Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013/2014

Still sticking to my routine. Dusted over the weekend. Ends are looking pretty good. Looking forward to the end of my braid challenge. 6 weeks to go.

Re: Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013

Spritzed with Frank Juice. My ends are so dry. Then sealed my ends with unpetroleum jelly and twisted up. Hopefully that helps.

Hey Y'all!

I haven't really been updating like I should be, but I wanted to do a quick update.

The Pics:

The first is of my hair at BSL with raggedy ends
The second is of my hair after a 2 to 21/2 inch cut
The third is of my hair after a light blow dry and flat iron this past weekend
The fourth is of my hair this past weekend too, but with my new length check tee.

So far so good....Wish me luck ladies :)

Attachments

• 2012-12-08_16.30.06.jpg
    2012-12-08_16.30.06.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 49
  • 2012-12-30_00.02.21-1.jpg
    2012-12-30_00.02.21-1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 2013-02-18_13.14.34-1.jpg
    2013-02-18_13.14.34-1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 45
  • 2013-02-18_13.17.16-1.jpg
    2013-02-18_13.17.16-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 48

I've been looking for this challenge.

I'm trying to have healthier ends and not have to trim so much.

I'm relaxed, almost sl. I'm going to moisturize and seal my ends nightly.

I sealed with unpetroleum last night. I may try sealing with something lighter. The unpetroleum works on wet hair after I wash but it isn't great as a midweek sealer. Greasy :nono:

I trimmed a half inch off my ends tonight and then applied my Shea butter mixture to them. I will do a HOT tomorrow and then shampoo.

My ends aren't out of the woods but they are looking better. I trimmed on the 11th. And I've made it 14 days and my ends don't look a complete mess. I can tell I still have another trim due, but the ends of my twist out look pretty good.

And I have regained all of my length since the trim on the 11th. :yay: I have been doing better with my ends. I'm still not babying them. But I am sealing them with unpetroleum on wash day. And last night I sealed my ends with cocoa butter.

I think I may start applying some diluted AO conditioner on my ends when I twist. And I think I may swap a jar of unpetroleum jelly with some type of grease my mom has in her stash.

Okay, new news: I am now making conscious effort to not style everyday-- operation lowest manipulation in effect! I wear top buns (w/cinna-twists), but this past week I was retwisting everyday-- hence the need to spritz my hair to almost dampness for daily manipulation.

Well instead, this week, I have been wearing the same style w/o taking it down (of course I remove the ouchless band as soon as I get home). I do a light version of the LCO method daily, then lowly manipulate my hair into big bun. I use extra spray and moisture at the spot where the ponytail holder will sit. I then carefully pin in place w/hair pins. I find that bobby pins are cruel to the hair- w/their sharp edges.

I will experiment w/using nylon pantyhose this week for even lower manip. I hope you all have ideas for moving a top bun around. I haven't done well this week-- but I know you're supposed to shift the bun around so it's not in same spot. Lets get these ends ladies!

My hair has been in one or two big braids for the past 2 months or so. M&S with heavy moisturizers is helping to keep my ends in good shape

My ends are feeling better. I cowashed tonight. They are still bushy but they don't have that ragged feeling they use to have and its been 2 weeks since my trim. They usually act up by now.

I sealed my hair with apricot oil/avocado oil. Then I sealed my ends with unpetroleum jelly. I need to start sealing my ends first. I need to remember that. Then I applied my leave-in and twisted up.

I still have breakage but it is less than before. I will keep babying them. I won't worry about breakage until after my next trim. Hopefully I will really reduce it by then.

So here is my latest plan :nono: I feel like I keep planning, trying and going nowhere. But I always have hope :lol:

I am going to use ION Effective Care or Giovanni Nutrafix every two weeks until I can cut these ends off. I will try to hold out and trim the first week of April, unless my ends just get too unruly. I will continue to moisturize and seal each time I touch my hair. Instead of doing twists and flat twists, I will do pincurls and bantu knots to reduce the manipulation of my hair.

I have my follow up analysis with Komaza this evening. I have a feeling I will need to trim off another inch. I will try trimming off 1/2" in April.

I had my analysis. She stated that if I do protein treatments every other week, start moisturizing daily and be gentle with my hair I should be able to turn it around. She didn't think I needed a trim if I trimmed at the beginning of the month.

