Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013/2014

lamaria211

And faithVA

Sistawithrealhair has shared this method in a few videos when she: washes and DC her hair air dries the uses a lot of oil root to tip especially in the ends, braids or twist up the length and wrapped it in Saran wrap. She leaves her hair this way for 30 days at a time! I only do it from one wash day to the next (so far) .she also has a good video in which she test various oils. Her fav (mine to) is GSO

Angel of the North

Re: Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013

And faithVA

Sistawithrealhair has shared this method in a few videos when she: washes and DC her hair air dries the uses a lot of oil root to tip especially in the ends, braids or twist up the length and wrapped it in Saran wrap. She leaves her hair this way for 30 days at a time! I only do it from one wash day to the next (so far) .she also has a good video in which she test various oils. Her fav (mine to) is GSO

lamaria211 Thanks! I bet the braid/twist outs on wash day are to die for :grin:

trinity8mod8

I have a question. Right now my ends feel really rough, the cuticles are raised on the ends of my hair and they get tangled every time I wet my hair. I just had a trim like a month and 2 weeks ago. Is there a natural treatment I can try cause I really don't want to cut my hair or buy any more products?

I've been using oils to see if that would fix it, but it doesn't. I used shea butter too. I just feel like if I cut my hair, the problem is just going to continue because my ends always need to be trimmed after 3 months and now it has only been 1 month and I'm having the same problems. :sad: I usually keep my hair in twists, I bunned a few days ago, but no matter what style I choose I get the same results.

I was trying to wait until the S-curl that I ordered arrived before making a decision to cut or not, but has S-curl helped any of you ladies fix rough ends?

ToyToy

I have a question. Right now my ends feel really rough, the cuticles are raised on the ends of my hair and they get tangled every time I wet my hair. I just had a trim like a month and 2 weeks ago. Is there a natural treatment I can try cause I really don't want to cut my hair or buy any more products?

I've been using oils to see if that would fix it, but it doesn't. I used shea butter too. I just feel like if I cut my hair, the problem is just going to continue because my ends always need to be trimmed after 3 months and now it has only been 1 month and I'm having the same problems. :sad: I usually keep my hair in twists, I bunned a few days ago, but no matter what style I choose I get the same results.

I was trying to wait until the S-curl that I ordered arrived before making a decision to cut or not, but has S-curl helped any of you ladies fix rough ends?

Have you tried castor oil on your ends? My ends used to be rough too until I started sealing them with a mix of Jamaican Black Castor Oil, carrot oil and jojoba oil. You don't need to mix it, but castor oil is quite thick.
It's worked wonders for my ends. They've never been this smooth. Might be worth a try :yep:.

faithVA

^^I would try that. Don't cut. No matter what I do to my ends they feel rough. If you trim them, it will just be back in a few weeks and you will be trimming away your progress. Maybe its just the change in the weather that is affecting them.

Jewell

Ive lost track of where my castor oil is, so Ive been sealing with a thick moisturizer by Profectiv called Long N Healthy Mega Moisturizer (long since discontinued, but I hold onto products). It is the consistency of honey and has always been great on my hair. I seal my oils in with it since its supposed to moisturize for 24 hrs. Kinda reminds me of Moisture Max in the blue and white bottle

trinity8mod8

ToyToy
No I haven't tried castor oil, actually I just sold the only castor oil I had in the exchange forum because I didn't think I would use it anymore because it was so thick. :spinning: I guess I will go buy some more. Thanks for the suggestion, I hope it works for me too.

