HELP LADIES!!!! MATTED, TANGLED, MESS!!!

shunemite

TIME. That's what you need. This happened to me once. I did a google search for "dreadlock removal" and used a toothpick (yes, a toothpick) and it took me a whole week (that's not a typo) to take out the matted mess. It's super tedious though. If you end up having to cut it, it's just hair. It'll grow back. I'm so so sorry this happened to you.

amwcah

Oh, my! This happened to me over 10 years ago when my bf at the time liked the braidout look and asked me not to comb it out.

I had a tangled mess and yes lost a bunch of hair. Sorry, to be grim, but that is what happened. I was soooo mad at him. He was on my ignore list for a couple of days because of that.

Unforturnately, I think every black women have learned this lesson once in our lives.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I've never been in this situation, but all I've got to say is that if people with dreads can take out hair then anything is possible! I'd search for the thread a while back that was about taking out dreads to see what they did. HTH

casey3035

Last edited:

Leesh

The EVOO is really helping, she's not in the clear yet but we're making progress!... I'd be lying if I didnt say I'm mad at her for listening to my grandma. She came over and saw us working and couldn't say a word! She knew she had messed up when she told my cousin not to detangle.. Cuzzo is lucky I love her! lol...

I'm having her deep condition and Humecto and EVOO under dryer right now, and then will resume the detangling

I'm soooo appreciative for all the advise. She was ready to grab the scissors before I talked her into letting me help.

I was just coming back in to see how things were going. Its Great to know that You have made progress, let us know the end results!

Nubenap22

Girl this happened to me maybe a year ago I purchased this item from a local BSS and it literally melted the knot out-like a miracle...it was crazy!
http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/isncun.html
This is what it looks like hope you can see the pic. but it's Isoplus Braids and twists unlocker...this stuff is amazing...put it directly on the knot or matted area and in seconds the matted hair is no longer matted!
http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/isncun.html

Did you do this directly after or as taking them out? How did this work for you?

Yall got me scared I'm goign to start taking out my braids in 2 days....But I didnt have many issues last time....My first time was a hot horrible wet mess....I added conditioner to each section and it just got nastier and nastier....the next time i added jojoba as i took out each and every single one.....and section by seciton id detangle then braid it into a big braid.....Hows it going so far maam?

againstallodds

A million thank yous to you all!:thankyou:

I've finished with her hair for the night. Having her deep condition with Humecto and EVOO was extremely helpful. Her hair was softer and much easier to detangle. She still had one giant knot in her crown which forever to get through. I went back to the sections I had previously detangled before washing her hair again.

As I washed I was able to run my fingers through her hair! I was sooooooooooooooooo relieved!!!!!:yep::yep: I'm so happy she didn't have to chop her hair off but her ends have suffered some damage due to breakage while taking out the knots.

After I washed I sprayed PM detangling spray all over and detangled a few more of the smaller tangles.

Aside from our success, a great plus side is that she has almost 2 inches of thick yummy new growth from her braids. I'm going to make sure she babies her hair for the rest of the week.

casey3035

Did you do this directly after or as taking them out? How did this work for you?

Yall got me scared I'm goign to start taking out my braids in 2 days....But I didnt have many issues last time....My first time was a hot horrible wet mess....I added conditioner to each section and it just got nastier and nastier....the next time i added jojoba as i took out each and every single one.....and section by seciton id detangle then braid it into a big braid.....Hows it going so far maam?
I did it days after taking them out. I kept putting conditioner in it but it was just too knotted. Everytime I rinsed my hair it got worst and worst. I got that stuff and could not believe how effective it was!

casey3035

I did it days after taking them out. I kept putting conditioner in it but it was just too knotted. Everytime I rinsed my hair it got worst and worst. I got that stuff and could not believe how effective it was!
A person would be crazy not to have this stuff handy when removing old braids...

TexturedTresses

At this point, you should use a lot of olive oil and conditioner. Use a spray bottle of water. The stream of water will help ease the knots out and will simulate detangling hair under running water. Good luck!

Shun34

I've never been in this situation before, but this may work for you: I regularly detangle my hair while it's dry (wet hair curls/shrinks) with lots of conditioner (Nature's Gate Aloe Vera) and evoo. I leave in overnight, if time permits, or sit under a hooded dryer for 20 minutes. I work in small sections using the pads of my thumbs to gently separate my hair from root to tip. If there are any knots, I remove each individual strand of hair up and away until the knot disappears.

Good luck!

naturalmanenyc

I never heard of this until now. I may have to order some. My last twist take down got scary when I used to much ACV on one section in the back. I worked on that 2 inch section for about 45 minutes and separated my hair, strand by strand. I did not lose any length but I was reminded of Ateya's experience.

http://texasbeautysupplies.com/iso21407.html

Isoplus Natural Collection Braids & Twists UNLOCKER - 6oz jar

Item #: 3930
$2.97

Isoplus Braids & Twists Unlocker
Natural Collection

Easily Removes Braids & Twists, Detangles & Conditions

6 OZ (170.1 G)

Isoplus Braids & Twists Unlocker provides excellent slip to hair for ease of braids and twists removal. Conditions, moisturizes and detangles. Loosens and lifts residue making combing easy. Helps reduce the time it takes to remove braids and twists.

Directions: Apply generous amount of Unlocker to fingertips. Using thumb and forefinger slide Unlocker on braid or twist from root to ends. Repeat. Unbraid or untwist hair beginning at the ends. Gently comb. Repeat process until all braids or twists are removed. Shampoo immediately, condition and style as desired.

BrownSkinQT

I read on another thread that rubbing alcohol can do the trick. I tried that and ORS uplifting shampoo last week while taking down my kinky twist and it works PDQ. It took me a day and a half just to unravel the braids and detangle every single little plait. I was near tears when I finished because I couldn't believe I was done. Last time I had the same kinky twists, it only took me 3 1/2 hours and I could count the hairs I lost; on top of that, no matting or build up to wrestle with. I thought this time would be the same. Heck to the no! But on the bright side I didn't have to cut and I retained my length and then the new growth.