Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013/2014

faithVA

[USER=10150 said:
virtuenow[/USER];19492475]faithVA did you (and other ladies) graduate from the Crown & Edges challenge. I didn't hear of everyone's progress.

I don't think most of us updated. And I decided not to host the challenge this year. I am still working on my crown but not hosting a thread focusing on it.

Babygrowth

How do you all protect your ends when you clarify? Do you use clarifying shampoos or other alternatives? I notice that if a shampoo is too drying/stripping my ends scream bloody murder!

I use Elucence and it is very gentle to my hair but I always prepoo with a DC first.

faithVA

I rarely clarify but next time I do or do a protein treatment I will be applying a heavy layer of oil and conditioner to my ends prior to using either.

Jace032000

Last week I had a flexi rod set done…what a disaster! The amount of hairspray and gel that was put on my hair left it in a tangled mess. I broke down and washed the $55 style out --- my ends were breaking off because all of the gel that she "sealed" with. I did a shampoo/wash and put some deep masque shea conditioner on my hair (never using that again btw as my hair felt like a rat's nest afterwards). The whole point of having the roller set done was for protective styling…looks like I did more damage then anything as my hair looks TERRIBLE! After washing it last night I slathered coconut oil all over it--covered my hair and went to sleep. My hair feels okay…but looks awful. Not sure what to do at this point. It's in a pony tail right now…and it can stay there as far as I'm concerned. Feeling pretty discouraged right now...

faithVA

[USER said:
Jace032000;19498993[/USER]]Last week I had a flexi rod set done…what a disaster! The amount of hairspray and gel that was put on my hair left it in a tangled mess. I broke down and washed the $55 style out --- my ends were breaking off because all of the gel that she "sealed" with. I did a shampoo/wash and put some deep masque shea conditioner on my hair (never using that again btw as my hair felt like a rat's nest afterwards). The whole point of having the roller set done was for protective styling…looks like I did more damage then anything as my hair looks TERRIBLE! After washing it last night I slathered coconut oil all over it--covered my hair and went to sleep. My hair feels okay…but looks awful. Not sure what to do at this point. It's in a pony tail right now…and it can stay there as far as I'm concerned. Feeling pretty discouraged right now...

:bighug: I had my hair rollerset at the end of October and my hair went into rebellion. Just keep babying your hair until she recovers. Try some extended DCs and make sure you moisturize and seal your ends nightly.

Jace032000

Thank you so much---there will definitely be a lot of babying here lol. I'm going to take my hair out of this pony tail and give it some TLC…*sigh*

faithVA

[USER said:
Jace032000;19499515[/USER]]Thank you so much---there will definitely be a lot of babying here lol. I'm going to take my hair out of this pony tail and give it some TLC…*sigh*

You caught it early, so your recovery should be quick.

spellinto

Last week I had a flexi rod set done…what a disaster! The amount of hairspray and gel that was put on my hair left it in a tangled mess. I broke down and washed the $55 style out --- my ends were breaking off because all of the gel that she "sealed" with. I did a shampoo/wash and put some deep masque shea conditioner on my hair (never using that again btw as my hair felt like a rat's nest afterwards). The whole point of having the roller set done was for protective styling…looks like I did more damage then anything as my hair looks TERRIBLE! After washing it last night I slathered coconut oil all over it--covered my hair and went to sleep. My hair feels okay…but looks awful. Not sure what to do at this point. It's in a pony tail right now…and it can stay there as far as I'm concerned. Feeling pretty discouraged right now...

Oh wow, I wish your hair the best during it's recovery! It will get better!