^^I would try that. Don't cut. No matter what I do to my ends they feel rough. If you trim them, it will just be back in a few weeks and you will be trimming away your progress. Maybe its just the change in the weather that is affecting them.

faithVA thank you for talking me out of it. I have fine hair strands so maybe that's why they always get roughed up fast? :ohwell: I figured it would just happen again so that's why I got a little depressed about it. I read about hot oil treatments in the natural living forum and I was going to try the avocado and olive oil deep treatment before I buy the castor oil because I already have that here. I was telling my husband that maybe I should have not cut my relaxed ends and just transitioned because I never had a problem with rough ends when my hair was relaxed. I don't know why I am getting this problem as a natural because my hair is supposed to be stronger now instead of being damaged. It doesn't really make sense to me :perplexed

Last edited:

Angel of the North

trinity8mod8 My secret weapon for my ends when they look or feel jacked up is to baggy, there's nothing like it to sort out my dry frizzy ends.

I'm moisturising and sealing three times a week and I must say my ends are doing great, I could actually get away with doing it twice a week. I've been keeping them tucked away, they look and feel like I've been baggying but I haven't. I am feeling very positive about my ends and retention in general, I'm almost 8 weeks into 17 week stretch and my NG is very present but well behaved for the moment.

ETA: I'm using avocado oil and I really like it but I think the double sealing with the butter and oil mix is what has turned things around.

Last edited:

trinity8mod8

Angel of the North Oh thanks, I baggy my hair every night, but maybe I need to double seal my ends too, because I usually just oil my hair once on wash day with almond oil and maybe one other time during the week. I've used avocado oil before, but it left my hair too greasy so I started using shea butter. By the way how often do you trim your ends?

Overall from everyone's responses it seems like I haven't been using enough heavy oils and butters on my ends. I think what I have changed in my regimen is that I've stopped oil rinsing and that seems to have destroyed my ends lol. Because usually I could go a good 3 months before I know that I absolutely have to trim my ends. I'm definitely going to start oil rinsing again and seal my ends with oil and butter from now on.

Thanks again every one for your responses. :)

ToyToy

@faithVA - that used to be me!! I used to trim my hair constantly because I thought I had splits which is why they felt rough.
I tried the castor oil mix I mentioned in my other post (really you can mix it with any oil just to make it less thick), and it's changed everything!! My ends are sooo smooth now (and healthier) :).

faithVA

Angel of the North Oh thanks, I baggy my hair every night, but maybe I need to double seal my ends too, because I usually just oil my hair once on wash day with almond oil and maybe one other time during the week. I've used avocado oil before, but it left my hair too greasy so I started using shea butter. By the way how often do you trim your ends?

Overall from everyone's responses it seems like I haven't been using enough heavy oils and butters on my ends. I think what I have changed in my regimen is that I've stopped oil rinsing and that seems to have destroyed my ends lol. Because usually I could go a good 3 months before I know that I absolutely have to trim my ends. I'm definitely going to start oil rinsing again and seal my ends with oil and butter from now on.

Thanks again every one for your responses. :)

Why did you stop oil rinsing? If it is something you can add back in do so.

I definitely think double sealing he ends would help. If you think about it the ends are the only section of the hair exposed to air all around. And they are also the oldest section. They are going to need more help and more protection than the rest.

faithVA

Thanks for all of the tips ladies. That was helpful to me. I currently have my hair in coils so its difficult to truly moisturize and seal my ends after I put my hair up. But hopefully in the next 2 to 3 months, I will be able to try out some of these suggestions.

trinity8mod8

Why did you stop oil rinsing? If it is something you can add back in do so.

I definitely think double sealing he ends would help. If you think about it the ends are the only section of the hair exposed to air all around. And they are also the oldest section. They are going to need more help and more protection than the rest.

I stopped oil rinsing because I was getting bad acne and I figured that it was one of the culprits. My skin is doing much better now. I'm going to incorporate oil rinsing again and this might just mean that I will need to wash my face 2-3 times per day to prevent acne again. I've never tried double sealing my ends, so I am hoping that if I use both of these methods that I can stretch trimming to only twice per year.

