marcel irons

longhairluva

What are the setbacks and benefits from these? I was going to buy a new flat iron but my cousin wants to give me her marcel flat iron. I would just have to buy the oven which is about $15.00. Do you think I should do it or just but a chi from Sally's.

Blackbird77

longhairluva said:
What are the setbacks and benefits from these? I was going to buy a new flat iron but my cousin wants to give me her marcel flat iron. I would just have to buy the oven which is about $15.00. Do you think I should do it or just but a chi from Sally's.

The oven is just $15.00?:eek: All the ones I've ever seen were much higher - like $100 or so.

longhairluva

Blackbird77 said:
The oven is just $15.00?:eek: All the ones I've ever seen were much higher - like $100 or so.

It's just for the oven. I don't have to buy the curlers. The oven is pretty small though.

macherieamour

I dont really care for the iron thing. They use em a lot here in philly but I think its too hot cause my hair always smells burnt afterwards. And the metal get product build up on it and stinks up the whole place.

Id opt for the flat iron.

Just my opinion tho :look:

aminata

I would opt for the chi. I would only let a professional use those marcel irons. They can be pretty damaging.--I guess if you know how to use them and are pretty comfortable then go for it.

*Frisky*

I have a few marcel irons and a stove...I like them but I really don't flat iron my hair that much anymore. Use a good heat protectant and you should be fine. Test the iron on a towel before putting it on your hair. If it turns brown the iron is still too hot. I did have my hair flat ironed a couple of weeks ago with a tourmaline iron and I hated it. My hair smelled burnt for a few days afterwards..plus my hairdresser didn't do a good job at all. Never tried the CHI..

jwhitley6

DO NOT use the marcels unless you know what you're doing. I've been pressing my own since I was 15 (16 years ago) and it's still tricky for me sometimes. You have to make sure you monitor the heat closely, otherwise you either burn your hair, or not get it as straight as you want it.

Honestly, I prefer to press my hair the old fashioned way (I use two pressing combs with the oven) and use a good electric flat iron if I want my hair flat. I only use my marcels when I want to bump the ends a little...I love my marcel curling irons, though.

Let me know if you need any pressing/flat ironing tips. I'm a pro :).

sareca

marie170 said:
I have a few marcel irons and a stove...I like them but I really don't flat iron my hair that much anymore. Use a good heat protectant and you should be fine. Test the iron on a towel before putting it on your hair. If it turns brown the iron is still too hot. I did have my hair flat ironed a couple of weeks ago with a tourmaline iron and I hated it. My hair smelled burnt for a few days afterwards..plus my hairdresser didn't do a good job at all. Never tried the CHI..

I agree.

I hate flat ironed hair (at least on me). I own 4 different flat irons including the CHI and they all make my hair feel dry. My hair loves the pressing comb. It glides tho the hair, stays straight for days, and never smells. But I always test on paper towel. Every single time I remove it from the heat I test it. Every single time! I don't assume I "know" how hot it is. I've also tested one of my flat irons and it did not pass. It slightly burned the paper towel so don't assume they are safe because they're electric.

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

I must admit that these marcel irons give great pressing results but they are damaging, as are electric flat irons if not used properly. THe thing I don't like about marcel irons is that you can't control the temperature, and as MacherieAmour mentioned it leaves your hair smelled burnt.

jwhitley6

Sereca, you are smart girl. I also test on a paper towel before putting it in my hair. Sounds like you've got it down. And I'm with you about pressing rather than flat ironing. I prefer to have body and bounce in my hair.

I wanted to add that one reason why hair smells burnt after the marcels is because the irons aren't clean....and occassionally your hair may actually be burnt. :)

macherieamour

jwhitley6 said:
I wanted to add that one reason why hair smells burnt after the marcels is because the irons aren't clean....and occassionally your hair may actually be burnt. :)

YIPES!!!!!!! My hair might be burnt!!!!! Omigosh- im freaking out now.

momi

jwhitley6 said:
DO NOT use the marcels unless you know what you're doing. I've been pressing my own since I was 15 (16 years ago) and it's still tricky for me sometimes. You have to make sure you monitor the heat closely, otherwise you either burn your hair, or not get it as straight as you want it.

Honestly, I prefer to press my hair the old fashioned way (I use two pressing combs with the oven) and use a good electric flat iron if I want my hair flat. I only use my marcels when I want to bump the ends a little...I love my marcel curling irons, though.

Let me know if you need any pressing/flat ironing tips. I'm a pro :).

I need some pressing tips - please share! When I first stopped relaxing I swore off heat for good but now..... I am ready to experiment a little.

How do you maintain a healthy head of hair and continue pressing? What is your routine? Please share!

mermaid

Blackbird77 said:
That's what I'm saying! I've NEVER seen one for less than 50 bucks- for a small one and with no irons.
You for REAL better know what you're doing and do NOT space out while pressing because that iron will take off the section of hair you were pressing with NO mercy.
I love the press you get with those; I used one for a few years until the oven finally gave out and didn't want to sport the blunt to get a new one (so started to heat the iron on the stove, like old school, lol!) and did the paper test as well; before I learned to do that I had hair come off in the iron and some get fried to a literal crisp and broke off a few days later!!

*Frisky*

I think they do a better job than the regular flat irons if you know how to use them properly and I think the size of the iron helps with getting hair straight too. I have both small and large marcel flat irons and the smaller ones work the best because I only take little sections of hair at a time. It takes longer but I am very happy with the results.

sprungonhairboards

mermaid said:
That's what I'm saying! I've NEVER seen one for less than 50 bucks- for a small one and with no irons.

Maybe they've gone up? I got a goldn'hot one maybe 5 years ago. If I remember correctly it wasn't more than $30 or $40. I was broke as a joke back then and I know I wouldn't have paid more than that. :lol:

mermaid

sprungonhairboards said:
Maybe they've gone up? I got a goldn'hot one maybe 5 years ago. If I remember correctly it wasn't more than $30 or $40. I was broke as a joke back then and I know I wouldn't have paid more than that. :lol:
Maybe they are just more affordable where you are?? My oven gave out about 4 years ago, and I had it for a couple years. They are kind of hard to get up here, mine was a Kentucky Made and those are even harder to find here; usually if I go in a BSS, they generally only have 1 or 2 available and they are almost always the God 'n Hot ovens. They just don't have a great supply here so they are pricey, I guess??:confused: