Low Porosity Support Thread

McQuay30

Any low-po that can recommend a good pomade, this seems to moisturize my ends better than anything? I just tried Curls again and awaiting the new results. First tried it and then applied LJC and my ends were together, no frizz, and soft. This time tried it reversed.

Last edited:

blackeyes31626

I have never found a moisturizer or leave-in that my hair liked. But I think that has less to do with the product and more to do with my needing to get more water into my hair during the washing and conditioning process. I think getting more water in early, the moisturizers and leave ins can do what they were intended to do with my hair. Otherwise I am just asking too much of them.

How do you do that, with a alkaline shampoo? So, you don't pre-poo or use coconut oil, huh?

Any low-po that can recommend a good pomade, this seems to moisturize my ends better than anything? I just tried Curls again and awaiting the new results. First tried it and then applied LJC and my ends were together, no frizz, and soft. This time tried it reversed.

Oyin burnt sugar pomade

faithVA

[USER=20656 said:
blackeyes31626[/USER];16248623]How do you do that, with a alkaline shampoo? So, you don't pre-poo or use coconut oil, huh?

Oyin burnt sugar pomade

I don't have any definitive steps to give you. Different ladies in this thread are doin different things.

The alkaline shampoo is one suggestion. Others are using baking soda. Some are adding castille soap to their conditioner.

I am trying various things. I have eliminated a lot of things out of my regimen: coconut oil, henna, as much protein as possible. And I am doing the curly girl method.

I've have tried prepooing. Depending on what I use it helps with detangling but so far it hasn't done much more. Tonight I am prepooing with honey and EVOO. I will see if it works.

MaraWithLove

Today I had a good hair day and I'm not sure what contributed most to it! Possibly the ACV being used for clarifying? Idk.

To begin with, my hair was an unkempt 3 day twist-out and everything was done on sectioned hair (6 sections).

Here's what I did:
1. Spritzed scalp with tea spritz
2. Wet hair from root to tip with an ACV mixture and let sit under a shower cap for ~30 minutes, washed out w/very warm water *by this stage the curls were already popping*
3. Co-washed w/Tresemme naturals nourishing moisture
4. Applied Claudie's renew protein conditioner, left in for ~30 minutes, washed out with very warm water
5. Applied DC (organix awapuhi ginger) and left in for ~45 mins, washed out w/luke warm water
6. Applied DB Sweet Cocoa Bean Curl Smoothing Cream
7. Sealed with DB peach kernel oil

Other notes:
So, my hair felt good moisture-wise and strength-wise after Claudie's protein treatment. I honestly think the organix conditioner, though it says it's moisturizing, is more of a protein conditioner and it has keratin in it...this is probably why my hair did not feel as good rinsing this out as it did the first treatment-too much protein is not good. Luckily, it wasn't an overload. The conditioner seems balanced between protein and moisture but I guess what my hair wanted most today was a really moisturizing DC. The part of my hair which seems most sensitive to protein is the crown-also the driest area usually.

Today was my first wash n'go in a week or so and weird thing is my hair definitely looked longer today when I was through with my hair. It has to be because I just had a twist-out days ago, right? o_O

I'm facing the reality that my hair just does not like twists. Only after taking twists out do I really encounter ends sticking together or any kind of tangling. Hmm...

Sorry for the book of a post ladies!

BlkMane

My entire head of hair is NOT low porosity, but I have patches of low porosity/wiry hair. I have a small patch on my crown and another small patch 2 inches or so below that in the back. The rest of my hair can be super soft with the products I use and those patches will just "repel" everything.

What I've found that helps...

1. Water! Internally and on my hair. The more water I drink, the healthier and softer my hair feels. I also use a hair mist on my roots/scalp which I rub into my hair at night before putting it up for bed. The low porosity patches are somewhat softer the next day. My hair mist contains rose water, rosemary & sage, aloe and several drops of oil.

2. I also take evening primrose oil (capsules), 1300mg daily. And Vitamin E capsules a few times a week. My skin and hair are slightly softer than "normal" when I take these oil pills.

3. DC with steam/heat using creamy conditioners mixed with oils (like jojoba avocado and castor oil). Works for me. Not holy grail solution, but it does help.

4. Using mostly natural products on my hair. Aubrey Organics (everything but the shampoos) and Shea Moisture products are staples. Very seldom do I put products on my hair that are full with chemicals.

5. Keratin conditioners! I've found that using a deep conditioner containing Keratin (Nunaat Hair Mask is my fav) softens up those wiry hairs a lot.

6. Na-PCA spray, which is a moisturing liquid, like water). I apply this after shampooing and then add my light conditioner on top. I rinse out the conditioner after about 5 minutes. This is on days I'm not doing a deep condition as I find that the Na-PCA spray works better when not left on too long. I use the spray that DOES NOT contain aloe.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=469

MaraWithLove

I bought the Kera Care leave-in (natural textures) today! :grin: I also bought curls curlada conditioner and was given a sample: III Sisters of Nature Sweet Bounce Back. Will see how these work for my low-po hair! ^.^

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
My hair didnt like the Dew or Honeyhemp,i was so hopeful that it may and smooth,moisturized ends. Like the gregg juice, pending burnt sugar pomade.

@McQuay30, I like Oyin Honey Hemp & BSP. Why are you looking to moisturize with a pomade? I consider pomade a sealer. Perhaps I'm wrong for thinking so.

I bought the Kera Care leave-in (natural textures) today! :grin: I also bought curls curlada conditioner and was given a sample: III Sisters of Nature Sweet Bounce Back. Will see how these work for my low-po hair! ^.^
Please keep us posted @MaraWithLove. What kind of tea spritz did you use the other day when posting you had good results?

@faithVA, have you tried Bee Mine Luscious for a moisturizer? It is my staple moisturizer.

blackeyes31626

My hair didnt like the Dew or Honeyhemp,i was so hopeful that it may and smooth,moisturized ends. Like the gregg juice, pending burnt sugar pomade.

How did you use the Dew and HH?
I really like the juices as a refresher too.
From my experiences the bsp worked better on already moisturized hair.

faithVA

[USER=104981 said:
McQuay30[/USER];16252043]@faithVA How is the Left Coast Lemon Mudwash is working for your ends?

I don't use it on my ends. I primarily use the mud on my scalp. I may use it on the top section of my hair and it feels great. But I don't usually spread it throughout my hair. I think when I did that in the past it made them even more porous than they already are.

faithVA

@McQuay30, I like Oyin Honey Hemp & BSP. Why are you looking to moisturize with a pomade? I consider pomade a sealer. Perhaps I'm wrong for thinking so.

Please keep us posted @MaraWithLove. What kind of tea spritz did you use the other day when posting you had good results?

@faithVA, have you tried Bee Mine Luscious for a moisturizer? It is my staple moisturizer.

No I have't tried anything from online yet.

I'm currently doing the curly girl method and using the Deva Curl products. So I am giving those a try until August when I get my hair cut. I will reassess after that.

I did find a DC with no protein from Komaza and I think MyHoneyChild has one as well.

MaraWithLove

divachyk So I definitely like the KeraCare leave-in. It's just the right blend between light and heavy, moisturizes without weighing my hair down!

Ah, the tea spritz I used was Darcy's Herbal leave-in conditioning spritz-has plenty of herbs in it and a peppermint like scent. Since it was getting low I brewed some black tea and added it to the bottle. I like using it on my scalp! :)

divachyk

faithVA said:
No I have't tried anything from online yet.

I'm currently doing the curly girl method and using the Deva Curl products. So I am giving those a try until August when I get my hair cut. I will reassess after that.

I did find a DC with no protein from Komaza and I think MyHoneyChild has one as well.

Does the Deva Curl lo poo work great(if you've tried it)? I purchased this from Ulta. Hope it works great.

faithVA

[USER=201322 said:
divachyk[/USER];16277351]Does the Deva Curl lo poo work great(if you've tried it)? I purchased this from Ulta. Hope it works great.

From my first few uses of them I think they work fine if you use them together - No Poo/Low Poo; conditioner and then some styling product. But they probably leave your hair feeling jacked up if you use them by themselves just because of the way they are formulated.

I'm not saying you can't use them by themselves but you need to follow them with something that will balance them out. After you use the poo :look:, your hair is going to feel weird, so you will have to use the right conditioner behind it to make it feel normal.

I usually disregard things when they say use the whole line. But in this case, I think it applies.

You may want to just try it on a small section of your hair on a day you are going to DC.

divachyk

From my first few uses of them I think they work fine if you use them together - No Poo/Low Poo; conditioner and then some styling product. But they probably leave your hair feeling jacked up if you use them by themselves just because of the way they are formulated.

I'm not saying you can't use them by themselves but you need to follow them with something that will balance them out. After you use the poo :look:, your hair is going to feel weird, so you will have to use the right conditioner behind it to make it feel normal.

I usually disregard things when they say use the whole line. But in this case, I think it applies.

You may want to just try it on a small section of your hair on a day you are going to DC.

faithVA, thank you. Wow, that's interesting regarding Deva Curl. Didn't know the products were formulated such that you should use the entire line. I really can't afford to have a bunch of shampooing issues. I was on the quest for the perfect no sulfate shampoo. Looks like I should stick with CON Argan and call it a day. Does the hair feel like clarified stripped after using Deva Curl?

faithVA

@faithVA, thank you. Wow, that's interesting regarding Deva Curl. Didn't know the products were formulated such that you should use the entire line. I really can't afford to have a bunch of shampooing issues. I was on the quest for the perfect no sulfate shampoo. Looks like I should stick with CON Argan and call it a day. Does the hair feel like clarified stripped after using Deva Curl?

That is why I suggested just try it on a small section. It isn't damaging. It just feels weird. Then you will be able to tell if your regular conditioner will adjust your hair back. I haven't used a regular conditioner behind it so I can't say if it adjusts back naturally or not.

The hair doesn't feel stripped. It feels clean. It feels hydrated and it feels bare. It's not dry. But there is nothing slippery in this poo though. I've used clay, mud, sulfate shampoos, sulfate free, natural shampoos, shampoo bars and I've never had anything that feels like this where I could describe it to you. It is different but not bad. The closests I can get is that its closer to what you hair feels like when you wash it with clay.

Its probably the feeling you would get if you took aloe vera and put a whole bunch of herbs and stuff in your hair and tried to wash it :perplexed: I guess its what clean feels like.

McQuay30

I am looking to moisturize but the pomade seems the only thing to hold the moisture in and reduce the frizz on my ends. I try a sample of Oyin and it doesn't have the same effect as Curls. I washed with bentonite mixed with a AOGPD, Argan oil, water, ACV, Aloe juice, and peppermint oil, my curls were define and semi soft, let air dry a bit, applied Curly Kinks leave-in and let it sit for about half hour, more argan oil, followed by Darcy Tucuma buter and finally Oyin Burnt Sugar, cornrow, morning soft hair until the ends, not as frizzy but still more than the Curls and a little dry ends. Anyway I am getting a bit tried of trying things just for my ends. The Curls pomade work but, their is always a but....

McQuay30

I don't use it on my ends. I primarily use the mud on my scalp. I may use it on the top section of my hair and it feels great. But I don't usually spread it throughout my hair. I think when I did that in the past it made them even more porous than they already are.

Ohhhh... I have been using the Cool Mint for the entire length of my hair and normally it defines and soft the entire hair. I am thinking about using it has my cleaser/condtioner and only apply a good leave-in, "I like Curly Kinks" and seal and move on. This haircare is suppose to be simple!!!

faithVA

Ohhhh... I have been using the Cool Mint for the entire length of my hair and normally it defines and soft the entire hair. I am thinking about using it has my cleaser/condtioner and only apply a good leave-in, "I like Curly Kinks" and seal and move on. This haircare is suppose to be simple!!!

It is supposed to be :lol:

I think it is simple for people who don't run into big problems or have hair conditions.

If the mudwash works well on your hair I would just use it as you always do. If you have found what works keep doing what you are doing.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
hey ladies,

haven't checked in in awhile.

i have been deep conditioning and co washing like religion! what seems to "work" for me is wetting my hair every three days and sealing my ends with castor oil jelly (unpetroleum jelly). i apply my moisturizer and leave ins and then seal with the jelly. so far this has kept some level of moisture in my chemically treated ends.

when i do not do this, my hair looks like feathery cotton. it just is soft and puffy and has no body or hold or weight....if that makes sense.

at this point i am just trying to protect them the best i can until eventually i trim them all away,

divachyk

I am looking to moisturize but the pomade seems the only thing to hold the moisture in and reduce the frizz on my ends. I try a sample of Oyin and it doesn't have the same effect as Curls. I washed with bentonite mixed with a AOGPD, Argan oil, water, ACV, Aloe juice, and peppermint oil, my curls were define and semi soft, let air dry a bit, applied Curly Kinks leave-in and let it sit for about half hour, more argan oil, followed by Darcy Tucuma buter and finally Oyin Burnt Sugar, cornrow, morning soft hair until the ends, not as frizzy but still more than the Curls and a little dry ends. Anyway I am getting a bit tried of trying things just for my ends. The Curls pomade work but, their is always a but....