Jace032000

Hey ladies---thank you. I broke down and did a honey/olive oil treatment today…I only left it on my hair for 15 mins…but it worked a miracle! My hair feels soo much better. I then detangled in the shower and once I got out put some Cocoa Curls on my hair (a random product I bought on Amazon which turned out to be AMAZING). I slicked my hair into two buns and it now has a beautiful soft wave to it. The Cocoa Curls has silicones in -- my hair loves silicones…but too much of it has the opposite affect.

lamaria211

I've been using a new product on my ends by Garnier
AQUA / WATER / EAU, POLYACRYLAMIDE, PHENOXYETHANOL, AMODIMETHICONE, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, PYRUS MALUS EXTRACT / APPLE FRUIT EXTRACT, LAURETH-7, XYLOSE, TRIDECETH-6, CITRIC ACID, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HCI, LINACOOL, COCOS NUCIFERA OIL / COCONUT OIL, THEOBROMA GRANDIFLORUM SEED BUTTER, SACCHARUM OFFICINARUM EXTRACT / SUGAR CANE EXTRACT / EXTRAIT DE CANNE A SUCRE, LIMONENE, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, CITRONELLOL, CI 19140 / YELLOW 5, CITRUS MEDICA LIMONUM PEEL EXTRACT / LEMON PEEL EXTRACT, CI 15985 / YELLOW 6, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, CI 17200 / RED 33, SODIUM HYDROXIDE

So far I like it
60308441182.jpg

faithVA

Hey ladies---thank you. I broke down and did a honey/olive oil treatment today…I only left it on my hair for 15 mins…but it worked a miracle! My hair feels soo much better. I then detangled in the shower and once I got out put some Cocoa Curls on my hair (a random product I bought on Amazon which turned out to be AMAZING). I slicked my hair into two buns and it now has a beautiful soft wave to it. The Cocoa Curls has silicones in -- my hair loves silicones…but too much of it has the opposite affect.

I saw that cocoa curls in the bss Saturday. Everytime I see it I am tempted to buy it. But I stay away from silicone. Staying from silicone keeps a lot more money in my pocket :lol:

Jace032000

Today was my first day using it---I really like it but now I've been up researching silicones…..I don't want to make my head a silicone junkie lol.

faithVA

I have cowashed more often this week and my hair is feeling a bit better. My ends slightly better. I bit the bullet and dusted them to see if I can stop the breakage. Somehow I am going to make SL this year with healthy ends.

Pennefeather

I have cowashed more often this week and my hair is feeling a bit better. My ends slightly better. I bit the bullet and dusted them to see if I can stop the breakage. Somehow I am going to make SL this year with healthy ends.

faithVA, I really feel for you. You are working so hard to stop those split ends.

Pennefeather

Jace032000, I bet that you used Shea Moisture deep treatment masque. I used it for the second time today, and it's going into the trash. I don't think that it does a good job of moisturizing, even when I added additional olive oil. I'm glad the honey and oil worked for you.

Sorry that you ended up wasting money for your hairstyle. I stopped using hairspray years ago because it dries and breaks my hair. I rarely use gel for the same reason.

Angel of the North

My ends feel and look so dry, I decided to LCO my ends tonight.

L = aphogee green tea constructor layered with aphogee provitamin leave-in
C = bee mine deja's milk
O = avocado oil

I babied my ends and they look and feel great but I will wait and see how it goes tomorrow, if they are still dry I will add some butter to my LCO method. I am considering baggying my ends with conditioner for a couple of hours and then sealing with an oil. I may do that later on in the week.

Jace032000

Jace032000, I bet that you used Shea Moisture deep treatment masque. I used it for the second time today, and it's going into the trash. I don't think that it does a good job of moisturizing, even when I added additional olive oil. I'm glad the honey and oil worked for you.

Sorry that you ended up wasting money for your hairstyle. I stopped using hairspray years ago because it dries and breaks my hair. I rarely use gel for the same reason.

Yes---I did use the Shea Moisture deep treatment mask---and it is going into the trash too unless someone wants it…just pm me lol. Hairspray/gel---trash too and I'll tell my stylist never again!:ohwell:

Angel of the North

EnExitStageLeft :bighug: I've been MIA for a few months RL started to get all crazy on me but I've gotten a handle on it and I'm back. I mean business and I want to see WL and beyond by the end of next year :yep:.

I took my bun down this morning and my ends were moist and looking good compared to how it has been, I was really pleased with the results. I'm gonna follow the same process tonight, it seems like I'm on to a good thing. I've also ordered 4 silk hair bonnets so I'm hoping that they're going to help with both moisture and length retention.

spellinto

(copied from my Nail You Reg. Challenge post)

I tried a new way of airdrying today. Twisted & clipped my ends in two sections to my temples and tied down my ends, edges, and nape with a satin scarf, leaving my roots and length to dry. It looked a little silly but when I took it all down, my roots had dried nicely and my ends didn't dry out. I :love: how my texture looked too! I'll have to keep testing this method for consistency though.

Pennefeather

I tweaked my shea butter to add avocado butter to it and some additional pumpkin oil. Heavy sealing to my ends. I now have shea, coconut , mango, and avocado butter plus olive, grapeseed, almond, and pumpkin oil in the mix. I'm having fun!

faithVA

I have my hair in flat twist extensions and am spritzing twice a day with my marshmallow balm spritz. I will take them out this weekend and put in puffy twists.

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
I would like to join this thread. Sorry I do not have a more recent pic. I just got a touch up this past weekend where my stylist cut 1.5 inches of bad/friend ends :nono:. Even though I was disappointed, I knew in my heart that the ends had to go :yep:. I had been holding on to them for too long and they were cramping my style. I must admit that I stopped DCing 2x a week when I got busy with my new job and I can definitely see the impact of that.

Plan

I plan to condition my ends each night before I tie my head.
I plan to give away all products that do not have glycerine as the 1st/2nd ingredient
I plans to DC 2x per week as I had been doing prior to starting my job in Spring of last year.
I plan on checking in often with this thread and the DC thread in order to remain accountable.
My goal is to see a major improvement on the quality of my ends by my next touch up/texturizer in 4 months

Happy to share ideas with everyone :yep:

Attachments

• DC Lise Watier Powder Dior & LOreal Foundation 004.jpg
    DC Lise Watier Powder Dior & LOreal Foundation 004.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 41

faithVA

[USER=34971 said:
Lisaaa Bonet[/USER];19520411]I would like to join this thread. Sorry I do not have a more recent pic. I just got a touch up this past weekend where my stylist cut 1.5 inches of bad/friend ends :nono:. Even though I was disappointed, I knew in my heart that the ends had to go :yep:. I had been holding on to them for too long and they were cramping my style. I must admit that I stopped DCing 2x a week when I got busy with my new job and I can definitely see the impact of that.

Plan

I plan to condition my ends each night before I tie my head.
I plan to give away all products that do not have glycerine as the 1st/2nd ingredient
I plans to DC 2x per week as I had been doing prior to starting my job in Spring of last year.
I plan on checking in often with this thread and the DC thread in order to remain accountable.
My goal is to see a major improvement on the quality of my ends by my next touch up/texturizer in 4 months

Happy to share ideas with everyone :yep:

Welcome to the thread. Your hair looks very nice :yep:

spellinto

(Copied from my Nail Your Reg. post)

My wash days might take a turn for the better :) This is my second time trying my new airdrying method and I am very pleased with the results. I probably should test for consistency a bit more before I call it a "staple" method but I'm really excited about the results. My ends actually looked really nice when all the water evaporated from my hair! That is huge for me; I've tried to achieve healthy ends from airdrying for SO long and I may finally be on the right track. Again, I need to test it out more for consistent results but I am very happy with my results this time around :grin:

Dee Raven

I would like to join as well. Having health HL ends is my ultimate goal. Currently I have two layers, the top is about an inch from WSL and the bottom is at HL.

My plan is to keep growing, make sure my hair is getting enough moisture and trimming the bottom layer at least once every 3 - 4 months, and the shorter layer every 6 months.

FoxxyLocs

I haven't posted in this thread in a while. My ends are still doing well. I'm still wearing hair straight and bunning, and using castor oil to seal my ends 1-2x/week. My retention for the second half of last year was pretty good, so I'm hoping to keep that going. I'm happy to have a simple regimen that works.