Low porosity fix for my 4b hair-Ghee! (Long)

nomadpixi

So I'm trying the Curly Girl method but the shrinkage was so awful it made detangling a recipe for massive hair loss.

for years I kept reading "properly moisturised hair does not shrink as badly". But after 3 days of wash and go's with too many knots to speak of, I'd had enough. I started to read a thread recently bumped: Vintage Hair Care Posts prior Sept 30, 2005 (Thank you Mahalialee4!) and read about Ghee hair treatments from East Africa and also the Cherry Lola treatment for low porosity hair problems. So here's what I did:

1. Did a cherry lola treatment on dry, dirty hair for 30 minutes.

2. Did a cool water rinse, but hair was rough/weird-used Giovanni Smooth as silk to smooth. Not bad, but hair still felt like it needed something.

3. Patted hair damp and added my ghee to small sections, starting at the ends of the hair then twisting sections-about 10-12 twists

A revelation - hair knots melted away and ends no longer curled so tightly, slightly looser just more manageable

4. Chucked a plastic cap on and tied it in a silk scarf then went to bed. I was already liking what my hair was behaving like at this stage.

5. Washed scalp in morning with Tres Semme naturals shampoo, then conditioned with Garnier Fructis. My hair finally started taking the conditioner!

6. Please forgive the crappy picture(s) (I am NOT a morning person).In the day one pic it is knotted as all get out. In the day three pic have a small amount of Eco Styler in my hair and that's it. It's a bit greasy now, but who cares, it's no longer DRY. I am so HAPPY!

If you're low porosity and your ends are giving you heck, try this. I'm so glad I did. I'm doing this for the next week (ends only) to see if the ends get better.

Anybody else tried Ghee and or Cherry Lola?

Attachments

• CG-Day-One.jpg
    CG-Day-One.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 76
  • CG-Day-Three-after-treatmen.jpg
    CG-Day-Three-after-treatmen.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 74

phyl73

I've seen this product in the store before. Is it for moisture? I need something for the winter months. I noticed this in the past few weeks when the weather became a bit colder.

nomadpixi

For me it did a great job of moisturising, especially my ends. It's a tad greasy, but I may have gone a bit heavyhanded after noticing how nice my hair was behaving.

I can officially do a wash and go now. My hair strands are dry now and my hair FINALLY has movement-DRY. It's a miracle. I do think my personal problem was the low porosity, which the baking soda helped, but the moisture was definitely fix by the Ghee.

nomadpixi

I'm in Australia and I found mine in the grocery store next to the butter and vegetable shortening. If you have a local Indian grocery you may find it there too. In the Indian grocery stores sometimes you can find it in a can.

ChocolatePie777

Kinda heard of it......so its like a product or butter?

And as for the curly girl method...you dont have to do wash and gos

PatTodd

Dlewis, who was a longterm member here, started a huge thread about the benefits of ghee on her hair.

nomadpixi

I guess Ghee is a butter product :) I think someone said they also got it at Trader Joes. DLewis has some amazing hair.

As far as the hair goes, I don't mind a bit of shrinkage, but my hair stretched is 8inches and shrinks to a dull frizzy 1.5 inches. It's like having big chop hair for 2 years. Kinda demoralizing. But my hair now is shiny and even has a little hang. The key was to fix both the porosity problem and the moisture problem. The Cherry Lola and then Ghee treatment did the trick.

Yeah!