However, I did my hair last night and did a wng and my ends are sticking together. So that definitely needs I need to dust 1/4" to 1/2". I will try to hold out until April and just keep moisturizing and trying to be more gentle. The protein treatments are definitely helping.

I am going to do a personal challenge for the next 30 days. I will be moisturizing daily, finger combing and putting my hair into as low a manipulation style as I can. That probably will be my switching between pin curls as my primary style and puffs as my back up style.

I will continue to cowash 1x to 2x a week and I will wash and DC weekly, using protein every other week. I will probably pick up some biotin and msm this weekend.

I will try to take starting pictures this weekend.

^^Not going to do additional pics. Nothing has really changed. Picked up the 4 Naturals product line. Will use that daily for the next 4 weeks starting on Sunday. Will make sure to seal my ends better. Will take pictures in April at the end of 4 weeks.

Used the As I Am Leave-In in the kimmaytube leave in with sunflower and avocado oil. Moisturized my hair. Spritzed my ends with water and then sealed my ends with Qhemet pomade. So this is my 2nd day of straight moisturizing.

My hair felt good today. I am curious to see if my hair feels good tomorrow.

Getting my touch up tomorrow, I think I will start keeping a pic diary of my ends so that I can see the progress. I wish I had taken a starting pic of my jacked up ends :ohwell:

Tried to moisturize my hair last night with a mix of AO Blue Chamomile, tea, filtered water and rose water. My hair isn't super dry but its crunchy. So still on the hunt for my daily moisturizer.

faithVA: Is it possible that your ends were somewhat crunchy because of the mixture of products? I find that my ends fare better with less products because too many products weigh them down. Right now, I'm using Curl Prep's Sweet Buttah and grease on my ends and it's going well so far.

faithVA: Is it possible that your ends were somewhat crunchy because of the mixture of products? I find that my ends fare better with less products because too many products weigh them down. Right now, I'm using Curl Prep's Sweet Buttah and grease on my ends and it's going well so far.

I wish that where true but no. My ends are crunchy no matter what I put on them. So far it hasn't mattered what products, what combinations or what numbers. And even though that combo seemed like a lot of products it really was just conditioner and some variation of water. The other two days this week I have used only 1 or two products and they still were crunchy. So far I just have crunchy ends which is why it was suggested I try moisturizing every day.

I took the tea blend that I already had and brewed some marshmallow tea and mixed them together. I added a tsp of vitamin e. I used that as my spritz tonight. It seemed to work better than water. Will know how it feels tomorrow.

Last edited:

I just got threw LCOB'in my hair.

I applied diluted KomazaCare Aloe My Hair Moisturizing Spritz, then the Darcy's Botanicals Shea Butter Curl Moisturizing Cream, Grapeseed Oil and buttered the last 2 to 3 inches of my hair with Silk Dreams Mocha Bling Butter :lick:.

My hair is really liking this combo. The Aloe My Hair Spritz is really nice, still not better then the Califia (My HG), but a definite second :yep:.
I'm going to be pretty bummed when the Bling Butter is gone. Def. staple, I'll pick up another jar within the next 6 or so months. I want to use up another pomade or two before repurchasing it.

As for my Wash Day "End" Care, I'm still applying the Phyto Phytokeratine Reparative End Serum to my ends after applying all of my Leave In's. This stuff is too a staple. My ends are noticeably stronger and can within more manipulation when using it. (I manipulate daily for bunning and the removal of shed hair. I have fine strands, so if I don't I will get some knots and slight matting :nono:.)

I took the tea blend that I already had and brewed some marshmallow tea and mixed them together. I added a tsp of vitamin e. I used that as my spritz tonight. It seemed to work better than water. Will know how it feels tomorrow.

This worked well for me. This morning my hair was soft. And I was surprised by how easily I was able to separate my twists. It must have been the extra marshmallow root because I have tried the tea rinse before without success. So I will stick with the tea rinse and Qhemet until they run out.

This worked well for me. This morning my hair was soft. And I was surprised by how easily I was able to separate my twists. It must have been the extra marshmallow root because I have tried the tea rinse before without success. So I will stick with the tea rinse and Qhemet until they run out.

Yay for you! I know its been a struggle!

Back