Low Porosity Support Thread

I really need to bite the bullet and get a steamer this year. I have a hooded dryer and have been using that with a plastic cap since I went natural. So since I still struggle with moisture, I think maybe the hooded dryer isn't working as effectively as a hair steamer would. I'll check out if there are any good deals on a steamer, it seems worth the investment. I cannot wait to try that coupled with the water filter and see if I notice a difference.

I really need to bite the bullet and get a steamer this year. I have a hooded dryer and have been using that with a plastic cap since I went natural. So since I still struggle with moisture, I think maybe the hooded dryer isn't working as effectively as a hair steamer would. I'll check out if there are any good deals on a steamer, it seems worth the investment. I cannot wait to try that coupled with the water filter and see if I notice a difference.
Try the water filter first. I have a steamer and it didn't do much for my hair. So see if the filter works first before you spend the money.

@faithVA I just placed an order for some sample sizes from Naturelle Grow. I ordered the Sweet plantain leave in, Marshmallow root conditoner and Lemon & Rosemary scalp scrub. I'll let you know how my hair responds to them.

Try the water filter first. I have a steamer and it didn't do much for my hair. So see if the filter works first before you spend the money.

So I finally bought the water filter....but I cannot get my shower head to come off to save my life :angry2:. I'm going to buy some WD-40 later on to see if that will help to loosen it up. My apt unit is old so I feel like they have never removed that shower head since the building was built; I really hope this works later so I can install it and move forward with my hair washing.

Update: I had to order a different model shower filter. Finally got it installed.

Last edited:
@faithVA Oh wow, and the funny thing is that I had it in my cart, :lachen:! I took it out only because I remember reading that marshmallow root might be helpful for alopecia, so I opted to try that one instead. Next time, I'll pick the HB; I plan to sample more of their products so I can see what works for me.

Soooo, lately, I've been doing some research on hair porosity and I'm beginning to wonder if my hair could in fact be high porosity. Could it be that I've been in the wrong group? o_O As you can see from my previous posts, I am alwaysssssssss complaining about my dry hair dilemma. :cry4:I was looking back at some posts that I wrote in the past year raving about awesome products that I used on my hair and thought I found my holy grail and regimens. But I rarely came back to post that by the end of the day or the next day my hair was back to feeling dry...as if I never applied anything. Where did all my moisture go!!!! It was there a while ago!
:bookworm:As I continued to read up and watch videos discussing high-po hair, it was described as hair that takes in moisture but doesn't keep it. (No more callers, we have a winner!) So high po hair often feels coarse, brittle, and appears limp and dull, etc. In addition, my natural hair history includes bleaching, coloring and heat damage which are common denominators of high-po hair.

Bottom line is the past couple years, I categorized myself as being Low-Po and have been following a primarily low-porosity regimen, yet I still complain about my dryness issues. So I've decided to press the reset button and take a chance testing out a high porosity hair care regimen to see if I notice a difference with my hair. I'm still researching the porosity subject so I can best learn what I need to tweak and I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible this time around.

Side point:The absolute most important factor to me at this point in my hair journey is a healthy scalp. Second to that is a balanced moisture-protein conditioning regimen that works for my hair. I'll use whatever I learn about high porosity hair care to help me achieve those two mini goals. So, I'll see how it goes ladies.

(Btw, I do plan to get a hair analysis done in the near future so I can get a sure result of my hair status)

Last edited:
Soooo, lately, I've been doing some research on hair porosity and I'm beginning to wonder if my hair could in fact be high porosity. Could it be that I've been in the wrong group? o_O )
:badgirl:
You aren't the only one. Start a thread re misdiagnosed hair porosity, and I bet others will chime in.

...and congratz on figuring it out.

Soooo, lately, I've been doing some research on hair porosity and I'm beginning to wonder if my hair could in fact be high porosity. Could it be that I've been in the wrong group? o_O As you can see from my previous posts, I am alwaysssssssss complaining about my dry hair dilemma. :cry4:I was looking back at some posts that I wrote in the past year raving about awesome products that I used on my hair and thought I found my holy grail and regimens. But I rarely came back to post that by the end of the day or the next day my hair was back to feeling dry...as if I never applied anything. Where did all my moisture go!!!! It was there a while ago!
:bookworm:As I continued to read up and watch videos discussing high-po hair, it was described as hair that takes in moisture but doesn't keep it. (No more callers, we have a winner!) So high po hair often feels coarse, brittle, and appears limp and dull, etc. In addition, my natural hair history includes bleaching, coloring and heat damage which are common denominators of high-po hair.

