Dying your hair to 'fix' low porosity?

SweetSpirit86

I was sitting around fighting myself trying not to pull out my SSK's when I thought randomly..."Can you dye your hair to increase the porosity of low porosity hair?" I guess what I'm thinking is dye supposedly raises the cuticle, right? So would this help someone with low porosity? Do you think it would be a good thing to try out on myself? I've got these weird splits (think a split end that hasn't completely split off and is in the middle of the strand) and the only thing I can thing of that could be causing it is how dry my hair is. I'm STILL having the same dryness issues no matter what product I use. I'm SO ready to run some relaxer through my hair it's not even funny.

ms.blue

I think dying your hair won't help the problem of dry hair, I think that would make it worst b/c of the chemicals. Have you tried using porosity control and rinsing your hair with cold water. As for ssk either braid your hair all the way down to your ends or blow drying your hair to minimize ssk developing on your hair. Hth

SelfStyled

If you have low porosity you are absolutely right PC will only make it worse. I have low porosity so I can relate. The problem for us is that our cuticles are closed very, very tightly. PC closes cuticles- we don't need that.

I am copying some info from a pm, from our own lovely Gymfreak336 about this very topic...."This is also why color like demi-permanent color is beneficial for people with very resistant cuticle layers. Demi perm. color uses 10vol developer which can't lift any of your color but will soften your cuticle"

Looks like Demi Perm color might be a solution- Hth.

Vintageglam

Thanks, and yes...I've tried PC and cold water. PC seems to make it worse. :( I don't know what to do anymore.

Umm interesting... I think you maybe onto something there in relation to me....

If you have low porosity you are absolutely right PC will only make it worse. I have low porosity so I can relate. The problem for us is that our cuticles are closed very, very tightly. PC closes cuticles- we don't need that.

I am copying some info from a pm, from our own lovely Gymfreak336 about this very topic...."This is also why color like demi-permanent color is beneficial for people with very resistant cuticle layers. Demi perm. color uses 10vol developer which can't lift any of your color but will soften your cuticle"

Looks like Demi Perm color might be a solution- Hth.

SS,

How would I work out if I had low or high porosity?

Thanks

x Stella

locabouthair

I believe I have low porosity. Most conditioners dont do anything for my hair.
I have VERY coarse hair, that almost feels like wire.

I did the porosity test, I believe if your hair sinks you have high porosity, mine didn't sink. I thought I did something wrong.

I guess I just accept mine:ohwell: Not sure if I would dye it.

SweetSpirit86

I believe I have low porosity. Most conditioners dont do anything for my hair.
I have VERY coarse hair, that almost feels like wire.

I did the porosity test, I believe if your hair sinks you have high porosity, mine didn't sink. I thought I did something wrong.

I guess I just accept mine:ohwell: Not sure if I would dye it.

Yeah, when I did it, my hair was just sitting on top of the water.

I just used Jazzing clear rinse on my hair this morning...but I don't see any difference yet. I just really want to find a fix, ya know? I love the way my hair looks...the curls...but if I can't keep any of my danged hair, I may as well go back to relaxing seeing as I KNOW how to care for it and can reach BSL no problem. I just miss my hair. I'm so frustrated.

jetbeauty09

For me, my hair seems to thrive after color. I colored right after BC and I had no breakage problems, I dyed my hair back to black some months later and all of a sudden I had ALOT of breakage and nothing helped. I just lightened again on 1/1/10 and my hair doesn't break like it used to!!

Everyone on here said I had low porosity and I tried all the tips and my hair was still breaking. I don't know what it was but its doing much better now. I will keep the coloring up in a modest way (so as not to overdo it).

locabouthair

Yeah, when I did it, my hair was just sitting on top of the water.

I just used Jazzing clear rinse on my hair this morning...but I don't see any difference yet. I just really want to find a fix, ya know? I love the way my hair looks...the curls...but if I can't keep any of my danged hair, I may as well go back to relaxing seeing as I KNOW how to care for it and can reach BSL no problem. I just miss my hair. I'm so frustrated.

I believe that rinses help hair with high porosity. Not that it would damage hair with low porosity but it might not make it any better. But I'm still not giving up my black rinse:nono: :lol:

Do all the ladies here have coarse strands?