can someone help me?

I had a weave, and when I took it out on saturday, my whole head has matted into a ball of hair. (I realise now it's because I washed it without a detangling shampoo-I used Daily Defence Tender Apple Shampoo which i thought would be good)

It's been 3 days now, and I've been able to comb out the front, but it's the midsection and back that i'm worried about. I feel like i'm just going to have to cut it all off.

Are there any products that can help me detangle? (so far i'm using infusium conditioner mixed with olive oil, every couple of hours, and leaving it in under a shower cap)

Oh, dear! I'm so sorry that happened to your hair. :(

Although, I've never worn a weave, when hair was a tangled mess, what helped me the most was Breakthru Shampoo, which is OUTSTANDING at detangling my hair. Herbal Essences Replenishing Conditioner for Colored/Permed/Dry/Damaged Hair (pink bottle) is excellent, also. HTH :)

Good Luck!

RabiaElaine

I don't have that much experience with weaves, but I think the key to not having the hair mat, is not leaving it in for too long. I'm going to be leaving mine in for 4 weeks max.

godsflowerrr

try "TAKE DOWN" . you should definitely try it because it really works. i saw them use it in 2004 at the bronner brothers hair show on this lady with dread locks and it acutally unlocked the hair! you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it with your own 2 eyes. she did have a some breakage while they detangled but she was wearing her locks for 10 years so i'm sure that she would. i would try take down. i had the same problem hat you had a couple of weeks ago.

ChocoKitty

metro_qt said:
wow! thanks! you think honey will help?
mixed into the conditioner, or added on directly over the knot?

Thanks again!

I pour it over the conditoner when I'm dealing matting (with extra focus on the ends). Also use your fingers, rattail combs and needles or toothpicks. Sometimes you can unravel your hair to the point where you can see where the knot forms. You can insert something in the knot to keep it from tightening up. Plus exercise a lot of patience. You may have to cut out a knot here and there.

I really hope everything works out for you.

About "Take down"... Where can you find it? Is it a spray?

metro_qt

BrwnSugaBabee said:
Is it matted as in starting to dread up? Or matted as in very tangled? I had a friend who left a weave in for 3 months, her hair started to dread up. The middle section of her hair was the most matted. We used mayonaise for slip and started detangling (took about 3 hours). The mayonaise worked well..work verrryyy slowly. In some parts though we just had to cut. But taking our time with detangling really saved a LOT of her hair. I hope this helps. I am really sorry to hear that this happened to you. Believe me when I say I know what this feels like. If you have any more questions feel free to pm me!

Hey, my hair has matted as in it's dreaded up.
I feel awful, because in spite of all the great growth I have, I may have to cut it. It matted so close to my roots that i think i'd only have an inch left of hair if i cut it... So i'm hunting down beauty supply stores right now that may carry anything that will help me.

(i'm thinking i'm going to have to pm you! thanks!)

metro_qt

godsflowerrr said:
try "TAKE DOWN" . you should definitely try it because it really works. i saw them use it in 2004 at the bronner brothers hair show on this lady with dread locks and it acutally unlocked the hair! you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it with your own 2 eyes. she did have a some breakage while they detangled but she was wearing her locks for 10 years so i'm sure that she would. i would try take down. i had the same problem hat you had a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks! i am truly searching for it... i don't know if they'd have it here in canada, but i'm calling up the beauty supply stores to see if anyone knows about it...

rosalindb

I have not used Take Down myself but I have heard good things about it. Try to get someone to help you detangle if possible.

I read that it is possible to unravel 4 year old dreadlocks - so be patient and do not rush to cut your hair

Good luck

Faith

metro_qt said:
Can someone help me?

BB Lotion, Giovanni Direct mixed with the Giovanni vitapro fusion....they will help. I had MAJOR matting/tangling about 10 days ago and I used the Giovanni (mixed) especially and I saved my hair. Lost some but not as much as I should have.. Good luck.. :(

Last edited:

glamazon386

You ladies are scaring me! :eek: I've never had any matting from weaves. The longest I've ever left one in was 12 weeks I believe. Metroqt, I hope you find the Take Down and save your hair. I'll definitely keep this product in mind should I ever run into this problem.

Avaya

I don't know if you have solved your problem yet but I would highly recommend washing your hair with a neutralizing shampoo (I use Vitale).

I wear my hair in braids (cornrows) for about 1-2 months routinely and neutralizing shampoo has been my saving grace! I actually got this from a post Plenty made a while back. It is the truf!

See, now I'm mad at myself!:mad: I was going to post my "how to prevent matting" regimen last week but my post didn't post after I submitted it and I got fustrated and didn't bother to retype my info! Here it is (I'll start a seperate post as well):

My hair severly matted about a year and a half ago. Fortunately, I went to a beautician who was able to comb out the matted section with out cutting my hair and without my hair being severely damaged (I swear, my hair takes a licking and keeps on ticking; by all that is resonable, I should be baldheaded).

I was able to create the following regimen by pieceing together advice from various sources (LHCF included).