Bottom line is the past couple years, I categorized myself as being Low-Po and have been following a primarily low-porosity regimen, yet I still complain about my dryness issues. So I've decided to press the reset button and take a chance testing out a high porosity hair care regimen to see if I notice a difference with my hair. I'm still researching the porosity subject so I can best learn what I need to tweak and I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible this time around.

Side point:The absolute most important factor to me at this point in my hair journey is a healthy scalp. Second to that is a balanced moisture-protein conditioning regimen that works for my hair. I'll use whatever I learn about high porosity hair care to help me achieve those two mini goals. So, I'll see how it goes ladies.

(Btw, I do plan to get a hair analysis done in the near future so I can get a sure result of my hair status)
Its worth a try. I'm low porosity and my hair is still dry and I've been tested. And my hair is. Olor treated and still low porosity.

High porosity And low porosity hair are often confused. I think it's a good idea to test it out. It. Would solve all of your problems.

Its worth a try. I'm low porosity and my hair is still dry and I've been tested. And my hair is. Olor treated and still low porosity.

High porosity And low porosity hair are often confused. I think it's a good idea to test it out. It. Would solve all of your problems.

@faithVA Yes I thought Komaza stopped taking new clients but I checked today and it seems like now they are. So I will look into getting it done. A member on the board posted about another company that does both hair and scalp analysis, which sounds even more interesting but I was wondering how they're going to be able to analyze my scalp. I thought I would have to be there for them to do that.

Last edited:
I was reading that the hair float test should be done with clean hair. I never did that before. I just did it with my hair in whatever condition it was and the hsir always floated on top of the water. Tonight I decided to do redo the test clean strands if hair....before i could blink my eyes twice, the hair sunk to the bottom like it had an anchor on it. I was shocked. I'm becoming more convinced that i may be team #highporosity now. :bookworm: My research continues...

Last edited:
Sometimes hair can be mixed porosity depending on the overall health of the hair. Hair porosity can also change due to a number of factors. But the key differences between low and high porosity hair is that high porosity hair dries quickly and low porosity hair can take sometimes a day or two to become sufficiently dry. The reality is that afro textured hair tends to be drier regardless of its porosity because the sebum doesn't easily reach down the hair shaft.

Best,
Almond Eyes

@nothidden and @faithVA girl if you were here i would hug you both. :flowers:I absolutely love the water filter. Although its too early to tell any dramatic difference in my hair, i did feel like the water was less harsh on my hair and skin than usual. Having this motivates me to resume cowashing into my midweek regimen. Thx girl.

Last edited:
@faithVA Yes I thought Komaza stopped taking new clients but I checked today and it seems like now they are. So I will look into getting it done. A member on the board posted about another company that does both hair and scalp analysis, which sounds even more interesting but I was wondering how they're going to be able to analyze my scalp. I thought I would have to be there for them to do that.
There is also another company someone mentioned last year that they liked and I think it was less expensive. I will look it up this week and let you know. If I haven't mentioned it by Wednesday please remind me.

@Smiley79 oh the am I low-po or high-po is really confusing! So hang in there.

As for the dryness have you considered pre-poo? Recently I have taken up hot yoga which was making my hair like straw so about 6 weeks ago I guess I started pre-pooing again. First I should mention I am low-po and I use henna faithfully - which for me is key. Back to the pre-poo I use a hybrid of chicoro's method. The way I do it is spray my hair with water so it is damp, then I add a mix of half aloe and half JBCO, then on top of that I use a butter, it does not seem to matter which kind - my hair hates shea butter but even this worked for this. The point is my hair is damp so I think that helps it absorb the aloe and the jbco, the butter just keeps it all in. I tend to leave it on for at least an hour - sometimes overnight with a plastic bag. Then I do my usual routine.

It seems like if you are low-po you will need the water if you are high-po then you will not. If you are not interested in that method I have heard others just use conditioner which for me is not a huge success but maybe for you it will be.

At any rate, maybe it can help reduce the dryness while you are working on nailing your products and regimen.

@Smiley79 oh the am I low-po or high-po is really confusing! So hang in there.

As for the dryness have you considered pre-poo? Recently I have taken up hot yoga which was making my hair like straw so about 6 weeks ago I guess I started pre-pooing again. First I should mention I am low-po and I use henna faithfully - which for me is key. Back to the pre-poo I use a hybrid of chicoro's method. The way I do it is spray my hair with water so it is damp, then I add a mix of half aloe and half JBCO, then on top of that I use a butter, it does not seem to matter which kind - my hair hates shea butter but even this worked for this. The point is my hair is damp so I think that helps it absorb the aloe and the jbco, the butter just keeps it all in. I tend to leave it on for at least an hour - sometimes overnight with a plastic bag. Then I do my usual routine.

It seems like if you are low-po you will need the water if you are high-po then you will not. If you are not interested in that method I have heard others just use conditioner which for me is not a huge success but maybe for you it will be.

At any rate, maybe it can help reduce the dryness while you are working on nailing your products and regimen.

Yes ive done pre poos and it does leave my hair soft but the moisturization seemed to go away as quickly as it came with any method that ive done in the past. The funny thing is that i know i must be doing one or two SIMPLE things incorrectly with my hair and once i figure those simople things out, My hair care journey can really take flight.
My biggest challenge for me is the step following my dc rinse...nailng the proper product combination and technique has always been a hit or miss for me especially since my hair struggles to retain moisture.

Yes ive done pre poos and it does leave my hair soft but the moisturization seemed to go away as quickly as it came with any method that ive done in the past. The funny thing is that i know i must be doing one or two SIMPLE things incorrectly with my hair and once i figure those simople things out, My hair care journey can really take flight.
My biggest challenge for me is the step following my dc rinse...nailng the proper product combination and technique has always been a hit or miss for me especially since my hair struggles to retain moisture.

Oooo that does sound like high-po hair. My issue is getting it in, once it is in it will stay. Of course, I still have to reapply water every day but that is about it.
I wish I had other advice but it sounds like your hair is quite the opposite of mine.
Oh I have one rinse your DC with cool water :drunk:
Here is hoping you nail it in 2016!

Sometimes hair can be mixed porosity depending on the overall health of the hair. Hair porosity can also change due to a number of factors. But the key differences between low and high porosity hair is that high porosity hair dries quickly and low porosity hair can take sometimes a day or two to become sufficiently dry. The reality is that afro textured hair tends to be drier regardless of its porosity because the sebum doesn't easily reach down the hair shaft.

Best,
Almond Eyes

This is how I knew I was low porosity. I was always confused when people said their hair dried in a couple hours. The only way my hair did that was if I barely got my hair wet. Whenever I took time to saturate my hair, it remained wet for days. For example, I washed my hair yesterday morning, was out in 80 degree weather most of yesterday, and some parts of my hair are still damp. If it wasnt 80 degree weather, my hair would still wet, especially in the middle.

Oooo that does sound like high-po hair. My issue is getting it in, once it is in it will stay. Of course, I still have to reapply water every day but that is about it.
I wish I had other advice but it sounds like your hair is quite the opposite of mine.
Oh I have one rinse your DC with cool water :drunk:
Here is hoping you nail it in 2016!

Yup, all this time when I thought I was low-po I was using warm water all the way through, so starting this past weekend I did a cool water rinse after my DC and I will continue to do so and see if I notice a diff. Thanks for the tips and motivation @Ajna

My hair takes hours to dry but not forever. But I also rarely get enough water in my hair which may be why. My hair is never soaking wet as they say. Product sits on my hair. Getting temporary color to take is a beast.

I was even low porosity when I was relaxed and when using permanent color. She's just very reluctant to drink.

This is how I knew I was low porosity. I was always confused when people said their hair dried in a couple hours. The only way my hair did that was if I barely got my hair wet. Whenever I took time to saturate my hair, it remained wet for days. For example, I washed my hair yesterday morning, was out in 80 degree weather most of yesterday, and some parts of my hair are still damp. If it wasnt 80 degree weather, my hair would still wet, especially in the middle.
Yeah, I have dense, low porosity sections. I can wash my hair Sunday afternoon and go to work Monday w/damp hair.

Back