Oh ok so you're looking to seal with the pomade? I thought you were looking to moisturize with it. McQuay30

That is why I suggested just try it on a small section. It isn't damaging. It just feels weird. Then you will be able to tell if your regular conditioner will adjust your hair back. I haven't used a regular conditioner behind it so I can't say if it adjusts back naturally or not.

The hair doesn't feel stripped. It feels clean. It feels hydrated and it feels bare. It's not dry. But there is nothing slippery in this poo though. I've used clay, mud, sulfate shampoos, sulfate free, natural shampoos, shampoo bars and I've never had anything that feels like this where I could describe it to you. It is different but not bad. The closests I can get is that its closer to what you hair feels like when you wash it with clay.

Its probably the feeling you would get if you took aloe vera and put a whole bunch of herbs and stuff in your hair and tried to wash it :perplexed: I guess its what clean feels like.

Thanks @faithVA

gvin89

Is anyone pre-pooing, co-washing, or dc'ing weekly? It's been suggested that my failure to do so weekly is contributing to my hair's inability to retain moisture.

faithVA

Is anyone pre-pooing, co-washing, or dc'ing weekly? It's been suggested that my failure to do so weekly is contributing to my hair's inability to retain moisture.

I have always DCd weekly. I prepoo sometimes. Going to prepoo tonight with EVOO and honey. I don't do this regularly enough to say whether it works.

I just started cowashing several times a week about 6 weeks ago. This is the only thing I have noticed that has man a difference in my hair.

This week I cowashed every night and in this 107 degree temperature my hair isn't falling off my head.

Evolving78

i do an oil treatment, wash, and dc twice a week. i think removing buildup and using light moisturizers are helping me to retain moisture.

faithVA

[USER=98259 said:
gvin89[/USER];16294137]Is anyone pre-pooing, co-washing, or dc'ing weekly? It's been suggested that my failure to do so weekly is contributing to my hair's inability to retain moisture.

What is your weekly regimen?

faithVA

[USER=98259 said:
gvin89[/USER];16297499]@faithVA, I wash bi-weekly
Shampoo with a shampoo bar unless clarifying
Dc/steam with strinilah or aohsr
Leave-in then air dry

If the AOHSR is working for you keeping using it. If it is not considering using a lighter conditioner or mixing it with a lighter conditioner so it soaks in more.

I'm not a big proponent of if you do this then tada it will work because that has never worked for me :lol:

I have found with doing the CG method for the past few weeks that the more often I wet my hair the better my hair felt. And I don't think it has to do with prepooing, DCing or cowashing as much as I am not letting it dry out so much in between. So instead of wetting my hair 1x a week and it drying out in between, now it is only drying out 3 days before I wet it again. Does that make sense.

I know that wetting my hair at least every 3 days makes a difference. But I am still playing around with this.

You may want to try staying with the shampoo every 2 weeks but DCing or cowashing more often.

MaraWithLove

So remember when I said I'd have to face the fact that twists weren't for me? I'm thinking I was wrong to say that. They're coming out just fine and I'm almost certain it was resultant of the products I used! Also, I don't know if the drying effect of isopropyl alcohol (in tresemme naturals conditioner) contributed to how my ends were sticking together? But I'm guessing that can account for my recent dryness! Also, after a careful look over my products-via help from a member in a thread-I realize almost ALL of the products I've been using lately have had some type of protein in them. SMH you'd think I'd have noticed! >.< I've basically been suffering from protein overload and didn't know it. :look: Any really moisturizing DCs you ladies would recommend? I'm on the lookout. :sekret:

So that's a NO to:
Darcy's pumpkin leave in condish
Tresemme naturals conditioner (original formula at least)
Organix Awapuhi ginger conditioner (got a refund :look:)
ACV rinses (for the time being, just so I'm not closing my cuticle too much)

Other notes:
Do you ladies also have trouble with butters and thick creams? Also, do you notice that your hair likes different products when flat-ironed/straight than when in its natural state? When my hair is straight, that's the only time my hair will settle for a butter or thick cream. So, I have a pretty full jar of Darcy's curl styling cream eyeing me...but that's okay because my sister (who wears her hair straight most of the time and has fine, thin hair unlike me) really likes it. It's a shame I've passed on more products than I've enjoyed. :look: :lol:

Tonight I started twisting my (dry, stretched) hair with: Darcy's sweet cocoa bean moisturizing hair balm, KeraCare Natural Textures Leave-in and Tiffani ceramide pomade by Claudie. Turning out great so far, only time will tell! :yep: