Lye, no-lye, and correction oh my!

LuLu

Ok so this is my question/situation. I'm currently using lye(last 3 touch ups), which has never gotten my hair straight, so I want to go back to no-lye, but my question is how do I correct the underprocessed hair when I change back?

Surely I can't correct a lye with no-lye...can I?

Any input is appreciated, thanks girls

BrEE

maybe you could get your stylist to smooth the lye in better. i know where youre coming from i think no lye straightens hair better than lye. but i hate the too straight look so i'm fine with my lye. and the same thing happened to me when i used lye motions and was underprocessed, it looked like i used conditioner instead. the next month i got another retouch with elucence and my hairdresser smoothed the relaxer in 3-4 times, but she did leave it in wayyy longer than she was suppose to.but back to your question i do think a no lye can get your under processed hair straight by doing a good job of smoothing it in.

webby

Think Slim
LuLu, I don't think that you can you do much to the underprocessed hair. The touch up will only be applied to new growth, as I understand it.

LuLu

Bree, I do my own relaxers...do you think a correction with no-lye would damage my hair...that's what scares me.

Or should I do the next relaxer with lye and correct it...then try no lye for the relaxer after that?

webby

Think Slim
[ QUOTE ]
cece said:
Wait, now I am confused

I thought lye was suppose to be better than no lye.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've read too. I've read that the chemicals in no-lye continue to straighten the hair and that lye is best, as the straightening process stops with the application of the neutralizer.

Someone else may be able to explain this better than I.

Isis

I use a no-lye (for many years) and I don't think it continues to straighten hair at all. The process stops after neutralizing.

LuLu

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with lye, the relaxer I have been using has left my hair underprocessed and since I wear my hair straight all the time I would rather go back to what seemed to work for me.

I left the relaxer(mizani lye) in the maximum time for coarse and resistant hair(which I know mine is not) and I still have waves, and not just a little wave...I still have tight waves.

Any advice from anyone ?

UmSumayyah

Okay Lulu.
Caveat: this is only my experience, with MY hair.
I used no-lye for years. I switched to lye thinking it would be better but all I got was underprocessed hair.
I went to JCP for a no-lye touchup, and the stylist put it on ALL of my hair (without my permission)
The last 3 or so inches of no-lye hair have been breaking, because they'd been overlapped before.
Much to my relief, however, the lye-done hair did not break. ( I would have gone from shoulder-length to 2 inches or so if it had)
HTH.

LuLu

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
Okay Lulu.
Caveat: this is only my experience, with MY hair.
I used no-lye for years. I switched to lye thinking it would be better but all I got was underprocessed hair.
I went to JCP for a no-lye touchup, and the stylist put it on ALL of my hair (without my permission)
The last 3 or so inches of no-lye hair have been breaking, because they'd been overlapped before.
Much to my relief, however, the lye-done hair did not break. ( I would have gone from shoulder-length to 2 inches or so if it had)
HTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for answering! I will try to do some more research on this.