Angel of the North

Angel of the NorthBy the way how often do you trim your ends?

trinity8mod8 I usually trim every time I relax, at the moment that is 3 times a year, however, I found that I was trimming at least 6 inches a year :perplexed. I've decided to start dusting again (once a month) and really taking care of my ends in the hope that I will not need to get so much trimmed off on relaxer day. I'm pretty sure my stylist will try and take off the last of the thin ends, this is the only thing i see preventing me from hitting BSL at the end of March, I'll just have to see how it goes :ohwell: :look:

faithVA

I'm trying to talk myself into DCing my hair tonight. We will see.

faithVA

Doing a honey/olive oil treatment tonight for 90 minutes. Hopefully this will help my ends.

Babygrowth

I just finished dusting my ends. It went well! I felt confident and took my time. Just been spraying my cornrows and sealing daily will wash and treat soon!

Angel of the North

Doing a honey/olive oil treatment tonight for 90 minutes. Hopefully this will help my ends.

I'm glad you managed to get something in tonight :yep:

I'm trying to figure out what I'm gonna do on wash day,this is the dilemma when you've got too many products and only one head. I find it so much easier when I've planned ahead. :perplexed

Last edited:

faithVA

^^Yeah, sometimes I just want to play in my hair. I love washing and conditioning it. I just don't like having to style it after :lol:

trinity8mod8

I just wanted to say that I tried the avocado and oil olive treatment, actually it was from a recipe that I found in this thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=669017

And my ends are really soft and smooth, and they didn't tangle together. I don't feel the roughness at all anymore. I'm really amazed! I still plan to use the other methods as well, but I just thought that I would share that the homemade hot oil treatments definitely work and it was like instant change of my dry hair. :grin:

Here is the recipe that I used:
The Broot's Hydrating Mask Recipe-
Mix half a ripe avocado, a quarter cup mayonnaise, one tablespoon each of coconut oil, olive oil and honey, and two ounces of water.

I put on the treatment, sat under the dryer for 45 min, shampooed and conditioned, detangled and then put my hair in small twists after I finished.

Attachments

• P1256281.jpg
    P1256281.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 42
  • P1256286.jpg
    P1256286.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 45

faithVA

^^Glad it worked for you. Remember to jot it down somewhere so you can remember to use it in the future. :yep:

faithVA

I finished my olive oil and honey treatment. What a mess. But I will continue to do these until I finish all of the honey. That may be 4 or 5 more. I probably will stick with 30 minutes. I could definitely feel the oil. Not sure the honey did much of anything. But time will tell.

Now DCing with AOBC.

trinity8mod8

^^Glad it worked for you. Remember to jot it down somewhere so you can remember to use it in the future. :yep:

Yeah I did, I saved all of the recipes from the website, even though they are all very similar. I do plan to try the recipes with the banana and egg just to see if the treatments come out different somehow. I tried the avocado recipe first because I don't like eating avocados, so I didn't mind if I wasted one lol. I plan to do the treatment monthly or whenever necessary, because it was way too time consuming to do all that today.

faithVA

Sealed my hair with avocado/apricot oil and sealed my ends with castor oil. Will see how that works for a while.

lamaria211

Dusted my ends today, I took off about 1/8" I didn't really need to but I was to close to the scissors to resist :)

faithVA

Talked to someone about my hair, and she said I have probably have mid-shaft splits that as they grow out make my ends look bushy. Hadn't thought of that. That is both good news and bad news. It's bad because I have to find a way to handle the splits. But it's good because now I can stop chasing ways of improving my ends.

I think switching over to a cleansing conditioner and doing more detangling with conditioner will help. I now need to find a better leave-in with slip. And she recommend a light protein to try.

virtuenow

I'd like to be a part of this challenge. I plan to trim my hair once a month until they are thickly evened out. I imagine that may take 6-12 months worth of trims :yep:

faithVA

I'd like to be a part of this challenge. I plan to trim my hair once a month until they are thickly evened out. I imagine that may take 6-12 months worth of trims :yep:

Come on it. This challenge is always open.