Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013/2014

virtuenow

(Copied from my Nail Your Reg. post)

My wash days might take a turn for the better :) This is my second time trying my new airdrying method and I am very pleased with the results. I probably should test for consistency a bit more before I call it a "staple" method but I'm really excited about the results. My ends actually looked really nice when all the water evaporated from my hair! That is huge for me; I've tried to achieve healthy ends from airdrying for SO long and I may finally be on the right track. Again, I need to test it out more for consistent results but I am very happy with my results this time around :grin:

spellinto that's good, what is your new airdrying method?

Angel of the North

My ends are feeling better but they're still not looking great. I have started to heavy seal again with butters and continue to baby my ends, according to my new trimming schedule I am due to dust my ends on the 1st of February.

Dee Raven

Ugh, I straightened my hair yesterday, and the longest layer ends are frazzled. I think it's partially due to the way I straightened because I used curlformers first and they tangle up the hair (won't do that again). Anyways, I'm going to trim an inch in March. I'm looking at the ends now and there are actually no split ends, so I guess it's not as bad as it seems, but maybe I'll start deep conditioning under the dryer for some extra moisture. Also, before I wash, I'm going to make some time to dust my ends really well, especially in the crown area.

Well, I'm off to read the rest of this thread and see what solutions you ladies have found.

Last edited:

faithVA

I am testing out adjusting the ph of my products to see if that has an impact on my hair. I am also drying my hair under the dryer instead of letting it air dry. I changed up a lot of things this wash day. 1. I washed with Natty ACV mist 2: Spritzed my hair with the Natty ACV mist after I applied my leave-in 3. Drying my hair under the dryer.

So far my hair feels better than it usually does.

spellinto

spellinto that's good, what is your new airdrying method?

virtuenow
  1. First I wrap my hair in a t-shirt just until the excess water is gone. I don't leave it on too long or my ends will dry out. Then I apply my creamy leave-in to my ends.
  2. I twist and pin my ends in two sections to my temples and tie down my ends, edges, and nape with a satin scarf. I do not take my scarf and pins down until my roots are almost completely dry. The rest of my hair is usually at least 60% dry at this point.
  3. Next I apply my leave ins in four sections. I only use a dime-to-quarter sized amount of creamy leave-in and two drops of oil to seal (any more and my hair feels weighed down). I finger detangle and fluff through each section after I moisturize and seal it to encourage it to dry a bit more.
  4. Afterwards, I pin the ends of my hair altogether on the top of my head and tie down with a scarf. My hair dries further and feels even softer once I take it down. When I'm sure my hair is fully dry and detangled to my liking, I proceed to crosswrap/style. Viola!

I'm still testing it out but I've had positive results thus far :yep:.

Last edited:

Jace032000

Had my Keratin Treatment touchup a couple of weeks ago and you can tell I desperately need a trim. Tell me why I'm trying to hang on to these ends?? LOL!

Attachments

• 12210062176_019f904907.jpg
    12210062176_019f904907.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 26

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I need this challenge in my life. I have 4b natural heat trained hair. My current length is apl. My ends seem thick and really healthy, but I have short stramds (2inches) all over my head from postpartum shedding and breakage. The short strands give me lots of volume, but i want the short strands to catch up with the longer strands. This might take over a year to do. I plan to trim every 6 months until my halo catches up

Right now im hiding my hair in a wig. I moisturize daily with aloe juice and glycerin. Twice a week I add a creamy leave in and a generous amount of olive oil. I will straighten my hair again in March. Depending on the condition of my ends I might trim at that time

faithVA

Have dusted, trimmed, daily moisturized and heavy sealed. I have done moisture treatments, protein treatments, protective styling, blah, blah, blah. My ends are better but still unhappy.

I got a lot of help and feedback from the ladies. Based on that feedback I have switched to a new product line Natural Oasis which has products that consist of natural oils, herbs, flowers and ACV. I have gotten rid of all shampoos and put my much loved mudwash on the shelf for now. I have also given my conditioners and leave-ins a time out.

I don't think I can salvage the last 1" to 2" of my hair because they are frazzled but I won't be cutting them. I will use this product and put my hair up and dust on a regular schedule. Hopefully, the remaining hair and the new growth will be healthy and I won't use any products to dry my hair out.

I just started using the product on Friday, but I can already tell my hair feels better.

spellinto

It's about that time to snip at my ends again! I will dust in 2 weeks. I can tell that it's time to dust again because my ends are starting to have that familiar prickly feeling, and they don't look as even as they did earlier on.

If I had to pinpoint one thing that threatens the health of my ends, it would be combing. My ends look the worst after I use a comb to detangle. I finger detangle 99% of the time, but eliminating a comb from my regimen isn't an option. My hair is thick, my new growth is coarse, and I shed a lot, so I need a thorough detangling session every 1-2 weeks. I'm working on using better products that will protect my hair and ends during the combing process though.

faithVA

[USER=303161 said:
spellinto[/USER];19613981]It's about that time to snip at my ends again! I will dust in 2 weeks. I can tell that it's time to dust again because my ends are starting to have that familiar prickly feeling, and they don't look as even as they did earlier on.

If I had to pinpoint one thing that threatens the health of my ends, it would be combing. My ends look the worst after I use a comb to detangle. I finger detangle 99% of the time, but eliminating a comb from my regimen isn't an option. My hair is thick, my new growth is coarse, and I shed a lot, so I need a thorough detangling session every 1-2 weeks. I'm working on using better products that will protect my hair and ends during the combing process though.

The L'Oreal Moisture Mask works heavenly as a detangler. May be something to look into.

spellinto

The L'Oreal Moisture Mask works heavenly as a detangler. May be something to look into.

Thanks for the recommendation faithVA! I'm presuming that's the blue deep conditioner? I've seen this in stores and I like how pretty it looks...is it weird that it also looks yummy to me? :lick: lol! I just bought their Erasing Balm, the Just for Me Detangler, AND I ordered Keracare's Hydrating Detangling shampoo, so I will play around with those before I turn to something new...but I will keep your recommendation in mind! :yep:

faithVA

I still had breakage today but it is less than usually. Usually my floor was covered. It was only a few pieces today. Hopefully that is progress. I cut a few splits and knots. And my ends were tangled a bit but not crazy. Considering I only used tea on my hair this week, my hair felt pretty good. :yep:

faithVA

Tonight as I finished putting in flat twist, I realized for the first time in a long time my ends actually felt pretty good. I can't remember the last time that happened. I will keep babying my hair.

faithVA

[USER said:
McQuay30;19658993[/USER]]faithVA. What is the name of the product u use by natural oasis?

I'm actually using 5 of the products from her line

Step 1-Fruit, Herbs & Flowers ACV Rinse Clarifier

Step 2-Honey Creme Liquid Balm

Step 3-Fruit, Herbs & Flowers Oil-Free Balm

Step 4-Honey Gloss & Shine Liquid Balm

and the Herbal Hair & Scalp Conditioner

I just started using the. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks.

McQuay30

I'm actually using 5 of the products from her line

Step 1-Fruit, Herbs & Flowers ACV Rinse Clarifier

Step 2-Honey Creme Liquid Balm

Step 3-Fruit, Herbs & Flowers Oil-Free Balm

Step 4-Honey Gloss & Shine Liquid Balm

and the Herbal Hair & Scalp Conditioner

I just started using the. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks.

What you think is helping your ends?

faithVA

[USER said:
McQuay30;19659289[/USER]]faithVA, how much was the shipping?

:look: I don't know. I don't usually pay attention to shipping unless it is more than the thing I am buying. Let me see if I can find it.

Angel of the North

I have been very hair lazy this past week, I I washed and DC'd but did a sorry job of dusting my ends. I'm going to do a 4-6 hr DC today, then I'm gonna dust again, properly in sections. I have a blue magic organics castor oil hair grease that I bought for my son, he didn't like it so I may try it for heavy sealing.

faithVA

Skipping the shampoo and tea cleansing instead seems to be very beneficial to my ends. I hope to see a noticeable improvement by the end of February.

Pennefeather

My ends feel good today. I'm continuing to use my shea butter mix on the ends. The mix changes almost every week. I think that it is currently shea, mango, avocado butters, mixed w coconut, olive, wheat germ, sweet almond, my fenugreek/rosemary mix, and some beeswax .

I also just got some d'arcy transitioning creme. I like it because it is thick. Sometimes I mix it w my shea butter.

spellinto

I'm supposed to dust my ends today, but I'm putting it off until next weekend when I can perform a protein treatment. I usually like to strengthen my hair before I trim/dust, just so the new ends are strong and moisturized after. Plus I used a disagreeable shampoo this weekend, so I'm waiting until my hair reaches a state of equilibrium again.

Things I need to improve to sustain the good health of my ends include better combing techniques and avoiding poor product choices (those that dry my hair out, cause even more tangles, or cause frizz).

Angel of the North

After 5.5hr DC with fenugreek mixed with oils and treseme naturals, I think my moisture/protein balance is getting back to normal. I dusted my ends and moisturised in sections and my ends are looking and feeling better. I will moisturise and seal before I go to bed and see how I'm doing in the morning, if my ends feel jacked up I will put my hair in a single plait and keep it heavily moisturised and sealed, I know this works

faithVA

My breakage has been reduced by at least 50% and I think more. I'm twisting my hair and its not covered with a million pieces.