Lye Relaxer: Where Can I Buy?

filthyfresh

I'm self-relaxing in 2-3 weeks after a 6 month stretch (or letting my friend do it for me, which I'm still skeptical about, she's done it before but she might be an inside hater but that's another story:grin:) and now that I finally know the difference between lye and no-lye, I've decided to use a lye relaxer. I always wondered why the stylist would just pull out a tub of relaxer and slap it on my head & it came out awesome. But when I did the boxed relaxer and had to mix it up, it was okay, but not that great. My hair likes lye! I just have to base like crazy though because my scalp is not feeling it. LOL.

Anyways, I'm a poor college student but my Mom is so tired of my NG she's willing to pay for my relaxer. :lachen:I refuse to go to a stylist because I don't want her sabotaging my growth with those deadly scissors & I've already trimmed my ends. So where do I find a decent relaxer that I can do at home? I'm thinking about: Silk Elements, ORS, etc. Just something in a box! LOL. TIA. :yep:

*Frisky*

Silk Elements is at Sally's...ORS you might have to order online if you dont have a BBS that carries it.

poookie

i'm a poor college student too :grin:

i'd suggest hawaiian silky, if you can find it (it's an older brand). it's got botanical extracts, smells nicer than other lye relaxers, and gave me very nice results. it's cheap, too, i remember it was less than $5 at the beauty supply store.

ORS lye is great, too. it's also a thicker formula than the hawaiian silky, and thick relaxer consistency is great when you're trying to avoid overlap. it's a little more expensive, (7 - 10 dollars), but DEFINITELY worth it.

if i had to pick one, though... it'd be a tie :grin:

oh and lye relaxers don't come in boxes (as far as i know). they come in tubs, and you'll have to get the application brush (less than $2), and disposable gloves (dirt cheap as well).

well... i guess you don't NEED gloves. the first time i self relaxed, i didn't use any. but my hands felt weird and rubbery for a week...

:scratchch

ok get you some gloves, lol

Last edited:

chocolatethai

HI i just switched from motions to ORS lye it comes in a tub i really like the ORS lye i ordered it online (u can pm me for the link)and it was $8 but i think i can get like 3 or 4 aplications out of it so its more economical for me, the motions wasnt bad either and u can find that one at any BSS but i still prefer the ORS

filthyfresh

Thanks ladies! I meant to say tub, but my mind is gone on vacation since finals is coming up. I think I'm going to either choose Silk Elements or see what I can find at the BSS.