1. Wash scalp with diluted clarifying shampoo one week before braid removal; this helps eliminate product buildup at the base of the braid - I use Nexxus Aloe Rid

2. Take out braids and comb/brush hair THOROUGHLY in order to remove tangles and dead hair that didn't have the opportunity to shed natrually while in braids

3. Load hair with conditioners and leave it in overnight - I use Lekair's Cholesterol and Creme of Natures conditioner in the bottle with the purple writing

4. Next day wash hair with Creme of Nature shampoo - I use the one with the red writing on the bottle

5. Wash hair with a neutralizing shampoo - I use Vitale's neutralizing shampoo

6. Wash hair with a moisturizing shampoo - I normally use Nexxus Therappe but I've recently discovered Kenra's moisturing shampoo and loved it

7. Deep condition - I use Kenra Emollient conditioner and sometimes I combine it with Paul Mitchell's SuperCharged

8. Acidic condition - I use Nexxus Epitome but this last time I forgot this step and my hair was still tangle free

9. Leave in conditioner - I use Infusium (the one with the turquoise writing on the bottle) and sta-sof-fro (mainly on my new growth)

10. Dry and style as usual

Hope this helps someone!:rosebud:

madamdot

Am so so sorry. This has to be very frustrating. I've had matting, though not from weaves because I dont wear. But I dont comb my hair and if I dont wash often enough there can be matting.

I've learned: Detangle under the shower/water with whatever detangling product such as conditioner. I use NTM daily conditioner or Humectress - both have lots of slip. This makes it so much easier.

Also, oils - especially thick oils such as Olive Oil and Castor Oils Contibutes to Matting so this is a big no-no. No oil on wet hair. So keep this in mind while you are working on your hair. And most of all: Be patient!

Good luck

Hi,

I don't know if you have solved your problem yet, but I just wanted to let you know that the best thing for this is some Paul Mitchell "The Detangler" and some patience. My girlfriend took her braids out two weeks ago and had several knots all over her head. She tried everything, mayo, olive oil, detangling sprays...everything. I suggested she soak her head with "The Detangler", get under the shower and start working her hands through the mess. Add more detangler as you're working until you can get your fingers through. Then use a shower comb, starting from the ends and work your way up to the roots. She lost some hair, but it was better than cutting it off.

I hope this helps. I always have a bottle of this stuff on hand.

metro_qt

HEY everyone!!!
Thank you all so much for the support.
I have made peace with myself last night, and I have decided to cut my hair.
I have an apt on Friday morning at 10 am.

Honey has not helped. (tried it yesterday at 4)
Take down? Cannot Find.... Called like 30 salons and Bss' last night... Many of them haven't even heard of it

Finally this lady at a bss told me to come in, and she would deal with my head for me. (i swear i get into the most awkward situations)

She poured this detangler called ramoni in my hair, and she then raked through my head with her bare fingers and a brush.

After all that? Yep. my hair's as good as gone.
Lol, all the while, she's marvelling at how tough my hair is, and how much it's able to stand up to... (Lady? not any more, with all those clumps of hair in your hands)

AAAAnnnyway, unless God steps down and whispers some hair secrets in my ear, or imports some TAKE DOWN from the states for me,

I am cutting all my hair off, and RELAXING it on friday morning.

Lol. (i can't even believe all this myself)

ChocoKitty

:( Aww... I sorry to hear that you have to get your hair cut. But I'm hoping that you'll get speedy growth and recovery.

Faith

metro_qt said:
HEY everyone!!!
Thank you all so much for the support.
I have made peace with myself last night, and I have decided to cut my hair.
I have an apt on Friday morning at 10 am.

Honey has not helped. (tried it yesterday at 4)
Take down? Cannot Find.... Called like 30 salons and Bss' last night... Many of them haven't even heard of it

Finally this lady at a bss told me to come in, and she would deal with my head for me. (i swear i get into the most awkward situations)

She poured this detangler called ramoni in my hair, and she then raked through my head with her bare fingers and a brush.

After all that? Yep. my hair's as good as gone.
Lol, all the while, she's marvelling at how tough my hair is, and how much it's able to stand up to... (Lady? not any more, with all those clumps of hair in your hands)

AAAAnnnyway, unless God steps down and whispers some hair secrets in my ear, or imports some TAKE DOWN from the states for me,

I am cutting all my hair off, and RELAXING it on friday morning.

Lol. (i can't even believe all this myself)
:( Sorry :(

So can you salvage anything or it's DONE?? Seriously try the Giovanni...

Miss*Tress

These braids and weaves are no joke! I've never had either and I'm not about to after reading about the risks of matting.

Metro_QT, if you're out there, I'm really sorry to hear about your setback and hope you're well on your way to recovering from it.

aprilbiz

I'm so sorry to hear that this happened to you. It happened to me too years ago with braids.

I can only suggest what another poster did and that's use Paul Mitchell's "The Detangler." I'd get a huge bottle and just work small areas.

One thing I do when detangling is comb my hair from underneath first and work through my hair.

When working on knots, I pour some detangler on an area and roll the knot around and around between my fingers. This loosens it up. I then take the comb and hold the hair close to the ends and comb the ends - underneath instead of on top, going up further and further until I can completely comb through the section.

Best of luck to you!